Author Topic: k&n air filter!!!  (Read 8419 times)

guest3113

k&n air filter!!!
« on: April 09, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »
Hi all,back again.
I picked up a k&n air filter with hose and air breather from a carboot sale and fitted it to car the other day and all I can say is wow what a difference it has made.Car sounds more gruntier at about 3000rpm,better exceleration and averiging about 50-55 MPG around town (used to get about 45-48 with stock filter).
And all this for just,wait for it,wait for it a fiver :o
Old guy didn't know what he was selling ;D
I'll take some pics when its stopped pxxxxxg it down with rain,typical bank holiday weather again. :(
Anyone else got k&n fitted?

guest1632

• Topic Starter
Re: k&n air filter!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
Nice, well done for getting it for that price! :o

Yeah they do make a noticeable difference in power, I haven't seen the increase in mpg though :(

I've got the 57i kit (below) - is yours the same or is it a universal one? I'd like to see the pic of it  :)

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »
Lucky man wish i could pick one up for just £5, since they generally seem to cost about £80...but it is the kind of thing your insurance needs to know about. (they dont need to know about the panel filter though strangely). Im going to upgrade to the induction filter come summer I think

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:19:03 AM »
i piper cross one..

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 05:37:56 PM »
often thought about these.  Are they easy to clean and re-grease?
Upload the pictures as i would be interested to see it.

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:30:28 AM »
Yes very easy to clean and re oil. I used a hose flowing wateron the inside of the filter to flush thedirt off.

When the filter is dry I reoiled with a small paint brush putting a small amount of oil on each pleat. The filter turns pink when oiled.

It is easier to over oil than under oil and the filter takes less oil than expected.

Note: It was over 15 years ago when I last cleaned a filter so I think th is how I did it.

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »
Here are some pics of filter installed on car.Just cleaned and reoiled it.sounds great.MPG have settled down now to about 40 urban and 50 motorway so still happy.
Air intake temperature is a little to high when car is standing still but once on the move the cold fresh air is rammed into the filter via the ram air intake and boy dose that make it shift. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »
The panel K&N filter has all sorts of different numbers for the right model.......i have a 2005 se Jazz
anyone know if the filter is the one with the corner missing or the full rectangular one ? :-*

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »
What shape is the standard one you have now? You want one to match it.
The 2006 model is a full rectangle.

Vic.

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 03:27:21 PM »
The panel K&N filter has all sorts of different numbers for the right model.......i have a 2005 se Jazz
anyone know if the filter is the one with the corner missing or the full rectangular one ? :-*
if your engine looks like
http://images.courtfarmgarage.co.uk/vehicles/honda-jazz-hatchback-1-4i-dsi-se-5dr-cvt-7-2003624984-640x480.jpg

then
http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2917

as the long black plastic bit on the right hand side is where this filter is. (easy job unscrew the screws, loosen the clips with some pliers, remove the lid, take out old filter, fit new one, put lid back on, screw screws back in, let clips return to their original tightness)

Tags:

anything