Author Topic: ignition key wont turn  (Read 16399 times)

guest3200

ignition key wont turn
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »
hi i have put ignition key in ignition  and it wont turn i dont know if it is the immobilizer or a key problem where the code isnt being sent from chip in key to immobilizer, has anyone else experienced this problem , i dont have remote key fob just standard key,, i can get a replacement ignition unit from breakers with key could i use secondhand ignition unit with my immobiliser then the secondhand key get it coded to my original key code

bill888

• Approved Member
Re: ignition key wont turn
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:34:22 PM »
I'm sure others will confirm.   It is not an electronic immobiliser problem.  The immobiliser prevents the engine from starting. It does not prevent you from turning the ignition key.

More likely a problem with the barrel or the mechanical steering lock.

Have you tried pulling/turning the steering wheel while trying to turn the key to disengage the mechanical steering lock ?

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest3038

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »
Ranger

Can you confirm please.

Is it the key that will not turn, or is it the engine that will not turn.

Had a problem years ago wit a Rover 45, the key would turn, but not able to turn starter, the garage was logging the fault as engine would not turn, till I pointed out that the engine was able to turn, after the starter turned.

After 4 visits , replacing battery (under warranty), it was traced to a badly corrode start signal wire, which was what I said to garage at the first visit

So do not tamper with the ignition switch until definitely sure

Top Down

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:34:48 AM »
As per the earlier post. If the KEY won't turn in the lock, try jiggling the steering wheel left and right a little then try the key again. Sometimes your steering can end up in just the wrong position and the key is then jammed by the steering lock.

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:37 AM »
Try turning the key while jiggling the steering wheel left and right.

springyboy

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »
I had similar problem when car was new, key stuck in ignition lock barrel, could turn it ok to start engine but could not remove it from the ignition lock. Dealer resolved the problem quickly, I suspect they simply used more force than I was prepared to try. Been ok since.

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:02:52 AM »
Haha i couldnt turn my car off the first time i drove it (was the test drive obviously so luckily the salesman was able to point this out..)and a few times after I had purchased it had the same problem...which is..from Ignition 1 you have to push the key in to turn to zero..never encountered this before with a car but its a nice little feature.. (admittedly if i used a lot of force it would probably go round without being pushed in but i dont want to try it, and it was stiffer the first few times I had the car out than it is now, but that might be down to the car sitting on a forcourt rarely being driven for a month)

Arent ignitions fun? :P

Tags:

anything