Author Topic: Air Filter - K&N or Pipercross?  (Read 27789 times)

guest2915

Air Filter - K&N or Pipercross?
« on: February 04, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Which is best for a 1.4 GD? I know there is very little in it and the K&N needs oiling, but which is better for the Jazz engine? And does it make acceleration more smoothe?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :D

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Air Filter - K&N or Pipercross?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:50:26 PM »
I put a K&N in my GD CVT and the only difference I noticed was at high revs such as with a floored throttle when overtaking.The engine seemed to be a little more lively.
There was no change to fuel consumption.
When checking the K&N website make sure you have the shape and dimensions of your standard filter.The one listed has a corner cut off which the standard filter doesn't.Check other specs and you will find the right one. I've just checked the part number on the box and it is 33-2359.

Vic.

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:53:50 PM »
 ;D
Anybody upgraded on manual version..

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »
I have a 2003 1.4 manual and I replaced the filter element with a K&N element.

I notice a slight rasp from the induction when revving the engine. But can not notice power changes.

The standard paper element, when new, should flow adequate air for the engine (if Honda have done their job correctly). However paper element filters flow drops off dramatically when they get dirty. K&N flow well even when dirty. I know this because engine tuning expert David Vizard has done the research. He uses K&N on all his engines and if they are good enough for him they are good enough for me.

I have no experience of Pipercross because I always use K&N on all my engines.

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »
 ;D
have you just use/re place with k and n filter element , is that what you mean, not using an iduction etc..I know the filter element of that rand 1 million miles warranty but do you still need to clean it also.(without re placing).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »

However paper element filters flow drops off dramatically when they get dirty. K&N flow well even when dirty.

Well all I can say is that the holes in K&N must be larger than the holes in the Honda filter, and the Honda filter blocks up because it is actually preventing all that gung from getting into your engine.  Now if Dyson made car air filters !!!!!!  And as for saying 'if Honda have done their job properly' - they are the largest manufacturer of engines in the world (from Lawnmower engines to aircraft engines) so I assume they know what they are doing.  The limit on the GD engine at higher revs is not the air filter, it is the fact that it only has 8 valves and a narrow inlet tract designed to speed up the air at lower revs and swirl it into the combustion chamber - it was designed as a docile engine for urban commuting and not a tune-able high revving engine - that would be the Honda VTEC 16 valve engine.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »

However paper element filters flow drops off dramatically when they get dirty. K&N flow well even when dirty.

Well all I can say is that the holes in K&N must be larger than the holes in the Honda filter, and the Honda filter blocks up because it is actually preventing all that gung from getting into your engine.

It is all to do with the way the filters are constructed and how they filter. Paper element filters work in a different way to the oiled cotton gauze of the K&N.

I know this link is from K&N http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm so not truely independent.

And as for saying 'if Honda have done their job properly' - they are the largest manufacturer of engines in the world (from Lawnmower engines to aircraft engines) so I assume they know what they are doing.  The limit on the GD engine at higher revs is not the air filter, it is the fact that it only has 8 valves and a narrow inlet tract designed to speed up the air at lower revs and swirl it into the combustion chamber - it was designed as a docile engine for urban commuting and not a tune-able high revving engine - that would be the Honda VTEC 16 valve engine.

I should reword my comment,"Assuming packaging and NVH constraints did not dictate the size of the air filter."

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
This link leads to an interesting website (American) - read comment 11 and 74  for an engineers view on paper vs oiled cotton or other filters.

http://cars.about.com/b/2006/05/18/can-a-better-air-filter-improve-fuel-economy-well-find-out.htm

Honestly, the last engine in the world I would try to tune up is the Honda GD DSi 8 valve unit - it is what it was designed to be (and does extremely well), an economical 8 valve low revving,  tractable 'urban trolley' engine with no pretension to high power - on the other hand,  put a Honda twin cam VTEC under the bonnet and 'the world is your Lobster'
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 06:19:55 PM »

Funny to say all these upgrades(car performance etc.) are backed/fueled up buy commercialization of auto industry in short money making... and profit

guest2915

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »
Thank you all for some very useful information. I should just mention I am not trying to tune my engine but rather get a filter I don't have to pay to be changed at every service.

;)

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »
I would personally choose the K&N's oiled cotton gauze filter over Pipercross' foam filter.
I have used several different types of filter in the past (K&N, Pipercross, Green, BMC) and always found fewer pieces of dust and debris in the intake tract when using K&N filters.
Now, like others have mentioned, the OEM paper filter probably does a better job at catching more/smaller particles. But providing you do regular oil changes, using an aftermarket air filter shouldn't really cause any problems.

I'll be purchasing a K&N panel filter for my GD1 soon as it's due a service in March. Maybe you can let me know where you are going to get yours from?...

Steve.

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »
I bought my K&N from Yates and Bloomfield off Ebay, total cost £35.48.

One of the main reasons for purchasing was to save the cost of replacement filters.

As regards the comment of why OEM`s do not fit them if they are so good. The main reason is cost. Saving a single Euro on a car is a huge deal especially on a cheaper model with large volumes. I work in the auto industry and am often in discussion about saving 5 cents per car and I am working at the luxery end of the market.

If anybody wants to see flow figures for various filters, David Vizard has published them in his various books. Tuning BL A Series Engine is one of them.

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »
Just purchased my K&N replacement filter from YBFilters on eBay.

Here is the link if anyone wants it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390293758932?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Part Number: 33-2917.
To fit: Honda Jazz 1.4 '01-'08
Price: £32.79 (free delivery).  ;)

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 06:24:22 PM »
 ;D
hi have you isntalled them. any changes/improvement you experience...im planning to get one as well.

guest2928

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:22:44 PM »
I have a K&N fitted on my Jazz. I only had it fitted because the old Honda one was on its last legs. I found the car mighty sluggish before. After fitting the K&N, it seems to 'pull away' better and overtake well when doing over 40. It could be all in my head though...  :P

Tags: