Author Topic: Honda Jazz I-SHIFT reviews (LOCKED - please start new topic for each review)  (Read 35691 times)

guest494

Re: Our reviews of the Jazz 09 I-SHIFT
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »
What a disappointment to find most of the comments on this forum. I was looking up 'problems with Honda Jazz 09 automatic' and came across this site. Before reading the comments I had hoped that my new EX Jazz I shift was badly adjusted but what I read tells me otherwise. In fact it is booked in for this week to be checked.
I could not believe that Honda would produce something so awful to drive after having 5 previous Jazz automatics.  I absolutely love everything else about the car but hate driving it and am driving it on the 'paddles' . Could have saved myself the money and bought a manual version.
Honda have committed commercial suicide with this new Jazz auto. I will not be buying my 7th Jazz !!!!!

Once again  it is not an automatic  it is a semi-automatic  and there is a big difference unles it is a system with 2 clutches (ala VW) and not just one
For what the I-shift is  - it is a good gearbox however those that are used to driving full automatics will have to change their driving styles

guest839

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »
Once again  it is not an automatic  it is a semi-automatic  and there is a big difference unles it is a system with 2 clutches (ala VW) and not just one
For what the I-shift is  - it is a good gearbox however those that are used to driving full automatics will have to change their driving styles

...or think "to hell with it" and change to another manufacturer.

Fido

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 48mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz ES+I-VTEC CVT
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »
I agree. We had intended to trade in our 05 CVT but now intend to hang on to it. And switch to another make if we decide eventually it's had enough.

guest494

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »
or wait for the Jazz Hybrid which should come with a CVT! ;D

guest874

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »
What a disappointment to find most of the comments on this forum. I was looking up 'problems with Honda Jazz 09 automatic' and came across this site. Before reading the comments I had hoped that my new EX Jazz I shift was badly adjusted but what I read tells me otherwise. In fact it is booked in for this week to be checked.
I could not believe that Honda would produce something so awful to drive after having 5 previous Jazz automatics.  I absolutely love everything else about the car but hate driving it and am driving it on the 'paddles' . Could have saved myself the money and bought a manual version.
Honda have committed commercial suicide with this new Jazz auto. I will not be buying my 7th Jazz !!!!!

OK it is not an automatic but you are being pedantic. Many people expected the new gearbox to perform similarly to the old ie, put your foot on the accelerator !  In my opinion it is certainly not what I would call a good gearbox but obviously you are entitled to your opinion as others are theirs.
We are taking delivery of a new manual to replace the I-shift next week !!!

Gittje

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 03:44:31 PM »
or wait for the Jazz Hybrid which should come with a CVT!

Is this a fact ?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
or wait for the Jazz Hybrid which should come with a CVT!

Is this a fact ?

I understand so. Honda prefer CVT for hybrids.

guest983

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »
I own a Jazz I-shift. I think it is great. I did my homework on-line AND with an extended test drive. I knew what I was getting, what it would, and would not do, and am happy with my choice.

WHAT I FIND AMAZING is the number of people in this forum who claim to have bought an I-Shift AND THEN decided they didn't like it!

So, if you are thinking of buying an I-shift, be aware that

It seems to polarise people's views (those who can be @rsed to voice one, that is)

It is NOT like driving a CVT ("Constant Velocity, Variable Noise Transmission")

It is NOT (quite) like driving a conventional auto with a torque converter

It beats the pants of BOTH the above for performance AND economy

It seems to work (well, mine does)

You should take one for a long, mixed test drive. If the Honda dealer is serious about a sale, he will let you. Only don't expect to hog his demo car for a whole Saturday.

Laurence

guest848

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 09:01:01 PM »
I own a Jazz I-shift. I think it is great. I did my homework on-line AND with an extended test drive. I knew what I was getting, what it would, and would not do, and am happy with my choice.

WHAT I FIND AMAZING is the number of people in this forum who claim to have bought an I-Shift AND THEN decided they didn't like it!

It seems to polarise people's views (those who can be @rsed to voice one, that is)

You should take one for a long, mixed test drive. If the Honda dealer is serious about a sale, he will let you. Only don't expect to hog his demo car for a whole Saturday.

Laurence

guest1092

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 11:46:49 AM »
Interesting forum post....

A new member here and I have taken an interest in reading about the iShift vs CVT debate.

For the record I have never driven the CVT in the old Jazz and my experience with autos have been consigned to our current RAV4 GX (Mark 1) and my sister in laws Previa plus the auto in the States I drove for 2 weeks on hire (Dodge Caliber).

We test drove 2 different EX models. Myself and my wife and both were impressed. My wife is an auto driver only and we managed to get over 45 mins on our own cruising around Hertfordshire and driving along the M1 for a few junctions. She was won over (she has only been dirving for less than a year) and I drove a different model a week ago on the Western Avenue (A40) and around NW London and I did have a issue when I left on the traffic lights while placing the car in neutral...the car did not kick in....overall we liked it and I also drove the manual ES but I think the word compromise was used which is appropiate.

We will pick our new one in 2-3 weeks and will let you know how we fare....

guest1235

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 01:13:15 AM »
Does anyone have any technical information regarding the i-SHIFT transmission in the Jazz?  Specifically, I am interested in its torque handling capacity.  I have looked at Honda's electronic service manual for the Jazz/Fit and while it provides a good overview and diagnostic procedures, it lacks the detailed information I seek.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 08:02:44 AM »
Have you tried asking Honda?

guest1461

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 04:04:39 PM »
I have had a quick read through this thread and so many of you are compareing CVT with the I-Shift.
I could understand compareing a CVT with an Automatic but not a CVT with the I-Shift.

The I-Shift is basicly a manual gearbox Including a clutch with motors to change gear for you or you use the padals to change yourself. Have to say though I do not like the any of the I-Shift cars produced and these will be fazzed out by the end of this year. (as in no more made)

To be fair I love the CVT as long as it dose not have a judder.

guest1288

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 02:11:44 PM »

Laurence

I'm so happy I went for the i-shift, as a lorry driver I spend my day pulling the damn gear stick a million times, then when I'm off duty I like my choice to use the sekventiel,Paddles or auto shift where and when I need to.
and hell its fun on the small twisted roads and it sounds great too when used to the max i all 6 gears the minimum drop in rpm between each gear just so so sporty.
I think its up to who you are and how you like your car to behave and your ability to drive it the right way but I'll never swap for the manuel Jazz

Tags: