Author Topic: Battery discharging  (Read 14174 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Battery discharging
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »
Just an update.
During winter. With heating. Lights.and rear screen. Been no issues.
Along comes the warm weather. Started using air conditioners. And guess what. Flat battery twice   
this month. Although done plenty of mileage.
It's going into Honda dealership for airbag.will chat nicely. A see what happens

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Sounds like the air conditioning clutch relay contacts sticking, this means power still on clutch coil when ignition off and the clutch coil draws 3 amps. 

There was a service bulletin issued for civic to replace the original Omron relay with a mitsuba because Omron not sealed properly and would allow moisture in and cause corrosion.   Google Omron Honda aircon clutch relay or faulty Honda aircon clutch relay flattening my battery and you will get lots of hits.

The main pins on the relay contacts go 1 straight to battery via 10 amp fuse and 1 to clutch coil.  The power to the coil of the relay is supplied through various switches and the coil circuit can only get power when ignition is on, if the contacts physically stick together due to problem with relay the relay coil circuit is bypassed and power will pass through relay contacts even with ignition key out. This sometimes happens with heated rear window relay as well, and can happen with headlight relays, but then it is more obvious when headlights stay on.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 06:01:50 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Battery discharging
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2020, 02:03:11 PM »
with the lockdown I am using the car less,

and guess what happened ,

completely flat battery after just 4 days of not being used

I must appologise for hijacking another thread
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12019.0