Author Topic: spark plug change how easy is it?  (Read 13950 times)

guest3113

spark plug change how easy is it?
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »
Hi all
Gonna attempt to fit new plugs to my 1.4 jazz.Front ones should be o.k to do just a bit nervous about the rear ones. :o
Any tips to make life easier?
Just a bit worried about screwing the new plugs in as they are really low down and I don't want to cross thread them.
Cheers. :)

guest2963

• Topic Starter
Re: spark plug change how easy is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
hello

my husband fitted mine the other week,

he said the front set were pretty straight forward, the rear set by your self a magnetic tray remove the throttle cable bracket  remove the bolts for the coil unit , and use a magnetic pick up pen thingy to put the plugs in the holes, put a dab of copper grease on the plug threads .. . . . . . . described by my husband  :D

hope this helps

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:37:18 PM »
to get to rear ones easily you will need to remove clips holding rear plug coil wiring in place to allow loom to be pulled out of the way - then it is very easy.

it's actually quite good that they are low down because it gives a very good guide for the socket and extension and makes it very easy to screw them in - just use fingers and the socket extension to start the thread and when it is well in then add the ratchet - don't over-tighten the plugs, it is only about half a turn after they are hand tight - they seal on the washer.

There are torque settings listed on plug manufacturers websites but most of them are hand tight then 1/2 turn with ratchet.

I always warm up the engine before removing the plugs because the aluminium of the cylinder head expands more than the steel of the plug body and it makes them easier to unscrew (some of them can be really tight to get out - especially if they have been in for a while).

most 14mm plug sockets have a rubber insert inside to hold in the plug while it is lowered into the hole - it shouldn't fall out.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:40:08 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »
Thanx  for reply guys and girls.
Unfortunately I lost the rubber thing out of my socket set ages ago so will have to Retro fit a new one somehow or just go borrow one I suppose. :'(

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:50:34 PM »
I use a piece of rubber hose (approx 12" long) to insert and remove the spark plugs. It fits snugly on the end so you can easily retrieve them.

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:21:01 AM »
Great idea ;D
Than..

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »
Than for all your help guys the plug change went smoovely.Hose pipe tip was great idea.Warming car up helped loads.Taking out rear ones were a breeze especially with a uni joint ratchet set. ;D

Tags: