Author Topic: engine oil  (Read 12879 times)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: engine oil
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »
Use a quality oil of the correct spec and always change the oil filter every year of 7.5k miles.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 09:32:28 PM »
A point I noticed currently, is that if you use Harfords fully synthetic 5w 40 oil is change it twice a year, I usually do it around now for after winter then at the end of summer ready for winter.
I changed mine last week, and defiantly got quieter tappets on cold starts now.

I'm also planning on buying some molyslip to see how that goes.

I only get Harfords oil when it goes on offer for about £10. As mentioned, if it's cheaper just change it more often, I'm the type who prefers to change oil regularly, and flush all the crappy carbon bits and God knows what, out with the old oil.
As culzean says oil is there to catch piston ring blow by too. You defiantly don't want your piston rings to go solid with carbon deposits.

guest5669

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 08:06:41 AM »
A point I noticed currently, is that if you use Harfords fully synthetic 5w 40 oil is change it twice a year, I usually do it around now for after winter then at the end of summer ready for winter.
I changed mine last week, and defiantly got quieter tappets on cold starts now.

I'm also planning on buying some molyslip to see how that goes.

I only get Harfords oil when it goes on offer for about £10. As mentioned, if it's cheaper just change it more often, I'm the type who prefers to change oil regularly, and flush all the crappy carbon bits and God knows what, out with the old oil.
As culzean says oil is there to catch piston ring blow by too. You defiantly don't want your piston rings to go solid with carbon deposits.

Do you need to change the filter every time theres an oil change? I changed the my oil and filter in December 05w-30w. I'd like to change the oil again next month, was going to leave the filter what do people think?

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 10:18:06 AM »
If you feel there is a need to change the oil, then you should also change the filter.

guest5669

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 05:26:19 PM »
If you feel there is a need to change the oil, then you should also change the filter.

Why though explain please? The oil has started sooting up a bit, but i'm hearing it's not as necessary for the filter.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 05:43:50 PM »

Why though explain please? The oil has started sooting up a bit, but i'm hearing it's not as necessary for the filter.

When I was doing lots of miles a year (around 25 to 30K) I changed my oil twice a year but only changed the filter once - made at least one of the changes a lot quicker and saved a bit of money for a better oil. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5669

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 06:40:19 PM »

When I was doing lots of miles a year (around 25 to 30K) I changed my oil twice a year but only changed the filter once - made at least one of the changes a lot quicker and saved a bit of money for a better oil.

My thoughts exactly Colin , I do a lot of London milage stop start, think its good to change every 6 months filter once a year mate.

jasonevans

• Approved Member
  • 1 Jazz and 1 Civic Type R - Life is good :-)
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE Auto in Orange :-)
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 12:02:01 PM »
For the price of an oil filter it's a no-brainer IMO. Change it everytime.
I do my oil changes every 6k or 6 months ( whichever is sooner ) as I do a lot of London miles that are low speed so would rather change oil more freq .

I'm using Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 Fully Synth Engine Oil as it's cheap enough on the opieoils site.( £25 for 6 litres ).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:04:49 PM by jasonevans »

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 10:31:30 PM »
I tend to change filter once a year.
I don't like to get any ultra cheapo one for in case bypass valve was ever needed.

I know an old trick is to get some cheapo Neodymium magnets , and pop a few up in your sump once oil has drained, that way you know any swarf from engine really does collect. I know some of those dodgy magnets manufacturers put in there are pants.

It's all about learning your engine, if it's a bit tappetty sounding then you know oil is breaking down. It has a certain stickiness to it. If you do lots of cold starts your going to need to change filter more often for piece of mind.

As to Steve's original question, if you have a branded filter on, it's up to you, at a guess they are about £5. If I were you I'd leave oil and filter change until June. Depends how tight you are, I'm yorkshire bred so like to get my use out of stuff.

In the end so long as it isn't clogged up with 5years old crappy old stuff your ok, I'm sure many folks who know their beans on here have seen oil coming out like tar on old second hand cars etc.

A bit off topic my stepdaughters Nissan notes oil filter had rusted through before I changed it for her  :o engine is still sweet as a nut  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 11:15:27 AM »
here are a couple of 'rules of thumb'  (some of them do involve your thumb) on oil  - no real scientific basis,  just experience - pull out the dipstick and wipe thumb and first finger along it to get some oil.

colour is a reasonable guide but not foolproof, new oil is normally honey-coloured and gets darker with use as it absorbs an neutralizes combustion products,  but a cheap oil may stay 'clean' longer than an expensive one as the crap isn't gathered up and broken down by the oil but sinks to bottom of sump or gets stuck in filter.

put thumb up to your nose, does oil smell 'burnt' it shouldn't

slide thumb and finger together - does oil feel slick or sticky,  if sticky not a good sign

push thumb and first finger together and pull apart slowly - does oil form a neck about 3 to 4mm long ?  if it is still good it should, if it breaks straight away probably on the way out.

now here is the health and safety bit,  according to 'risk-averse cotton-wool wrappers' you should really wear elbow length gloves and full face-mask / breathing apparatus when messing with oil,  but gloves kind of spoil the whole 'feel' thing. 

Just make sure you wash area properly  to get oil off your mitts before grabbing a sandwich LOL.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »
I always use Castrol Magnatec (5w50) which costs the equivalent of £12 for 5 litres.  The saving in cost for lesser quality oil is negligible over the running period.  I change the oil and filter every 10000km
If music be the food of love, play on

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »
I do find it odd when someone says a certain oil is great, how do they know?!! just buy a well known respected brand, regardless of price.

I've worked for Castrol and Royal Purple / Bel Ray. I can def say they have some good oil..
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

Tags: