Author Topic: Thoughts on CVT 'S' mode  (Read 10553 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Thoughts on CVT 'S' mode
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:00:06 PM »
I have only had my GE Jazz for ten days and have always used D mode, but just tried briefly using S mode today. As I expected the revs stay up longer and acceleration is brisker.

Reading the manual I see that when using the paddles in S mode, automatic reversion out of manual is cancelled, whereas in D mode it reverts to D mode rather easily, eg as soon as you touch the accelerator if you have selected a lower ratio for engine braking.

D mode is obviously the mode for best economy, but wouldn't the economy be as good in S mode if the driving style is such as not to make use of the extra acceleration?

The advantage of using S mode as the normal would be that the acceleration is there when needed/wanted, and the paddle mode is more predictable.

I was surprised to see the manual calls S mode "Second" not "Sports" which I thought it was.

I saw in an American link, something about S mode eliminating ratios 6 and 7 ???

Interested in any comments (and surprised that a search didn't find a previous discussion).

Thanks

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Thoughts on CVT 'S' mode
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »
After more driving in S mode, I have a better grasp of the differences.

Contray to what I suggested before, I am sure the mpg would be worse in S mode, even driven with a light foot to perform the same as D mode. The revs are higher at all speeds including cruising at 70-80.

However the car is so much more responsive and lively, even without silly revs, and mostly without going over the 3500 rpm where the variable valves come into play.

In D mode my 2011 GE 1.4 feels sluggish compared to my wife's 2008 GD 1.4 in D mode, so there are differences GD to GE in the gearing I think. Or maybe because my GD has done 9000 miles and wife' GE has done 33,000.

D mode feels like a special limited economy mode, while S mode is the unlimited natural power mode.

I am thinking that one way of driving my GE might be to use S mode as the norm/town driving, and treat the D mode like I would have done overdrive in the olden days.

Obviously for pure economy D mode all the time wins.

I will experiment more.

PS Reading the above, I sound like boy-racer, but actually I retired over ten years ago!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:01:59 PM by mikebore »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »
Reading this thread, I must experiment.

7th Gear in D mode is very high gearing  c 2,200rpm at 70mph...

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:16 AM »
Reading this thread, I must experiment.

7th Gear in D mode is very high gearing  c 2,200rpm at 70mph...

Thanks! Look forward to your comments.

Yes gearing in D mode is very high. I certainly would always want to be in D mode cruising at 70.

Another thought is that the performance in S mode must be similar to what drivers of manual Jazzes experience, further reinforcing my feeling that D is a kind of economy mode. I have never driven a manual Jazz.

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 12:05:08 PM »
All the automatic Mercedes I drove had a Sports mode and a normal mode- like S and D...

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 05:05:09 PM »
After a few more days, I think I am settling down to a driving mode where D mode is the norm, but I sometimes slip it into S mode in situations where I know the extra acceleration might be beneficial (e.g. waiting for a gap to join a busy main road, or while waiting to overtake).

This is the opposite of how I earlier thought it would be, but the car is more relaxed and quiet (as well as economical) in D mode, so S mode becomes the occasional use mode.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 06:47:28 AM by mikebore »

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »
That's interesting and good to know as I'm considering a CVT Jazz, but haven't driven one yet.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:35:14 PM »
I consciously went for a CVT as it is the best combination available  in a small car: slush gearbox and CT = seamless gearchanges.. And as economic as a manual...

Makes town driving, parking and stop /start driving quite enjoyable...

Defender

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »
Thanks Madasafish,
I'm going to look at a CVT version later today, can't wait ;D.
The two modes see to split nicely between town and main road/motorway driving.
I'm just wonder how the sales person will explain it :o.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
I saw in an American link, something about S mode eliminating ratios 6 and 7 ???

I have verified that this is actually true. If you accelerate up to 70/80 in S mode, it will not go to 6th and 7th. If you select "+" with the paddle it changes to 6th and the revs drop, and another "+" to get 7th with another drop in revs.

guest2913

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »
had a GE model as a loan from honda when i had my drive shaft replace, as i only drive autos (can drive manuals not going to learn for 3 hours like haha) i rate the auto GE poor compared to my GD1 CVT7 missed the 7 speed mode, it was anything more than de-advanced than an up grade!, why put the paddle shift in when it auto cancelled after a few seconds? it should be just CVT or with fix 7 speed mode like GD1, it was very confussing! the S mode on my GD1 i barely very used! found it very uneco friendly and wasn't much diff in performance i thought, but i did hear on a only review vid from parkers, use S in stop start traffic, used it no diff, i think it a like mod for those who like to race but on road use didnt think much of it and simular thought when i had GE aswell!

Defender

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »
Thanks to both mikebore and Madasafish with the CVT modes.
Had a test drive in a 2011 (11 plate) EX with CVT today and collect it next Tuesday ;D.
Liked the quiet unfussed cruising  on the motorway, which is important as over 1/2 my daily commute is M-way, admittedly some of that's the M25 so isn't always flowing quite as it should (!) so the auto box will be a bonus.

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »
Defender

I am sure you will enjoy it.
 I certainly do..

(It is amazing how cars have improved dramatically over the past 20 odd years. I had a mid 1980s Jaguar XJ6 and an early 1990s Mercedes 260E - both autos. The Jazz auto is smoother and better than both. I will not mention economy except to say I towed a caravan with the Jag - which had twin 10 gallon fuel tanks and I refilled both driving to Berwick on Tweed towing : I worked it out at around 14mpg. On the return trip I stuck to 50mph and averaged 19mpg.... :o     )

Defender

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 01:44:22 AM »
Yes, auto' 'boxes have com along way, I remember when they only had 3 forward speeds and seemed to take an age to do anything, they were quite often referred to as 'slush boxes'.
I've driven a CVT equipped car last some years ago, they seem to have improved too.

guest3196

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
For the first week or so I played with the paddles and S mode. Shortly after the novelty had worn off, I left it in D and forgot about it.

The system seems to make a better job of selecting the right ratios than I do.

Tags: