Author Topic: Best winter modification for £10 what other mods will you add ?  (Read 41491 times)

guest5669

Re: This has to be the best winter modification for £10 ?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 10:12:36 PM »
I used PowerBulbs Sylv

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-xtreme-vision-130-h4-twin

Free delivery and 20% off if you remember to use the discount code. Nice sturdy box and lots of bubble.

These are not has good as Osram Silver Star IMO guys, but each to their own. I got mine off Amazon

UK.http://www.amazon.co.uk/SILVERSTAR-halogen-headlamp-64193SV2-HCB-double/dp/B009ATQLM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444770815&sr=8-1&keywords=osram+silverstar+2.0

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 08:16:23 AM »
I went for the Philips after chatting with PowerBulbs.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »
I used PowerBulbs Sylv
Cheaper on Amazon ::)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NMEEOV2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Maybe so, but price is not the be all and end all as far as I am concerned. Good advice costs, and I for one do not mind paying. Call me foolish if you like, but the small shop with the small shop service needs to be encouraged.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 03:21:25 PM »
Call me foolish if you like, but the small shop with the small shop service needs to be encouraged.
Sorry the post was not meant to be personal and quite agree good advice can be worth it, just a link to cheaper suppliers in case others were considering upgrading. :'(

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 04:08:30 PM »
Call me foolish if you like, but the small shop with the small shop service needs to be encouraged.
Sorry the post was not meant to be personal and quite agree good advice can be worth it, just a link to cheaper suppliers in case others were considering upgrading. :'(

Fair enough, and apologies for flying off the handle a bit

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »
I used PowerBulbs Sylv

Free delivery and 20% off if you remember to use the discount code. Nice sturdy box and lots of bubble.

These are not has good as Osram Silver Star IMO guys, but each to their own. I got mine off Amazon

UK.http://www.amazon.co.uk/SILVERSTAR-halogen-headlamp-64193SV2-HCB-double/dp/B009ATQLM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444770815&sr=8-1&keywords=osram+silverstar+2.0

From what I can see Silver star are +60% Halogen  and Phillips Xtreme vision are +130% Xenon- no contest as addition of Xenon gas to bulb allows filament to burn brighter without burning out.  I started off many years ago upgrading bulbs when upgrades first became available and when Xenon bulbs appeared they were much better than any Halogen bulb.  I have used Xtreme bright in very challenging conditions ( twisty country B roads with no white line at the edge in all weathers) and been very happy with them.  It is true with bulbs you get what you pay for and although Xtreme bright cost more than double Silver Star its well worth it for extra beam throw and brightness.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5685

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 08:33:15 PM »
Thanks for all your help.

Now I'm really confused. I just want nice bright lights and don't know which ones.

Halogen, zenon gas? Huh, explain the difference please!  :-[

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 08:54:33 PM »

Now I'm really confused. I just want nice bright lights and don't know which ones.

You won't go wrong with Silver Stars, I prefer them over the Philips. ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 09:13:33 PM »

Would you prefer 60% brighter than your standard OEM bulb or 130% brighter  is the only question.  You pay £10 for 60% brighter Silver star halogen bulbs,  for the much brighter Phillips Xtreme bright Xenon you pay £20 (Amazon) to £24 (PowerBulbs) per pair.  By the way they are both 55Watt dipped and 60Watt main beam power the same as the Honda OEM bulbs so are road legal and won't burn out your car wiring.

Xenon gas lets the filament burn at a higher temperature so you get more light output and a whiter light from the Xenon bulb.

By the way if you change your own bulbs do not touch the glass part of the bulb,  if you do the acid and salt on your skin will attack the special high temperature glass and the bulb will fail withing a few hours.  If you touch glass by accident get a paper towel dipped in methylated spirits and wipe the glass carefully and wipe it dry with a clean cotton cloth (clean hankerchief ) or paper towel.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:20:51 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5685

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 09:28:02 PM »

Would you prefer 60% brighter than your standard OEM bulb or 130% brighter  is the only question.  You pay £10 for 60% brighter Silver star halogen bulbs,  for the much brighter Phillips Xtreme bright Xenon you pay £20 (Amazon) to £24 (PowerBulbs) per pair.  By the way they are both 55Watt dipped and 60Watt main beam power the same as the Honda OEM bulbs so are road legal and won't burn out your car wiring.

Xenon gas lets the filament burn at a higher temperature so you get more light output and a whiter light from the Xenon bulb.

By the way if you change your own bulbs do not touch the glass part of the bulb,  if you do the acid and salt on your skin will attack the special high temperature glass and the bulb will fail withing a few hours.  If you touch glass by accident get a paper towel dipped in methylated spirits and wipe the glass carefully and wipe it dry with a clean cotton cloth (clean hankerchief ) or paper towel.

I certainly don't want to burn out the wiring.

I want bright legal lights.

I'm gonna go for the Phillips xenon ones.

Thanks for your help.

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »
I used PowerBulbs Sylv

From what I can see Silver star are +60% Halogen  and Phillips Xtreme vision are +130% Xenon- no contest as addition of Xenon gas to bulb allows filament to burn brighter without burning out.  I started off many years ago upgrading bulbs when upgrades first became available and when Xenon bulbs appeared they were much better than any Halogen bulb.  I have used Xtreme bright in very challenging conditions ( twisty country B roads with no white line at the edge in all weathers) and been very happy with them.  It is true with bulbs you get what you pay for and although Xtreme bright cost more than double Silver Star its well worth it for extra beam throw and brightness.

Have a look at the reviews on Amazon UK about the Philips Xtreme vision. Ive also got them on my VW TIG and they're no way better by 130%, don't always believe what it says in there Advertisements ? 

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 09:35:42 AM »
<snip>
Would you prefer 60% brighter than your standard OEM bulb or 130% brighter  is the only question.  You pay £10 for 60% brighter Silver star halogen bulbs,  for the much brighter Phillips Xtreme bright Xenon you pay £20 (Amazon) to £24 (PowerBulbs) per pair.  By the way they are both 55Watt dipped and 60Watt main beam power the same as the Honda OEM bulbs so are road legal and won't burn out your car wiring.</snip>

PowerBulbs have a 20% off offer, which makes them the same price as The River.

<snip>
Have a look at the reviews on Amazon UK about the Philips Xtreme vision. Ive also got them on my VW TIG and they're no way better by 130%, don't always believe what it says in there Advertisements ? 

I no more believe adverts than I believe on line reviews. Most reviews are written by disgruntled customers with an axe to grind. Forums can be better (at least you know a little about the person writing the review and any agenda they may or may not have) and of course my reviews are impeccable  ;D

Ask for dealer advice, at least you have a comeback if you are not happy

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »
I no more believe adverts than I believe on line reviews. Most reviews are written by disgruntled customers with an axe to grind. Forums can be better (at least you know a little about the person writing the review and any agenda they may or may not have) and of course my reviews are impeccable  ;D

James they can't all be wrong? I myself have got a set of the Philips and when I put them up against my TIG and Jazz i'd take Osram's all day every day mate ;D

guest5685

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
So now I'm thinking

Osram Silver Stars are the way to go. 8)

Tags:

anything