Author Topic: Mk4 2021 Jazz Brake failure  (Read 260759 times)

Daffodil

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Mk4 2021 Jazz Brake failure
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2024, 09:14:01 PM »
Hi All.

First of all thanks for all advice and comments.

I notice that since my post there have been more joining the “Brake Failure Club”.

My update is that, through the Dealership, I have been offered £444 by Honda UK as a goodwill gesture and the part will (supposedly) be here on the 19th April.

I have the phone number for Honda UK Customer Relations and will be phoning them regarding this issue. I will also request an email address so that I can confirm these issues in writing.

I saw a bit of The One Show tonight which now incorporates Watchdog. They said to contact them with problems both big and small. This could be a starting point to draw attention to this Honda failure.

My biggest concern at the moment is that my car is sitting in the Dealership carpark deteriorating. They have assured me that it will be fine, but how can it? I also asked what the guarantee/warranty would be on this new part and they didn’t seem to think that there would be one!

How many more before a Recall!

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2024, 05:45:42 AM »
Hi All.

I notice that since my post there have been more joining the “Brake Failure Club”.

My update is that, through the Dealership, I have been offered £444 by Honda UK as a goodwill gesture and the part will (supposedly) be here on the 19th April.

I have the phone number for Honda UK Customer Relations and will be phoning them regarding this issue. I will also request an email address so that I can confirm these issues in writing.

I saw a bit of The One Show tonight which now incorporates Watchdog. They said to contact them with problems both big and small. This could be a starting point to draw attention to this Honda failure.

My biggest concern at the moment is that my car is sitting in the Dealership carpark deteriorating. They have assured me that it will be fine, but how can it? I also asked what the guarantee/warranty would be on this new part and they didn’t seem to think that there would be one!

This might be a good start point to highlight the issue for a potential recall

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2024, 08:57:17 AM »
This might be a good start point to highlight the issue for a potential recall

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

Worth a try, but DVSA seem to have an interesting definition of what constitutes a "serious safety defect". It excludes a defect if "...you’re warned about them by warning lights, noticeable changes in handling and unusual noises". So DVSA may not be interested in this particular defect if the driver gets ample warning not to drive the car, as seems to be the case here. Presumably the logic is it's not a safety issue if the car isn't being driven.

The more relevant bit of that guide might be the next page ...
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/faults-with-vehicles-parts-and-accessories
... because the failure would certainly cause an MOT failure. So perhaps trying to pin Honda down about whether they've informed DVSA - which might in turn trigger a recall - might be a useful approach?

BobM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Advance eHEV
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2024, 09:01:19 AM »
Unfortunately, this issue may not be considered a "serious safety defect" for the purposes of a DVSA- backed recall. From the website, things are not classed as a serious safety defect if "you’re warned about them by warning lights, noticeable changes in handling and unusual noises". All the reports here and on the Facebook page note that the system gives plenty of warning of potential failure.

I've been following the posts, both here and on Facebook. This problem is similar to a manufacturing fault that has been identified and corrected for certain Japanese domestic market (JDM) vehicles. It appears that, over time a seal that has not been assembled properly may cause fluid to leak into the electronics housing causing errors to be detected by the vehicles diagnostics system.

The issue for UK owners (and presumably those in other countries) is whether non-JDM vehicles have been assembled using brake simulator modules from the same batches. Due to differences between JDM VIN codes and those for other markets, UK owners only have  the date of manufacture as a potential indicator. Only Honda in Japan will be able to correlate vehicles with parts batches.

Dealers should inform Honda UK/Europe of a pattern of failures that can, in turn be reported to Honda Japan. If dealers are only ordering spares, and Honda UK do not spot an unusual pattern of requests (it's still low numbers) a potential issue may not be identified. If all those affected by this problem write to Honda UK, using key words and phrases to trigger automated systems (like those used to process peoples' job applications), they may respond.

As a final comment, it would be prudent for anyone getting a replacement to insist on retaining the faulty item, should, at a later date a systematic issue be identified.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.41
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2024, 09:28:27 AM »
At least highlighting to DVSA the problem and extent(see CRV forum) and getting a response even if negative gets the problem into some kind of official footing and copied to Honda may just extract the finger a bit!!

Cobb2

• Approved Member
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2024, 10:19:59 AM »
I also noticed that DVSA may not consider recalls relevant if warning lights come up but a MOT failure could be. It should still be worth reporting it and, of course, to various Consumer Associations.
I haven’t yet had concrete evidence of someone experiencing the fault whilst driving just hearsay from a dealer as I mentioned earlier. I will try and follow this up if I can.
Yesterday I registered on a Honda E forum where there are many similar issues and the repair bill being quoted is much higher than the Jazz. I reported our Jazz problems on their forum.
If you are interested there are two links here, the latter one having more detail.

https://www.hondaeforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1390

https://www.hondaeforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1542

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2024, 01:34:06 PM »
I was at my local dealer this morning booking a service and MOT and said about the brake failure and was informed they they had had 5 so far. They were not happy about Hond's response.

Chis52

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz eHev EX 2020 Pearl White
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2024, 02:01:43 PM »
Hi All.

I am having a problem even getting my car into a dealer for diagnosis and repair. I contacted my nearest dealer, Marshall Honda Reading, 2 weeks ago and the earliest that they could examine the car was yesterday. Despite my informing them at the time of booking that the car was not driveable they turned up to collect the car without any means of transporting it to the garage which is 12 miles away. I was told to contact a breakdown company to organise transportation. Unfortunately the Hondacare breakdown cover expired at same time as the warranty 6 months ago, something I had overlooked. I have since been totally unable to contact Marshall Honda by phone to rearrange a diagnosis and repair. I have now booked it in with the next nearest dealer, Maidenhead Honda they also are unable to collect so I have booked a local breakdown transporter, at a cost of £160 just to get it to the Maidenhead dealer which is 20 miles away. The earliest they can examine the car is next Tuesday. Although I am pretty sure what the diagnosis will be I feel I cannot start making too much noise about this with Honda until I have an official diagnosis of the fault, hence more delay.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 02:06:50 PM by Chis52 »

Cobb2

• Approved Member
« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2024, 03:23:05 PM »
Thats not good news Chris52, and poor service from the Honda dealer. Do you belong to another breakdown organisation? They may be prepared to carry it to a garage? I am not necessarily advising you to do what I did, but I was able to drive mine a few miles to my local garage after turning the car off and on again - this time with no warning lights and the brakes working.

Chis52

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz eHev EX 2020 Pearl White
« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2024, 04:03:40 PM »
Unfortunately I was not a member of another breakdown service when the fault occurred. I have now added it as an optional extra to my car insurance but this is too late to deal with the current problem. Although the car is driveable (just), I don't fancy driving it the 20+ miles to the dealer, especially as over 50 per cent is motorway.

BobM

• Approved Member
« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2024, 05:58:00 PM »
May be a different issue but see

https://thebrakereport.com/honda-to-recall-chinese-hybrids-for-faulty-brake-pedal-sensor/

Google also found a brake simulator recall on Honda Malaysia but I can't access the text

Cobb2

• Approved Member
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2024, 07:39:46 PM »
May be a different issue but see

https://thebrakereport.com/honda-to-recall-chinese-hybrids-for-faulty-brake-pedal-sensor/

Google also found a brake simulator recall on Honda Malaysia but I can't access the text

Sounds like same one - maybe the one we have had translated from Japanese

BobM

• Approved Member
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2024, 10:21:06 PM »
The China report is dated December 2022, the Japan one is December 2023. The similarity may reinforce the suggestion of a systematic problem - assuming the same component manufacturer.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2024, 07:21:40 AM »
The China report is dated December 2022, the Japan one is December 2023. The similarity may reinforce the suggestion of a systematic problem - assuming the same component manufacturer.

Also sounds like they have identified the manufactured batch, and taken steps to rectify the issue post the 2020 date.

Tags: