Author Topic: Mk4 2021 Jazz Brake failure  (Read 161639 times)

Jinbeizame

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz M4
Re: Mk4 2021 Jazz Brake failure
« Reply #240 on: April 28, 2024, 12:59:32 PM »
My Honda Jazz, bought in Feb 2021, has developed this fault. Being a Japanese person I can check this issue in various Japanese sites (official Honda HP, etc), try to find out what's happening there. It appears Honda has issued same (or similar) product recall registered in Japan and China respectively with slightly different tones. In Japan, Honda issued the product recall relating to the failed Brake Operating Simulator involving 530K cars (across the latest models), made btwn 2/7/2018 and 15/9/2022, but in China Honda's recall sounds a little bit different (I think the same issue though).  In Japan, the main culprit is identified as corroded Brake Operating Simulator where excess oil which spilled over the electronic component or contacts, resulting in a loss of signals. The oil mentioned here is applied in production process of the Simulator, not coming from outside the unit.
I have called the Honda Assistant only to be told my Jazz is out of warranty by 3 months, can't offer any help. I thought the Honda 5 year service plan of mine could help in any way but it became clear 5 year service plan is not same as 5 year warranty. Soon I will visit my Honda dealer driving my Jazz with reduced brake performance. I hope my right foot is still strong enough to control the car.  By the way I also have another Honda car, 2022 HRV which use the same doomed Simulator.  I learn Honda has suffered a series of bake issues involving mainly their K-cars in recent years.  Do I look for elsewhere when buying a next car?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #241 on: April 28, 2024, 02:57:04 PM »
Which just confuses me why some countries are being ignored

If Japan and China have a recall then why not global !!!!!
Let's be careful out there !

Spodric

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR I-MMD CVT 2020
« Reply #242 on: April 28, 2024, 04:50:47 PM »
My Honda Jazz, bought in Feb 2021, has developed this fault. Being a Japanese person I can check this issue in various Japanese sites (official Honda HP, etc), try to find out what's happening there. It appears Honda has issued same (or similar) product recall registered in Japan and China respectively with slightly different tones. In Japan, Honda issued the product recall relating to the failed Brake Operating Simulator involving 530K cars (across the latest models), made btwn 2/7/2018 and 15/9/2022, but in China Honda's recall sounds a little bit different (I think the same issue though).  In Japan, the main culprit is identified as corroded Brake Operating Simulator where excess oil which spilled over the electronic component or contacts, resulting in a loss of signals. The oil mentioned here is applied in production process of the Simulator, not coming from outside the unit.
I have called the Honda Assistant only to be told my Jazz is out of warranty by 3 months, can't offer any help. I thought the Honda 5 year service plan of mine could help in any way but it became clear 5 year service plan is not same as 5 year warranty. Soon I will visit my Honda dealer driving my Jazz with reduced brake performance. I hope my right foot is still strong enough to control the car.  By the way I also have another Honda car, 2022 HRV which use the same doomed Simulator.  I learn Honda has suffered a series of bake issues involving mainly their K-cars in recent years.  Do I look for elsewhere when buying a next car?

Hi. Sorry to read that you have suffered the same brake failure. Glad to hear that you are Japanese. Your input could be very valuable, because in my experience Honda UK and Honda Japan appear to be making inconsistent statements and decisions about the same brake failure problem.

My 5 year service plan document date 09 December 2020 is headed Honda 5 Year Care Package. You should check your document from Honda to see what it does in fact cover. Hopefully yours will be identical to mine. Your dealer service department should see that there is a 5 year warranty in place if they bother to check it properly on their computer. My dealer overlooked it and told me that the 3 year warranty had expired and quoted me the cost of the repair, until I reminded them that I had the 5 year warranty extension. Then they checked and admitted I was right.

My Honda 5 Year Care Package includes the 5 year Warranty and 5 year Hondacare Assistance. The Honda Administration Office that I contacted confirmed that the "repair" i.e. replacement of the failed brake simulation module would be covered by the Warranty, assuming that the dealer diagnosed this issue, which they did. The dealer obtained Honda's authorisation to carry out the repair under Warranty. The Hondacare Assistance is effectively AA Relay Plus, so there should be no need to risk driving your Jazz to the dealership without assisted braking. I arranged that the AA should tow mine to the dealership workshop, after the AA agent had confirmed that my Jazz couldn't be repaired at the roadside, and was not driveable.

Let us know if you in fact have the 5 year extended warranty. It doesn't surprise me that Honda UK isn't playing fair now that more of these brake simulator module failures are occurring. Yours is the 10th example on this thread. Don't let Honda UK fob you off and make you pay unnecessarily.

Jinbeizame

• Approved Member
« Reply #243 on: April 28, 2024, 04:56:12 PM »
This is in my opinion the standard practice in motor industry. They choose the market whether product recall is really needed. In my long motoring life (spanning 65 years) I would like to say European manufacturers are worse than Japanese. They seem to ignore many design faults or manufacturing faults up until Government involvement has rarely forced them to do the right thing. Modern cars are designed heavily computer biased, I always drive with this in mind. Modern driver assist functions (auto cruise, etc) are typical examples, no matter how fail-safe system is built-in. Drive safe!!!

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2024, 05:43:34 PM »
When I purchased mine in Sept 2022, i took the min Honda finance and paid the balance off after 6 monthly payments, this entitled me to the 5 year service package. The warranty remains at 3 years as the 5 year service on offer at that time is not the same as the customer care package, which adds an additional 2 years warranty and breakdown assistance.
At that time I was not offered a customer care package, which according to the latest website, is available for an additional £399, paid at the same time.
It's not yet clear to me, if I will be able to obtain such a care package prior to the end of the 3 year warranty, since the 5 year service was not paid for, but part of a promotion.
Here is the current small print:

The Plan Price must be paid before the expiry of the applicable campaign period as notified to you on
the Honda UK website or by the Authorised Honda Retailer. Payment of Plan Price after the expiry of the Campaign Period will not be valid and you will not be entitled to the Service Plan.

he details of your Honda Five Year Care Package are summarised below:
Detail
Start Date
Plan Duration
Service Plan
Hondacare Assistance
<<Quote_Retailer_ Product.Quote.Veh icle_Registered_da te__s>>
5 years or 62,500 miles, whichever comes first.
5 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Warranty
5 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes first.
This is made up of the 3 year manufacturer’s warranty which is provided as standard followed by the 2 year Honda Extended Guarantee which is provided pursuant to this Honda Five year care package.

Has anyone actually paid for an extended warranty at the end of the 3 year period and what was the cost and number of years covered?

Cobb2

• Approved Member
« Reply #245 on: April 28, 2024, 08:58:27 PM »
Even if you only have a 3 year warranty Jinbeizeme, do not accept paying for what is obviously a manufacturing fault of a vital safety part. If you haven't done so already do read through this increasingly lengthy thread and you will see that some of us are beginning to get some success in dealing and communicating with Honda. Look at some of the advice given by several contributors and this may help if your dealer is not supportive.
DVSA are still awaiting for a response from Honda which I was told originally would be within 7 days of them asking but they have now told me that Honda have up to 28 days. My dealer has actually been very supportive and apologetic to me and they have informed me that Honda UK have now asked them to send them two of the faulty parts from my car and another one with similar range VIN numbers (early 2020). However, Honda hadn't sent the replacement parts then but apparently they just have this weekend- so perhaps my car will be repaired soon. Hopefully this can be encouraging news for others and not just me. If Honda do honour all the customers in the right way and also make a recall perhaps we can get back to enjoying what is essentially an excellent car. Any car can develop a fault but the reputation of Honda does depend on how they deal with a problem now and in the future.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 09:01:20 PM by Cobb2 »

Tinny

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 202
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2024, 09:17:40 AM »
Just an update for you all.

Post the brake simulator repair, the steering on my Jazz continued to be a problem.  Last week at a speed of 40 mph random amber warnings appeared on the screen, similar to the experience of the initial fault.

As I’m banned from the original dealership who carried out the repair and dealt with my subsequent visits when I complained that the car wasn’t driving properly, I took the car to another Honda dealership.

I was told that the problem was related to the brake simulator repair, whereby fault codes that remained uncleared at the time of the repair, resulted in the issues I was experiencing.

After 11 weeks of misery, I am cautiously optimistic that the issues have been resolved but have taken the matter up with Honda.

Good luck to all of you going through this extremely frustrating experience.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #247 on: April 29, 2024, 09:50:21 AM »
I have my 22 reg. model in for its second service in a couple of weeks.

Is it worth asking, for the simulator to be given a second coat of looking at, during the underbody inspection, or are there no external (moist) clues, of an upcoming problem?

Hope that this problem is resolved, on what is a terrific little car.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #248 on: April 29, 2024, 10:42:52 AM »
Which just confuses me why some countries are being ignored

If Japan and China have a recall then why not global !!!!!

I  know that  the authorities in China have taken tough action against various manufacturers when faults have developed.  And  these are not  just safety related faults.  They have made manufacturers extend warranties where problems  have arisen.  Both China and Japan are huge car markets.  The USA has often taken action against manufacturers. 

I wonder if this brake issue has been reported to DVSA, as it is  a safety issue.

Jinbeizame

• Approved Member
« Reply #249 on: April 29, 2024, 11:39:46 AM »
This is follow-up to my post yesterday. I have phoned to my dealer, Honda Stoneacre Chesterfield. After lengthy conversation they are now sending an AA to my home.  My Jazz was last serviced in Jan 2024. This should have automatically updated my 5-year service plan in digital form to act almost as 5-year warranty but it did not happen thus AA's first rejection to my call yesterday. "Act almost as 5-year warranty" means the difference between Warranty & Plan is still vague and not fully understood even on dealership level (so I understand). Throughout the conversation I feel Stoneacre is kind & helpful as to who pay what issue, but ultimately I have to wait for Honda UK's action. If you are interested Honda Japan's recall is published in Japanese, https://www.honda.co.jp/recall/auto/info/231208_683.html
Position of Brake Operating Simulator can be identified by clicking 改善箇所説明図。
Some old timer seem not to aware that the latest brake system heavily depends on electronics, HV in particular.   Even with any fail-safe system built-in, sudden failure of electronic parts should easily cause a panic.  Modern driver assist functions (Auto cruise, etc) are excellent when in working order, but dangerous when at fault.

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #250 on: April 29, 2024, 12:26:57 PM »
@Tinny
"As I’m banned from the original dealership"

OMG, that's a bit high handed! Hope no violence was involved?
Is this called 'Customer Care' ?

Jinbeizame

• Approved Member
« Reply #251 on: April 29, 2024, 12:53:58 PM »
I have my 22 reg. model in for its second service in a couple of weeks.

Is it worth asking, for the simulator to be given a second coat of looking at, during the underbody inspection, or are there no external (moist) clues, of an upcoming problem?

Hope that this problem is resolved, on what is a terrific little car.
As far as I learn the Simulator is weather proof, and external water/oil ingress have play no part here. Excess oil during the assembly of Simulator is to be blamed.

Cobb2

• Approved Member
« Reply #252 on: April 29, 2024, 02:00:39 PM »
  Jazz Driver -" I wonder if this brake issue has been reported to DVSA, as it is  a safety issue".

Several of us have already contacted DVSA as well as Honda, but the more owners with the problem who do should help.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 08:33:59 PM by Cobb2 »

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #253 on: April 29, 2024, 06:44:12 PM »
  Jazz Driver -" I wonder if this brake issue has been reported to DVSA, as it is  a safety issue".

Several of us have already contacted Honda, but the more owners with the problem who do should help.
Its a waste of time reporting the problem to Honda, they are already aware of the problem.  Report it directly to DVSA.

ADCO

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk.4 SR
« Reply #254 on: April 29, 2024, 06:58:04 PM »
If you are interested Honda Japan's recall is published in Japanese, https://www.honda.co.jp/recall/auto/info/231208_683.html
Position of Brake Operating Simulator can be identified by clicking 改善箇所説明図。

Many thanks for this link. For those interested a translation of the Japanese text on the image is attached. It seems that there is a software patch applied as well.

Tags:

anything