Author Topic: noisy wheel  (Read 3027 times)

Ciaran84

• Approved Member
noisy wheel
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
I've been getting a 'metal-on-metal rubbing' kind of sound from my front right wheel (my Jazz is GD 2005 model) that has been slowly getting more pronounced and frequent. At times when it is bad i can roll the car in the driveway with engine and handbrake off and can hear it but it normally kicks in at random times while driving. There are a few things i've noticed about it:

Pressing the brake pedal about halfway stops the noise. Sometimes it comes back as soon as i lift off the brakes, sometimes it will keep quiet for a good while.

I can't be 100% sure but it seems like reversing makes it worse.

Sometimes sharp turns seem to cause or correct it, but this could easily be coincidence.

My guess would be one 2 things. First the bearings might be on the way out. I suspect this most because i'm getting some shuddering at motorway speeds that seem to be coming from the area of that wheel. It may not be this as I haven't noticed an increase in cabin noise levels like i did when the rear bearings were going. If it's not that, I would think maybe something bent or broken underneath is rubbing off the brake pad, which would explain why when I brake, moving the disc, it stops the noise.

Can anyone suggest some simple things i can try in order to diagnose the problem myself before i take it to a mechanic? Any other ideas what could be causing this? Also, i have a day off work on Friday week i could use for having this taken care of, but is it ok to put it off until then? It has been happening for just over a week now.

guest3040

Re: noisy wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »
I would personally remove the wheel and inspect the brake pads on that particular corner.
I believe you have a worn and/or sticky brake pad rather than a knackered wheel bearing. The sound you hear is most likely the pad dragging on the disc. I've had a wheel bearing fail on another car previously, and that made a sound that was like having sand in the bearing.

If you can, remove the road wheel and inspect the pads for wear.
If they are not very worn, i would suggest removing the carrier and brake pads, clean off any dust or debris (taking care not to inhale the dust) and applying a little copper slip to the points where the pads locate in the calliper.

Steve.

caseyjones

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »
Jazzes use an audible brake pad wear indicator which consists of a small metal tag on the pad which contacts the disc when the pads reach their wear limit, making exactly the noise you describe. It can be very alarming if you don't know what it is! This is by far the most likely explanation for your problem. As soon as you conveniently can, just check the state of wear of the pads; I suspect you'll find that they need replacing.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:13:44 PM »
You have a worn brake pads.
The sound is the wear indicator which is touching the brake disk.

Ciaran84

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 07:34:05 PM »
Nice one, guys. This is a major relief! I was worried it was something much worse/more expensive. It has been a while since i last had them done, i had figured they needed doing soon anyway.

guest2052

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 07:35:04 PM »
Yeh its just worn brake pads as above.

Mine is 2005 GD too and it did the exact same thing, if you leave it like that it will soon gets louder and louder.
And then you will be scaring the pedestrians more than yourself, as you drive past :P

A pair of new pads solved my problem, I assume yours will be the same  ;)

Tags:

anything