Author Topic: Jasmine here -Smokey Exhaust -Blue/White smoke  (Read 6778 times)

guest3117

Jasmine here -Smokey Exhaust -Blue/White smoke
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »
My honda jazz is really smokey than normal, it seems a bit more blue and smells stronger than normal too, any ideas?

guest1583

• Topic Starter
Re: Jasmine here -Smokey Exhaust -Blue/White smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
 ;D
full service mate
oil change
filter change
air filter change
and spark plug re place use NGK.

guest3117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

I serviced my car only a week ago. Used all those you stated and with 5w-40 (UK)Oil.

Thank you in anticipation

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »
Overfilled the oil?

guest3117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 02:12:25 PM »
Nope. Just below Max.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
Blue exhaust smoke is definitely oil and because I assume from your post that it only started after recent oil change (??) it must be the oil you used - you say 'UK oil' - Is that the brand ? 

looks like whatever oil you are using is either getting past piston rings (if it smokes all the time) or getting past valve stem seals (normally smokes on starting engine and then clears).  This can be because viscosity is dropping too much when oil is warmed up or oil has already 'broken down' and viscosity is too low all the time.

Could be piston rings are worn, but I doubt that it a Honda engine - how many miles on the clock? 

I never pay less than about £30 for oil and stick to well known brands, anything else is a gamble.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
Thanks Culzean, appreciate you took time out to respond.

The smoke which emits is excessive for the first few minutes and then less excessive after about 5 minutes. Sometimes its blue, and this happens on first start up.  The oil i used is called Drive Master Fully Synthetic and is a product of mobil oil.

If the smoke clears after a short while is that ok or do i still need to get it checked. Honda has recommended 5w - 40 oil and that's what i have used. There shouldn't  really be any issues with viscosity.

When you mentioned about pistions, i read somewhere on this forum that apprently Honda jazz need there tappets/Seals reposistioned every 25, 000 miles. Im guessing that this could be it. The only major confusion i have here is that the smoke has been more obvious after the service. The mechanic is brilliant.

The car has 62k on the clock .
Any Ideas of the squeaking?

Thanks

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:56:38 PM »
Perhaps change the oil to semi synthetic.  :'(
After all the jazz isn't a racing car so why use full synthetic oil?
Its not a high reving engine so semi synthetic  should be more than adequate.
what oil did you have in the engine before the oil change? :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
if you take into account that the engine didn't produce blue smoke before the service, and therefore you can exclude valve stem and piston ring wear from the equation,  then the only thing that has changed is the oil.

I normally use Castrol Magnatec and at the moment have 5-30 A1 (Ford spec) fully synth in, got it from Halfords for about £28 (normally about £35).

Mobil oil is normally good stuff, but may just be the 'wrong' oil for your engine - I would always use fully synthetic (for the right price) because it is just so much better than semi-synthetic in all departments.

It's the tappets that are supposed to be adjusted every 25K on pre-2006 GD Jazz - but don't worry my GD has done almost 100K now and tappets have never been touched - (my wifes GD has done almost 80K and likewise never been adjusted).  The tappets will not make the exhaust smoke anyway.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 09:50:53 AM »
Thats great. Well guys i have just sorted it all out!

Turns out that there was condensation in the fuel tank and exhaust system.  The car is onlky driven to the local school and back. I always have a quarter of tank in and the to makes things worse is this terrible ice cold weather. All i did was run it up the motorway at 75mph  for half an hour and it is now fine.

The squekyness has now gone, i was also the cold. WD-40 on the alternator belt did the trick. Thanks for all your help and advice guys.

Tags:

anything