Author Topic: Faulty wipers on 2002 jazz - only they're stuck on!  (Read 3383 times)

guest2233

Faulty wipers on 2002 jazz - only they're stuck on!
« on: April 14, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
Hi all, forgive my newbie status, im having trouble and typically its MOT time... I managed to break the linkages on the wiper mechanism - so have replaced the lot with a used part... The problem im having is when the ignition is turned on, the wipers are active in the 'constant' setting... Im not sure what it could be, ive reconnected the old part and the same result? Has anyone any ideas? I dont think there is a relay so im guessing its the stalk? It just seems a bit convenient for it to fail after switching the motor...

Many thanks

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Faulty wipers on 2002 jazz - only they're stuck on!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 09:29:16 PM »
I'm thinking the motor is wired incorrectly, with the live staying live and not being controlled by the switch . . . but I am no auto electrician

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX CVT
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:37:57 PM by DV »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »
The self-parking mechanism on wiper motors is achieved by a fixed conducting segment with a gap in it (corresponding with 'park' position) and moving electrical contact that moves with the splined spindle that carries the wiper arm and blade.  The idea is that even when the power to the wiper motor is turned off at the switch on the stalk the segment and contact keep the power on to the motor until the moving contact hits the 'gap' (non-conducting bit) and this drops the power to the motor - this should only happen when the splined spindle is in the correct position.   

The advice in the manual is to leave the blades off,  and operate the motor from the stalk, turn stalk switch on and then off  (the splined shaft should now stop in the correct place) now refit the wiper blades in the normal park position at bottom of windscreen.  The reason the wipers do not self park when you turn the ignition key off is that the power to motor is cut altogether and they cannot use the segment to keep power on until they reach park position.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2233

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »
Thanks fir the advice guys, it seems the motor has forgotten how to park or isnt receiving this correctly. However when ive connected the old motor the same problem is happening? I.e. wipers on continually? I'll have another look tomorrow and report back...

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »
Your wiring is muddled up.  Have you checked it with a meter to see which 12 volt supply is switched and which 12 volt supply is always on?

You can always do the tongue-test..
If music be the food of love, play on

Tags:

anything