Author Topic: Car cigarette lighter/power outlet  (Read 9581 times)

guest7027

Car cigarette lighter/power outlet
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
I usually use my cigarette lighter power outlet to charge my iPhone - use a USB adapter/converter that plugs in and gives me 2 USB outlets.

Yesterday it stopped working so I tested different USB cables to no avail, tried re-inserting adapter to no avail so I left it for the night.

This morning I re-insterted the same USB adapter and it started to work again...

I'm thinking the cigarette socket maybe faulty or something? the only reason I say this is because if I try to use the ciagrette lighter itself ( I don't smoke just tried it for testing purposes) it doesn't click in like the manual says it should. Manual says you should push lighter in and it will pop out automatically when it reaches temp. I can't get it to click-in at all. If I hold it in by hand it will heat up just won't click in.

Apologies for bombarding the forums just recently, I just seem to be getting niggle after niggle with this car. It's the most frustrating car I've ever owned  :(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Car cigarette lighter/power outlet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:36:16 AM »
The fact it doesn't click in has nothing to do with the socket. That is the insert (lighter) itself that is faulty. The socket is probably dirty and just needs a good clean out and rub up (especially if it has been used as a cigarette lighter). I had to clean mine up. I wrapped some fine wet & dry round a pencil and used it to polish up the inside of the socket. I then sprayed into the socket with Servisol electrical cleaner. It has worked fine since.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
Thanks Jocko - I will quickly test in my other Jazz tonight and hopefully eliminate the problem. Will feedback with my findings.

I was just wondering if the lighter should defintiely click in or if the manual was incorrect and you just had to hold it in by hand.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »
I was under the impression it was an auxiliary power socket rather than a cigarette lighter socket. That's why it has a flap covering it when empty. I'm also aware they are a slightly non-standard shape so getting things to fit properly can sometimes be problematic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
My GD has a cigarette lighter socket, with no flap on it, but I have a 2006 GD5.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
Yes and Chris's Jazz is a 2010 GE with a flap :)

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »
Mine doesn't have a flap...

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »
OK mine does :) Honda Fit manual calls it an accessory power socket rather than a cigarette lighter socket.
I can remember problems fitting things into it on this forum and filing of the plastic was required but I can't remember the exact reason for that.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 12:21:01 PM »
I think they have a flap on the facelift late 2010 and 2011 onwards

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 12:26:49 PM »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 01:42:24 PM »
Yes, the manual for the earlier models calls it a cigarette lighter socket, and says, specifically, not to hold it in while it is operating or it can overheat.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
thats the same or similiar to my manual Jocko.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 07:57:11 AM »
Tried on my other Jazz, same problem in both cars with 2 lighters.

Neither of them click in?

The USB charger works again though so no biggy as we don't use the lighters anyway, just weird both don't work.

In the other Jazz the lighter did initially look at though it was going to click in but the socket seemed loose/not flush on the plastic trim so when I pulled the lighter out I pushed the trim back flush and then no joy of clicking it in at all.

I do wonder if the socket is not meant to sit flush maybe?

I think it's unlikely both lighters are faulty...

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 12:00:50 PM »
After looking at the socket and trim in more detail with a torch I can see that the socket has 2 clips meaning that it is meant to be fully clipped in and flush against the trim.

Not sure why the lighters aren't working in either car then even though the socket itself seems to work when charging connected devices to it e.g. sat nav or USB adapter etc.

Tags: