Author Topic: oil level?.  (Read 4520 times)

guest3113

oil level?.
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »
Hi all.
Will it matter to much if oil was slightly over the Max mark on dip stick?
Just found out mine is :'(

guest2865

• Topic Starter
Re: oil level?.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
How much is 'slightly' ?

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
About 10mm.... :'(

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:03:20 PM »
That IMO is too much. Is car absolutely level when checking?  How long has it been over filled?

Get some drained off.

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
Bought the car last weekend.Done over 200 miles.Gonna get some drained off in morning.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
don't worry about oil level being only 10mm over the top mark, I normally run mine about there and it has been higher - never had a problem.

I know people say you will 'blow' seals and stuff - but remember as two pistons come down, two also go up - so the volume of crankcase doesn't get any smaller and you won't get any more pressure in there.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
The biggest issue with over filling is if the crankshaft starts dipping into oil and whipping it up into a 'cream' - this results in aerated oil - drop in pressure - damage to bearings.

The mark on the 'stick is there for a purpose - it is as easy to set correct level as not - there is no benefit apart from increased risk.

Blowing seals is the last 'stuff' to worry about.

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
I'm playing it safe and getting kwikfit to do oil and filter change with mobile one fully synth oil for just £39.... :D
Even though car has been running great...
Better not chance it.. ::)

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
gud thinkin  :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
The biggest issue with over filling is if the crankshaft starts dipping into oil and whipping it up into a 'cream' - this results in aerated oil - drop in pressure - damage to bearings.

The mark on the 'stick is there for a purpose - it is as easy to set correct level as not - there is no benefit apart from increased risk.

Blowing seals is the last 'stuff' to worry about.

Try telling that to my previous cars,  all of which have done extended mileages without a spanner on the engines - modern oils don't whip into cream - for that you need full fat milk
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1217

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 01:34:15 AM »
...over-fill will ruin your CAT.  , ideal oil level would be approx. 3/4 full,when engine warm

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »
Had oil and filter change today put mobil one fully synthetic oil in to correct quantity.
Car runs heaps better and smover and has much more acceleration than before.
Mind you the oil that came out was thick as treacle because of the forte additives in it.
The new mobil one oil is thin as vinegar so maybe this will help the engine to move as it should.
So far very happy..  ;D

Tags: