Author Topic: Car running rough again.....  (Read 10659 times)

guest3113

Car running rough again.....
« on: March 12, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »
Just had oil and filter change and had mobil one fully synthetic oil in.now car seems to idle really low at about 500rpm and runs quite rough at low revs.
Also when aircon is on car deselerates alot quicker than normal.
I. E, if I take foot off excelerator then car slows down really quickly but with aircon off the car deselerates slower more normally.
Also in idle the car seems to sound like it's miss firing.
I have cleaned egr valve but gasket stuck down on one side but refitted it anyway. Will that be a problem?
Do you think I need to add engine additives? As previous owner had been putting forte in so old oil was quite thick compared to new oil.
Any help will be highly appreciated  :o

guest2970

• Topic Starter
Re: Car running rough again.....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »
maybe oil + filter change and check the pulley and belt??

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Sounds like it might be a coil pack... probably the one that had the badly yellowed plug attached to it... looks like it has been arcing around it due to damage, and would give the symptoms you describe.... be great if you can remember which one it was, or at least narrow it down to the front, or rear set of plugs....  here is a coil pack i found on ebay, you may get one, or a set cheaper at a scrappers... i hope this is what the problem is...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Honda-Jazz-1-3-Petrol-Coil-Pack-/180654770101?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0fdd07b5

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:34:12 AM »
 :omight £35 for one..may have to source some cheaper ones...  :'(

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:52:23 AM »
Yep, the scrappers maybe a better option!....

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 04:46:01 PM »
Car was running really rough this morning so went to local honda dealer and asked for some advice as to what it may be. Told me to take it back to the car dealers who I bought it from as it had 3 month warranty on it. Then tried to sell me honda service plan.
Anyway, I needed to put some fuel in it so found a shell garage and stuck in half a tank of v, power.
Omg, what a difference it made to car. No running problems what so ever.
Then wife tells me she stuck in a few tenner worth of tesco fuel in the day before.
Why does the fuel make so much difference to running of car?
Also, is the first line on the rev counter 0 or 500, rpm?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
Jazz does not like supermarket petrol, my wife used to use it and it never ran well until i persuaded her to use 'proper' petrol (BP, Shell etc.)  The reason supermarket petrol is cheaper is not that they are charities and feel like making your life a bit easier but

1. that they don't have the proper additives in
2. and also they sometimes have stuff in them that shouldn't be in there (like silicon, which will wreck your oxygen llambda sensor)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »
Jazz does not like supermarket petrol, my wife used to use it and it never ran well until i persuaded her to use 'proper' petrol (BP, Shell etc.)  The reason supermarket petrol is cheaper is not that they are charities and feel like making your life a bit easier but

1. that they don't have the proper additives in
2. and also they sometimes have stuff in them that shouldn't be in there (like silicon, which will wreck your oxygen llambda sensor)
Just been reading up bout of v-power on Internet seems to be good stuff. But its octane rating is 99! Isn't that just rocket fuel?? No wonder car runs great its like me having a vodka redbull for breakfast..
Oh yeah culzean, just bought some molyslip off fleebay gonna stick it in when it arrives.  ;D

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:11:40 PM »
One of my civic's i used to have .. a 1998 1.4i 5dr was running a bit rough, it kept "blipping" under acceleration, i was using supermarket fuel at the time.. i switched back to esso unleaded again (always used it) and the car suddenly ran perfect again... i still use esso, and shell on occasions, i used the V-Power in my last civic now and again and it used to go like a rocket!! i have never tryed it in my GE jazz yet... i will have to give it a go!! glad you got it sorted, i thought it would be something and nothing, honda engines are pretty much bullet proof...  ;)

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:12:24 PM »
One of my civic's i used to have .. a 1998 1.4i 5dr was running a bit rough, it kept "blipping" under acceleration, i was using supermarket fuel at the time.. i switched back to esso unleaded again (always used it) and the car suddenly ran perfect again... i still use esso, and shell on occasions, i used the V-Power in my last civic now and again and it used to go like a rocket!! i have never tryed it in my GE jazz yet... i will have to give it a go!! glad you got it sorted, i thought it would be something and nothing, honda engines are pretty much bullet proof...  ;)
Thanks gaz ;D

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »
No problemo!!  ;) ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »
Just been reading up bout of v-power on Internet seems to be good stuff. But its octane rating is 99! Isn't that just rocket fuel?? No wonder car runs great its like me having a vodka redbull for breakfast..
Oh yeah culzean, just bought some molyslip off fleebay gonna stick it in when it arrives.  ;D

High octane actually has less oomph than low octane (it burns slower) but the octane rating makes it more resistant to knocking or pinging, which means at higher compression ratios (the Jazz is about 11:1) the ECU can run with advanced timing of ignition to get more power out of each bang.  Modern petrol cars all have knock sensors (like a microphone on the engine block) which listens for the frequencies of sound that 'pinging' (pre-ignition) makes,  and it backs off (retards) the ignition timing until the sound goes away - which means engine makes less power on low octane even though there is more energy in the fuel.

Molyslip is great stuff but when it went up to about £14 a shot I stopped using it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:29:35 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2970

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 02:13:40 PM »
i only use V-power. its great! squeeze a bit more power from this tiny engine. :)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
I have used 99 octane in the past and although the engine ran smoother I cannot say that the mpg was any better. Could it be that the ignition cannot advance far enough to take full advantage of the high octane.  The best mpg I have achieved was with Esso Supreme 97 octane.

guest2970

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »
not sure bout MPG cus i always go mad on this little fellow and returns 39MPG most of the time. which is great, for most of it are non motorway travel and fairly high rev most of the time  ;D

compare to my friends Type-Rs, they all get below 20 for same kind of driving. lol

also, for engine this small, i think the best way to save petrol is the weight of the car. mine is very basic, no A/C, cd player, electric windows at the back, body kit, sunroof, ABS, spare wheel and back seats  :D
not sure bout the exact figure but mine should weight less than 960kg.

Tags: