Author Topic: Front (outer) cv joint gaiter replacement.  (Read 6191 times)

mgb789

• Approved Member
Front (outer) cv joint gaiter replacement.
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
Hi,  Has anyone replaced a front outer cv rubber boot themselves? My 2002 1.4 Jazz just failed MOT because of split boot. I've read about split boot kits which you wrap around the joint then glue together. Anyone tried that? If I decide to do it the "proper" way, can it be done without taking the whole thing off the car? The manual is a bit vague. Any advise appreciated. Thanks

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Front (outer) cv joint gaiter replacement.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »
I have tried using split boots in the past and found that while the boot glues together nicely you only get cable ties to attach to either end of the boot and these I found are not strong enough.

Best to have it done professionally where they use the proper metal clamps on the boot.

guest2765

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »
Thanks Jazzy, been told my CV boot is ripped a little so will be needing to get it replaced soon as well

mgb789

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
Thanks Jazzyb I'll let you know what happens.

guest869

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »
If you wanted to fit non split boots you may struggle......When I changed my gearbox getting the driveshaft out of the hub was a real pain. It involved a lot of big hammer work. You would have to do this to change the outer CV.

Once this is out you would then have to stretch the boot over the CV. This is quite easy with a cone and a warm boot (placed in hot water).

I have never had success with the glue up split boots and prefer to fit good quality boots. Cheap boots tend to split again quite soon.

mgb789

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »
John, Thanks for your reply. I've read about the stick together ones, they don't have a high success rate. I've ordered a gaiter and cone kit which includes the clips and grease. They asked for make and model and cc of car, so maybe they are not ' one size fits all '. They say the rubber is high quality neoprene which sounds OK.  Not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name. I'm waiting for the kit to arrive so will let you know how it goes.

Tags:

anything