Author Topic: Rear axle bushes  (Read 5050 times)

Jeffyjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
Rear axle bushes
« on: July 29, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »
Anyone changed the rear axle bushes is it hard to do

Can you leave the axle in and just drop it down or have you got to take the whole thing out

guest1372

Re: Rear axle bushes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »
Never heard of it being done, although it looks more simple than it probably is.  The shock lower bolts are probably rusted solid, the brake line / abs clips / handbrake cable guides will could snap or refuse to move.  Once out then pressing the bushes out and in might be possible using the Ed China method of a suitable sized socket plus some threaded bar, as the beam itself is certainly not going to fit under a press.

Why do you thing they need changing?
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
Never heard of it being done, although it looks more simple than it probably is.  The shock lower bolts are probably rusted solid, the brake line / abs clips / handbrake cable guides will could snap or refuse to move.  Once out then pressing the bushes out and in might be possible using the Ed China method of a suitable sized socket plus some threaded bar, as the beam itself is certainly not going to fit under a press.

Why do you thing they need changing?
--
TG

AS TG rightly points out - many jobs on a car can turn out to involve more than just the bits you want to change,  rusted up bits that you have to use a nut splitter on and destroy, brake pipes with corroded unions (I keep all bits like that regularly coated with motorbike chainlube spray,  it is like I imagine Dinosaur snot would be like, once its on something it doesn't want to come off) - it is rubber friendly (motorbike chains have 'O' rings in them) so you can spray it on rubber bushes,  brake unions and pipes, including hoses,  electrical plugs under the car (ABS sensors plugs etc) - on the outside only though,  not sure it will help if it gets inside a plug. 

I have never seen anyone on this forum mention replacing the rear axle bushes.  Rear wheel bearings yes,  axle bushes no.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
I had a look in my Haynes manual and there is no mention of the bushes at all.

Jeffyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 07:33:53 AM »
They are definitely wobbly as I went under the car to see while it was on the ramp.  The guy shook the car and you could feel a slight knock

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »
I assume you are referring to the bushes that the bolts pass through, in this image.

Jeffyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »
Yup they are the ones where it pivots on the chassis

It's a kind off side ways movement

If you grab the body and push it sideways you can feel movement in those bushes quite a lot actually I can do it on the driveway

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »
I saw the bushes advertised on eBay but I have never read anything about changing them. Maybe quite a hard wearing item.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-HONDA-JAZZ-1-2-1-4-REAR-TRAILING-ARM-SUSPENSION-BUSH-x1-/171340339800

guest5079

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »
Recently looking on the Honda Parts UK site ( it gives actual Honda Part nos) I noticed that there is no reference to the bushes in the rear axle. I have checked both MK1 and MK2 and are both similar,  the bushes are not listed.
Have you checked the Damper(Damper R Axle Dynamic part number 42115-SEL-015 for Mk1) (£80) in the middle of the rear axle beam which I assume is there to reduce side ways movement.
I have also Googled ' replacing bushes in the Jazz/Fit rear beam axle' and there is a post on Fitfreak with pictures how to do the job. It seems it is unnecessary to remove the axle.
The heading was' Bushing Fill-Unofficial Honda Fit Forum.'
Hope it is helpful.

guest5079

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 02:23:43 PM »
SORRY that will teach me not to go off half cock. The bushes were not being replaced but modified which might be of help to you.
It does however show how to take the axle from the frame the only difference being you would have to make a tool to remove/replace  the bushes, if you want to replace them.
Sorry about that,    one can be too helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeffyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 04:04:03 PM »
Hopefully I can just take the main bolts out and drop the front of the axle down enough to get the pullers in there

Bushes are available but I might buy polyurethane ones in as the come in two parts and makes putting them back in way easier

Jeffyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 04:10:52 PM »
This is the bush http://r.ebay.com/sCkw5E

I makes sense that they have to be changed eventually.  The front ones go so the rears have got to go eventually

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 06:12:25 PM »
Be aware, you have to replace the bolts at the same time. They are "one shot".

Tags:

anything