Author Topic: Comfort  (Read 15020 times)

guest5383

Comfort
« on: May 13, 2015, 07:39:57 PM »
I realise that this is subjective and a matter for individuals.  However, I would appreciate some views.
It is important for us that we have a comfortable and smooth ride.  The Jazz has been ticking all boxes but I've just read a review which could not have been more critical of ride comfort - e.g after 40 minutes got out with pain in back.
We don't usually drive in excess of 150 miles.
Are there likely to be any comfort issues ( have a back problem ) ?

Thanks for any comments.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Re: Comfort
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:04:10 PM »
A friend of mine grumbles about doing 100+ miles in a Jazz. Seats aren't comfortable (to him), but then again I think he was spoiled with the magic carpet ride and seats in a Citroen BX.

I'd suck it and see. If the seat isn't to your preference, you could always find one that is.

guest907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »
I may have driven 200-250 miles in one stretch (with toilet stops!) but have never got out and gone "oh my back's killing me".

melanogaster81

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:41:40 PM »
Same here.... 120 + miles ( one way) without any problem.... Maybe what is not confy sometime is the road noise.... But it is all down to the uk tarmac... :(

guest5383

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 10:59:44 PM »
Thanks for these prompt and helpful replies, much appreciated.
Currently driving volvo c30 ( lovely seats but other aspects not suitable)
Eddie, if the seat could be improved upon is it possible to upgrade it ?  If so, what would approx costs be ?

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 01:52:12 AM »
Not driven a Volvo C30, but I love the big seats in the 200/300 series and the ones in the old 200 had lumbar adjustment. I done some long journeys in the Jazz and I need to stop and stretch every so often. It's not my back though more my legs.

Anyway, one issue that can arise is detailed here: http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=3012.0 and here: http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5014.0

Otherwise there is the option of using seats from another Honda model: http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5786.0

Or finally getting an car seat upholster to rebuild the seat to fit you better.

So a few pence to a few hundred. It really depends. You could be lucky and be the perfect shape for them costing you nothing!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:44:33 AM »
I suffer from occasional lower back pain..

No issues on a 150 mile drive on Jazz..

I do spend a lot of time adjusting the seat to suit me.. Height to top and distance from pedals being key.

Rake is easy to adjust but height and distance make a huge impact..

Mine is auto so less spine twisting...

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:31:27 AM »
I'm a big lad so I drop the seat down, recline it back a bit and I am ready for the 60 odd mile trip back home after spending 8 hours in the car already.
To be honest its not the most comfortable seat, but its not bad, and its far better than sitting on the grass verge awaiting the recovery truck when I had Corsas.

guest5383

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »
This forum is amazingly helpful.  All posts have been valuable.  In addition, unlike some other forums, not one has been a snide think I'm clever and better than you post.
Many thanks.  It worth buying a Honda to benefit from the forum !

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 09:38:46 AM »
Why not try negotiating an extended test drive.
I suffer from back problems which are made worse by some car seats, so when I bought my Jazz I asked for long solo test drives- at least half a day. If they want to sell you a car and your a genuine buyer its in their interest to help as much as they can. The 10-30 minutes drive with a salesman in the car isn't enough to see if it's comfortable for you.
Anyway, bought the Jazz, slightly modified the seat as in some of the links posted by Eddie, and don't have a backache when I get out of the car after about 120 miles, so it's OK for me.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 11:00:34 AM »
This is such a personal thing... How tall are you, how are your body proportions, long/short legs, arms... etc. etc.
For example: I am 6 ft., my weight is about 170 lbs. Last year we drove in 2 days about 950 miles. Of course with (short) stops every 2/3 hours. And since you have to go back home after holidays this happened twice
The driver seat of the Jazz (ours is a CVT) is the first one that does not cause any problem for me at such distances.

Does it mean that the Jazz has the perfect seats? Of course not. For me: yes! For you it can be this or that. Perfect or disastrous (and everything in between).

You want to be sure? Rent a Jazz for one day (or maybe one weekend) and try!
If nothing goes right, go left!

guest5383

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 11:24:22 AM »
Thank you both for your helpful replies.
Jazzik I did put in my OP that I realised it is individual.  Your post has given me what I was looking for.  That is, what other people have experienced.
Quite honestly I don't think you can ever be sure but the more you can benefit from the thoughts of others ( remembering that it is a personal decision ) the more likely you are to make a good decision.
This all confirms my high opinion of the forum.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 02:12:52 PM »
We are all different and providing the perfect seat for everyone must be impossible. I suffer with back problems but only have a problem in my Jazz if I forget to alter the seatback after my other half has been driving. Recline it slightly and it makes all the difference for me. I have done many longish trips and not had any problems, so I am happy that the seat is perfect for me.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 04:42:48 PM »
It took me a long time to find a comfortable position. My preference is to sit fairly upright but in this position the headrest pushes your head forward so I have had to recline the backrest more than I would like but I have got used to it now. With the CVT sometimes you feel a slight jerk just as you come to a halt which is annoying.

guest5383

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 08:24:53 AM »
Thank you for the help.  Wish I had been a forum user before I bought previous cars !

Tags: