Author Topic: Mk3 Sport - Strange buzzing noise from rear wheel area?  (Read 940 times)

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Mk3 Sport - Strange buzzing noise from rear wheel area?
« on: October 14, 2023, 10:32:35 PM »
Our 2018 MK3 Sport (Manual) has recently started to make a strange buzzing / chafing sort of sound and it seems to be coming from the rear of the car, possibly the driver's side rear wheel area.

It only happens when the car is moving, just cruising along in gear on city roads. But sometimes the sound changes with braking. So it would get slightly louder as I first apply the brakes, and then as I release the brakes the sound stops. But mostly it just comes and goes on its own without me touching the brake or clutch pedals.

I've tried to attach a sound recording of the noise when I drove the car the other day. But when I drove the car tonight, the sound was more like a "ch-ch-ch.." sound.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Mk3 Sport - Strange buzzing noise from rear wheel area?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 11:06:12 PM »
From the description, slightly corroded rear dics. The answer is use and firm braking.

Handbrake use leaves small rust deposits on the rear discs that should be worn off in normal use. If you're a low mileage user or don't brake much, you may not be clearing off the rust residue. That is of course if the pads are not worn below say 3mm or less. In which case, replacement should cure the problem.

FWIW, every time I take my car out, I make sure from a speed of >40mph, it gets a proper firm brake to keep the brakes in order and working well.

If you park your car off road and on the level, then leave the handbrake off and just put the car in gear to help avoid possible issue.

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 02:06:27 AM »
Thanks. I did initially think it may be just corrosion (as you say) or dirt that's got between the pads and the disc but it's been like that for quite a few miles now, mostly city driving so if it was that, it probably would have cleared by now, I guess?

The thing I can't work out is whether it's a mechanical noise or some sort of electrical device noise. All I know is it's coming from the rear of the car when I'm driving. I might just take the caliper off and see if I can see anything that's amiss.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 07:45:06 AM »
Don’t our cars have an audible brake wear indicator? This is usually a piece of metal designed to contact the disc and make a noise when the pads have worn down, as a warning that pads need to be changed. Never heard it myself so can’t be sure that’s what you’re hearing.

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 10:40:51 AM »
had similar on our 2018 Sport. As ColinB mentioned it was the metal wear tag rubbing the disc.
New pads cured the problem.

Best check for wear on all pads , on ours , although serviced and MOT'd at Honda , they obviously  never inspected the brakes.

Pads / discs are not included in the Honda service contracts.

FarNorthJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 11:15:03 AM »
"Best check for wear on all pads , on ours , although serviced and MOT'd at Honda , they obviously  never inspected the brakes.

Pads / discs are not included in the Honda service contracts."

I think brake pads are included in the service contracts.   My Jazz is just back from a 5 year service,  and the service checklist left in the car has front and rear brake pads shown as inspected and the % wear of the pads noted

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Mk3 Sport - Strange buzzing noise from rear wheel area?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 05:41:33 PM »
"Best check for wear on all pads , on ours , although serviced and MOT'd at Honda , they obviously  never inspected the brakes.

Pads / discs are not included in the Honda service contracts."

I think brake pads are included in the service contracts.   My Jazz is just back from a 5 year service,  and the service checklist left in the car has front and rear brake pads shown as inspected and the % wear of the pads noted
I think what was meant is the pads & discs are not replaced on a service plan but inspection is included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: