Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 42520 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Headlights
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2019, 02:32:02 PM »
Just checked what number my wifes Jazz bulbs set to for UK use ( there is a moulded in line at top of part of bulb that is fixed to the normal 3 tabs H4 bulb mounting and a numbered scale around the inner part of bulb that can rotate when you undo the locking grub screw ) this is visible if you look through head light cover, they are set to number 8 to give the beam a LH tilt towards near side verge.  I was very impressed with the quality of the bulbs when I got ours - look like something NASA would build...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 02:33:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2019, 04:58:57 PM »
I haven't checked the beam setting number on mine, but as I understand it, the RH cut off portion of the dipped beam should be horizontal, which gives a tilt up on the LH side of roughly 20' or so.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2019, 05:16:11 PM »
I haven't checked the beam setting number on mine, but as I understand it, the RH cut off portion of the dipped beam should be horizontal, which gives a tilt up on the LH side of roughly 20' or so.

The paperwork that came with bulb suggested position 8 for UK vehicle and they came already locked in that position, which  assume all the ones sold in countries that drive on the left would be.. if you did not change the position of yours it will undoubtedly have been set to 8 by manufacturer.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2019, 05:34:27 PM »
Fully accept what you say re the setting number, but , I do recall that the setting moved whilst screwing on the heat sink because the grub screw had not been properly tightened and I adjusted it to give the horizontal portion as just described, is this assumption correct?
I will when I get chance take the bulbs out and check the setting number.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »
Hi

Ours were preset to number 8.

I just made sure they were tight on the lock nut

Also, you do not need to remove the led to check. On our jazz the headlight is clear and big enough to see what the position of the led setting

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2019, 06:20:38 PM »

Also, you do not need to remove the led to check. On our jazz the headlight is clear and big enough to see what the position of the led setting

What John says is 100% you can see the setting through headlight clear acrylic cover - all i did was shine a torch at the base of the bulb ( bright sun was reflecting off headlight ) and could clearly see the number 8 lined up on both bulbs, the number will be at top of base in 12 o'clock position..

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2019, 09:19:19 PM »
Now I am confused, mine are set to 7 and if I adjust them clockwise to 8, (looking from the front of the car) then the RH cutoff portion of the dipped beam will no longer be horizontal and will shining up into oncoming drivers eyes?

So, I ask again, should the RH cutoff line be horizontal?

Certainly I am aware of the  LH side of the lights, illuminating the kerb and road  signs a lot more than the old bulbs did and obviously setting at 7 will do that.

So, tomorrow I will, in the absence of other advice, reset them to 8 and see how we go.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2019, 09:31:10 PM »
I will when I get chance take the bulbs out and check the setting number.
Is the other side set to 8? I'd set the one that moved to match the one that didn't.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »
As you say having bulb set at 7 will put more light on verge as the kick up is slightly more pronounced than when set on 8.  The thing is the vertical cut off of the beam is so crisp with little stray light that either will be OK. I noticed that the beam cut off is sharper than filament bulb..

Even at the recommended position 8 the first thing I noticed was the extra light on the verge.... if you are happy and car passed MOT I would not bother moving bulb.

Don't forget reflectors are already shaped for LH or RH drive cars to put light to the left or right as required so even with a standard filament bulb the mounting on rear of reflector and position of mounting tabs orientates the filament and low beam baffle to suit..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:10:48 PM by culzean »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2019, 10:08:55 PM »
Thanks for your reply Culzean, the car is booked in for it's 3rd service and 1st MOT on 20th August, so I guess it's a wait and see game. The MOT will obviously be done by the Honda Franchise Dealer, rather than a MOT station.

I guess I'm a bit wary about raising the RH beam by moving to 8 as I normally run with the incar headlight adjustment a couple of notches down anyway to avoid flashing.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2019, 10:14:09 PM »
Thanks for your reply Culzean, the car is booked in for it's 3rd service and 1st MOT on 20th August, so I guess it's a wait and see game. The MOT will obviously be done by the Honda Franchise Dealer, rather than a MOT station.

I guess I'm a bit wary about raising the RH beam by moving to 8 as I normally run with the incar headlight adjustment a couple of notches down anyway to avoid flashing.

The tester may put the beam height control on zero anyway for the test as this is its highest position..  The beam test looks for a kick up towards verge anyway..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:15:41 PM by culzean »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2019, 10:26:19 PM »
To my mind, from the point of view of less nuisance to oncoming motorists, 7 is better than 8.
The last thing I want is to imitate the German staff cars!!
I should also confirm that both lights are currently set to 7

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2019, 12:28:51 PM »
Had second thoughts and in deference to Culzean and the other experts on this forum, i have this morning adjusted both headlights to position 8, (all of a 10 minute job, I guess the Mk3 is a bit easier than previous models).  I just need to see what the MOT inspector makes of them later this month.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2019, 03:46:07 PM »
Had second thoughts and in deference to Culzean and the other experts on this forum, i have this morning adjusted both headlights to position 8, (all of a 10 minute job, I guess the Mk3 is a bit easier than previous models).  I just need to see what the MOT inspector makes of them later this month.

Would be interested to see if you notice any difference in where the light goes now.....have to say  am more than happy with the extra light on the near side verge - much better than a filament bulb.. but looking at the LED arrangement with 4 chips each side I am not surprised that beam  seems to be flatter, with more light across the road and better vertical cut off ( no stray light into dazzle zone ).

In Shropshire the council put a solid white line along each verge ( maybe because it being very rural ) and I miss it when travelling to other places, that white line is much more useful than the line in centre of road when vehicles approaching at night.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 03:50:23 PM by culzean »

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
Right chaps,
Got a set of the  LED H4 bulbs and have installed them in my wife's Suzuki SX4 about an hour ago, and I put the dust cap back on and then threaded the heat sink back into place without issue.

Impressed with the quality, they look well made.

Not too hard to do even for a caveman like me - for once I took my time and no knuckles were grazed nor blood shed.

I have one question to ask to those who have fitted them - how and where are you fixing the junction box to keep it secure?

I haven't been out in the dark yet but plan to take a little spin tonight and will report back afterwards.

Thanks all.

Steve

Tags: