Author Topic: Best winter modification for £10 what other mods will you add ?  (Read 41713 times)

guest5685

Re: This has to be the best winter modification for £10 ?
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »
Unplug the cable, pull off the rubber boot, un clip the clippy thing that holds the bulb in place

"Clippy thing"

My kind of technical talk Mr O  :D

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »
Unplug the cable, pull off the rubber boot, un clip the clippy thing that holds the bulb in place

"Clippy thing"

Thank you, its nice to find a Lady who likes Tech-Speak. Have I pulled?  :-*  ;)

guest5685

• Topic Starter
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 07:33:25 PM »

"Clippy thing"

Thank you, its nice to find a Lady who likes Tech-Speak. Have I pulled?  :-*  ;)

Get ya coat Mr O .......  ;D

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
Re: Best winter modification for £10 what other mods will you add ?
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 11:16:37 AM »
Well, the weekend was a great test for the new bulbs.

Night driving up and down an unlit mountain, thick fog on the motorway, and driving round a cemetery on Halloween (yes really)

Fantastic light quality, great penetration (ooer missus) no glare, and great cut off on dipped beam.

Really excellent.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Best winter modification for £10 what other mods will you add ?
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »
I still don't know which bulbs will be the best... Osram Night Breaker Unlimited, Osram Cool Blue Intense or Osram Silverstar 2.0

Color temperature, lumen, price for 2 bulbs:
- Silverstar (3200K) 1650/1000 lm € 12.99
- Night Breaker (3900K) 1650/1000 lm € 24.99
- Cool Blue (4100K) 1650/1000 lm € 31.49

- Philips X-tremeVision (3700K) 1650/1000 lm € 37,99

- Osram Standard Halogen (4000K) 1650/1000 lm € 12,58
- Osram Ultra Life (3200K) 1650/1000 lm € 11,99

Based on the reviews on the online webshop the price/quality (read lifespan) of the Cool Blue and the Philips bulb are far from good (less than 8 months).
The lifespan of the standard halogen bulb is twice the lifespan of the Silverstar, Night Breaker, Cool Blue and X-tremevision. The Utra Life lives 3 times longer than the Standard halogen.
More light, whiter light, i thought i could find that in Lumen and Kelvin? But the Standard halogen color is whiter than the Silverstar and Night Breaker and the Ultra Life lives up to 6 times longer than the Silverstar with the same lumen and kelvin. Plus all the lumens are the same.
Where do i go wrong? ???
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:54:55 PM by jazzway »

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2015, 01:35:15 PM »
I can vouch for night breakers, I have had them for a couple of years at least and they are very bright and give a good spread of light.
Just done a search and they are easily found from £13.45 for a pair.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »
beware any bulb that has a colour because the colour comes from a coating on the glass envelope,  so less actual usable light gets out of the bulb.

a lower colour temperature light (more yellowish) is actually better in damp, rainy, foggy conditions because light at yellow end of spectrum doesn't get absorbed and scattered anywhere near as much as light at blue end.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2015, 10:30:03 PM »
My best mod for winter = changed wiper blades.    ;)
Also changed oil over for thinner stuff for cold starts  :D which i think i got from halfords when it had its £10 offer on.
Ford spec oil apparently, but beats specs which honda state anyways.

Oh and I bunged some heavily discounted windscreen cleaner in with de-icer.  :( but ever since temperature has never gone under 7 degree c in the mornings here.  :'(

If i come across any jazz's with lights dazzling me from about 10 mile away I will personally insert the bulbs where the sun don't shine.  :D so be warned, no over the top lights please.

Nah, actually I think it's audi's or seat's which seem to be the worst culprits where I live. Why the police don't pull them over and slap them with a ticket I don't know.

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2015, 09:31:59 AM »
My best mod for winter = changed wiper blades.    ;) <snip>
Oh and I bunged some heavily discounted windscreen cleaner in with de-icer.  :( but ever since temperature has never gone under 7 degree c in the mornings here.  :'(  <snip>

Totally agree with both of those. Proper Windscreen cleaning fluid is FAR better than the home made washing up liquid mix. I always use a hight concentrate, it makes cleaning off the road muck far easier.

One other thing. Rain X (or a similar product) makes the windscreen wipers life far easier as well as improving visibility in all rain conditions.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2015, 12:24:01 PM »
The plastics and poly's used in cars are very susceptible to the liquids that run through them.

On my 5 series the wash wiper tubing array fell apart and I had to reconstruct it  - then the garage admitted that the BMW wiper additive is one of a very few additives that wont destroy the tubing!

For instance BMW and VW have very specifically designed tubing that shrinks or goes brittle if the wrong fuel is put through them.

Also washing up liquid can cause a foam to set inside the spray jet sealing the tube solid.

But I guess Honda might be less underhand about these things than our Teutonic cousins. So you might be OK putting your own concoction in. I would not tempt fate my self.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »
One other thing. Rain X (or a similar product) makes the windscreen wipers life far easier as well as improving visibility in all rain conditions.

I tried rainex on car windows (and motorbike helmet visor) many times,  makes getting flies off visor easier and ice off car side windows in winter.  but once the wipers and washer liquid have had a play with the rainex on your windscreen it seems to make windscreen smeary,  I even tried the rainex you can add to your washer bottle,  my advice is to keep well away from it as my screen went really smeary and I deliberately pumped the washer bottle empty as quick as I could and filled it up with fresh (rainex free) screenwash,  had to give the screen a really good clean as well and it gradually got better but I will steer clear of rainex in future. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2015, 04:26:43 PM »
I find cleaning the screen and wiper blades regularly with Autoglym Fast Glass helps to prolong blade life plus using a good screenwash in the washer bottle.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »

I can vouch for night breakers, I have had them for a couple of years at least and they are very bright and give a good spread of light.
Just done a search and they are easily found from £13.45 for a pair.
Night Breakers it will be! :)

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2015, 11:26:56 PM »
Changed the standard head bulbs yesterday for Osram Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs. In 5 minutes done. :)
But now those parking light are looking very yellow. :o Want to change them to Philips White Vision ones, what did you do?

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »
Changed the standard head bulbs yesterday for Osram Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs. In 5 minutes done. :)
But now those parking light are looking very yellow. :o Want to change them to

ain't they just? Thats on my 'to do' list as well

Tags:

anything