Author Topic: Windscreen condensation  (Read 11021 times)

guest3480

Windscreen condensation
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »
Since the weather has become a bit cold and damp (euphamism?) when I leave the car unused for a day or two, the windscreen has a lot of condensation on the inside. It clears up fine when you put on the air-con etc, but I am concerned that water may be getting in somewhere. All the carpets are dry to the feel up under the bulkhead.
Non of my previous vehicles suffered from this problem so I'm a little concerned.
Is this unusual for a Jazz?
Steve

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: Windscreen condensation
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:01:11 AM »
i wouldnt be too concerned about it.

I believe its just the "natural" moisture in the air and pretty normal imo

Oldie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES manual
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:05:02 AM »
Haven't noticed unreasonable condensation in mine - there is always a little under the conditions you specify. Have you checked in the spare wheel well?

guest3480

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »
Glad to report spare whell well bone dry!

guest3480

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »
In the meantime, I will try to locate the drains for the "air intake" at the bottom of the windscreen and make sure they are clear, better find the one for the aircon while I'm at it.
Steve

guest331

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:39:03 PM »
My wife's GD seems to be suffering with alot of condensation at the moment - have checked the boot and all dry - so far i'm putting it down to her short journeys and her reluctance to use the aircon when demisting etc ( I have tryed to explain the benefits but its not going in !!) also its sits around alot so could just be getting cold and damp inside.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »
Just leave the air con switch permanently in the on position so when you put your fan on the air con is on; when you switch the fan off the air con is off.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »
I have that in winter here too.  It seldom goes below 8 deg but is quite damp.  The condensation is as a result of incoming damp air from the outside.  To minimise it, before I turn off the engine, I set the air to the recirculate mode which closes the vents.

The other way is to hold your breath when you get into the car...
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3480

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »
Good call, I will certainly try that
Cheers
Steve

guest3418

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »
Make sure that you clean the inside of the windshield regularly as well. You will greatly reduce the condensation when the glass is clean.

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus S met Tapatalk

guest331

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:30 PM »
Just leave the air con switch permanently in the on position so when you put your fan on the air con is on; when you switch the fan off the air con is off.

I have tried that but she spots it and turns it off !! womens logic reigns !!

guest229

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 07:13:38 AM »
Octywagon,
                  The only thing I can suggest now is divorce!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 10:53:38 AM »
My wife does short journeys and won't use aircon either - guess what - her Jazz has lots of
condensation as well (and wheel well etc is bone dry)

I also offered to do her side windows with 'rainex' to stop ice sticking - didn't want them done.

Sometimes the more you keep on to women the more they dig in and 'refuse to be told anything by a mere MAN'  -  I am beginning to think you should only offer advice once and then leave them to it - maybe they just want something to moan about. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »
My wife does short journeys and won't use aircon either - guess what - her Jazz has lots of
condensation as well (and wheel well etc is bone dry)

I also offered to do her side windows with 'rainex' to stop ice sticking - didn't want them done.

Sometimes the more you keep on to women the more they dig in and 'refuse to be told anything by a mere MAN'  -  I am beginning to think you should only offer advice once and then leave them to it - maybe they just want something to moan about.

The aircon needs to be used at least about 10 minutes per week to circulate the internal lubricant through the compressor.  An expensive repair if it fails - tell her that - otherwise, hide the keys.

guest582

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »
I have sometimes wondered about the need to use aircon for a few minutes every week. If this was the case then everyone who goes on a two week holiday without the car would have defective aircon surely?

Tags:

anything