Author Topic: 2003 honda fit control arm  (Read 959 times)

elliotcarter

• My Honda: 2003 honda fit
2003 honda fit control arm
« on: August 05, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »
curious to know if this model has upper and lower control arms... a mechanic informed me the previous owners spoiled the arm and that is causing the bushing on the passanger side to repeatedly tear..

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: 2003 honda fit control arm
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 06:11:26 PM »
It's a conventional MacPherson strut with a lower control arm, or wishbone as it's commonly called.

No upper control arm or wishbone.

TG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE Sport Manual (owned since 2002)
Re: 2003 honda jazz (fit) control arm
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 11:27:31 PM »
It's the rearmost bush that deteriorates but it's only a 10 part.  Not always successful as it may work loose so replacing the whole arm (30) may be a better bet as it is quite a simple job - if you can undo the bolts and the nut on the knuckle.  The original arms have a castle nut that is easy to round over even with a decent socket as there is not much metal to bear on so cutting may be required, the replacement has a larger nyloc nut.
--
TG

[Images attached for logged in users]

CRC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 1.4 SE Manual
Re: 2003 honda fit control arm
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 12:42:15 PM »
Those pictures are really useful to me as I tried to change the lower suspension arm last week and failed dismally as I ran into the totally seized 17 mm nut on top of the ball joint and just gave up and left the old arm in place.

I've now got a couple of new 32 mm drive shaft locking nuts and am planning to attack it again in the same way that you did by pulling the drive shaft out of the hub and disconnecting the arm from the car so that I can put the drive shaft on top of the hub and get to the offending nut either with a disc cutter or some serious heat - which you just can't do with the drive shaft in place.

Just one question - I know that the drive shaft nut is done up to a serious torque ( 134 ft lbs I believe) but once undone, are there any issues with the splines seizing in the hub requiring a puller of sorts to pull the hub off the splines?

Thanks

Tags:

anything