Author Topic: sump nut and washer  (Read 12990 times)

guest806

sump nut and washer
« on: July 04, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »
Any one know the size of these.  Went to change the oil but the sump nut is stuck solid and I want to make sure I have a replacement as I'm not sure what condition it will be in when I get it off.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: sump nut and washer
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »
Off the top of my head I think the size was 17mm and torque of 39Nm.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 08:08:54 AM »
Cheers, it is 17mm but its stuck fast.  I'm not sure how I'm gonna get it off, I'll have to try a socket with a T-bar and try hitting it a bit.

Any one purchased one, if so from where and how much was it?
 ???

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 08:20:44 AM »
Jazz e be careful with the "hitting it :o" bit you can easily bend the sump itself.
The gradual pressure with the torque wrench or bar is the better option...... ;)

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »
Will do thanks.  Do you know if it has a reverse thread?  Am I'm correct it trying to undo it by turning towards the drivers door?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:43:38 AM »
Firstly, do not try to remove the sump plug when the engine is cold, I'll bet it was screwed in with the engine warm, and the aluminium sump will contract more than the steel plug and grip it..

The sump plug is a normal RH thread, unscrew it anti-clockwise while facing the head.

As a worst case scenario the plug may be cross-threaded and this will have damaged the aluminium sump as this is much softer than the steel plug,  It is a fine thread (probably UNF) and it is easy to do.

If in doubt take it to a garage for the oil change and let them sort it out.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 10:09:36 AM »
Don't be too gung-ho with bashing or hitting the spanner and putting a bar on it for extra leverage as you may find youself with a cracked sump, or even the sump plug in your hand surrounded by a lump of aluminium and black oil all over yourself and the garage floor.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »
I have a breaker bar which is about 18" long with the 17mm socket on the end which works just fine. You can get them from any good motoring stores.

The sump nut has a right hand thread so you will be pushing towards the passenger side door NOT the drivers door to undo it.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »
thanks for the replies.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:55:51 PM »
Right guy's, I'm confused.  I went through the motion in my head and thought anticlockwise to undo i.e. towards the drivers door, clockwise to do up, i.e. towards the passenger door.  I got a replacement one from the local Honda dealer £4.07 including the washer and again went through the motion. This to would confirm it would be towards the drivers door to undo. Am i being a complete numpty? ???
Any quick replies appreciated as i would like to do this, this weekend.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
Well I think the best way to do this is to lie underneath the sump nut and to undo it you turn the spanner or whatever anticlockwise towards the passenger door.

To tighten the nut the opposite applies i.e. turn the spanner clockwise towards the drivers door.

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 10:50:31 PM »
The direction of push is totally dependent upon the orientation of the pusher!
As you have an opinion in both directions I suggest that you state YOUR orientation e.g. feet out the drivers side, feet out the passenger side, or feet out the front!
Alternatively, do what most garages do these days, and suck the oil out through the filler tube. Vacuum pumps are available from Halfords!

guest809

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 11:07:58 PM »
I can't believe this is becoming so complicated!!

It's nothing to do with the position of your feet or doors of any variety as eventually it would approach both doors if you keep turning!!!!!

If you lie on your back looking up to the sump it is anti clockwise to undo, surely?

Simples........

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 08:04:46 AM »
For everyones peace of mind I suggest you take the car to a local garage for the oil change before you do terminal and expensive damage to the aluminium sump,  believe me it will not just 'bend' it will crack and deposit oil both on your person and on your driveway and cost you half of this years salary to get it fixed.

If you are still resolved to do it yourself, go to local B&Q or hardware and buy a nut and bolt, then holding the nut firmly in your left hand and the bolt in your right hand lie on your back with the bolt above you and looking at the hexagon head, practice slackening and tightening the bolt.  Make sure there are no passenger or drivers doors in sight while doing this.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 09:08:30 AM »
Sorry i didn't mean for this to get emotive.  Its just that as previously stated i tried turning to the drivers door and it seems stuck fast.  Bearing in mind all the helpful comments about not tightening it too much because of causing damage, thats why i thought i would check.
Just to clarify the nut is at the bottom of the sump and is placed at the rear.  The head, (the hexagonal bit you turn) faces towards the rear of the car.  That is why i assumed anticlockwise would be to the right i.e the drivers door.

Tags:

anything