Author Topic: Changing a dashboard illumination bulb  (Read 10161 times)

guest809

Changing a dashboard illumination bulb
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »
Did I have an interesting Saturday or what?!!

We have just agreed to sell our 2005 Sport to a friend (new EX on the way on Thursday) and it has the automatic aircon fitted. Behind the control switches are four small bulbs which provide illumination at night so that you can see which button to press.

My problem was that one of the bulbs had failed and I could not sell it to a friend knowing the dealer would charge an hour's labour to replace it. I hope what follows will therefore be of use to someone one day.....

Firstly, I could not find the bulb quickly locally anywhere other than in the dealer - although I think I could have ordered them off EBay. So £3.83 later, I set to my task.

First step is to remove the inner glovebox. You do this by opening the glovebox and gently pulling the top section - it should come away easily.

Second, you remove the single posi-drive screw holding the cover underneath the central dials.

Next reach your hand inside the area where you have removed the glovebox liner - your aim is to twist your hand around to the right - and using a screwdriver or similar put some gentle pressure on the back of the lower cover of the aircon dials. (This is the cover where you have just removed the screw).

You should see it begin to bend outwards and you can CAREFULLY ease it forward. There is a lug either side towards the top and the reason I say carefully is because you could try to ease it forward by inserting a screwdriver to prise it open but you need to be careful not to damage the plastic.

Right, now comes the tricky bit.

You will see the bulb is what they call a wedge design - which seems to mean it is a glass bulb set permanently in its own plastic holder; a complete unit. You will also see there is a groove cut into the back face of the plastic and you need to find a very small screwdriver (both a small blade and not more than say four inches long) to fit into this groove. This will enable you to unscrew the existing bulb and indeed insert the new one.

The four bulbs are inserted into the aircon control unit - the problem is that in what I have described so far, said control unit is still firmly in situ as part of the central dashboard. Your challenge should you choose to accept it is to be able to get your small screwdriver up the gap you have created by removing the lower cover in such a way as you can unscrew the existing bulb and holder. It needs a tiny turn to remove it and if you place a mirror behind the gearstick and facing up you can see the back of the aircon control unit (it's white in colour by the way).

You will now be able to see there are four holes or recesses, each of which holds one of the illumination bulbs, and they are identified by having something like lock/insert printed next to them on the back of the aircon unit. Obviously you need to identify which bulb you are trying to change and then you use your small screwdriver to undo the dead bulb.

Now the clever bit.

Because the bulb goes in at a slight upward angle, and because the bulb disappears into a recess which means you can only grip it so far (but not far enough to apply any turning force on it) I had to find a way of securing the bulb holder to my small screwdriver. I did this by wrapping sellotape around the screwdriver BUT sticky side facing outwards which meant the bulb stuck to the screwdriver so I could guide it into the hole and apply the tiny turn required to secure it in position.

It is wise at this stage to check the bulb is working before you put everything back together!!

Then it is a very simple (five minute) job of pushing the lower cover back in place, putting the screw back in place to hold it, and pushing the inner glovebox liner back onto its holding lugs.

The whole job took me about two hours and at least a third of that was wasted taking off panels which I did not need to. Like they always say, it is always easy the second time you do a job and I hope my experience will help others.

Feel free to ask any questions if any of the above is not clear.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX CVT
Re: Changing a dashboard illumination bulb
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:25:44 PM »
You were not far from taking the whole radio out with the centre dash together (unclip 3 cables (heater) behind the glovebox, disconnect electrical connectors and undo 2 screws under the radio (8mm socket), about 3-5 extra minutes in total). Than you could have everything in your lap to do the job.
You could have saved around 1-1.5 hour job.

Dashboard Center Panel Removal/Installation:
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/M0/SAA2EM0J26220219291KDAT00.HTML
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:44:29 PM by DV »

Tags:

anything