Author Topic: first windscreen de-ice of the year  (Read 4478 times)

aphybrid

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 677
  • Country: gb
  • Fuel economy: 58.27
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Advance - Sage Green Pearl
first windscreen de-ice of the year
« on: October 08, 2026, 10:57:43 AM »
Iced over windscreen this morning requiring de-icer.

East Perthshire

Nicksey

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 790
  • Country: gb
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
Re: first windscreen de-ice of the year
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2026, 02:38:41 PM »
I was in that 'misty inside, try a bit of heat.. no, turn the heat down.. no, try it cooler... no, try it with the air-con.. every way possible mode.

Lord Voltermore

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3265
  • Country: gb
  • Fuel economy: 66.6 mpg
  • My Honda: 2024 advance
Re: first windscreen de-ice of the year
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:50:36 AM »
After a lot of tidying I am now  finally able to park in my garage .With remote control electric shutters   :D  I hope ice scraping and heavy condensation will be largely be a thing of the past   :P   ;D 

Incidentally I am currently insured for parking on the driveway. Does anyone know if there is a big premium reduction  for parking in a locked garage overnight ?   (UK)  .

The obvious answer may be ask your insurer. But I think if you ask questions like that  ,or try variations when searching for a quote ,its  noted on your  record, available to all insurance companies. This might trigger  a red flag of doubt  in the event of a relevant claim. Sods law something would  happen the one night I forget to put the car away and the claim would be refused.  If there is little or no saving i'd rather be leave it as driveway cover. 
My IQ test came back negative

ColinS

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 987
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: first windscreen de-ice of the year
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:10:50 AM »
Incidentally I am currently insured for parking on the driveway. Does anyone know if there is a big premium reduction  for parking in a locked garage overnight ?   (UK)  .
I don't think the savings are significant but it does no harm to tell them if you consistently park in a garage.  If you leave your car out on the odd occasion, I don't believe that it matters (that is certainly my pattern).  The difference between parking in a garage and parking on the road (as opposed to your drive) would be more significant, but largely depends on your postcode.

Lord Voltermore

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3265
  • Country: gb
  • Fuel economy: 66.6 mpg
  • My Honda: 2024 advance
Re: first windscreen de-ice of the year
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:41:35 AM »
Hmm. I dont suppose they can refuse a claim when you spend the night  away from home, but I wouldnt like to put it to the test  if the crime report (theft of or from car for instance) indicates the car was at or near your home address but not  garaged  as declared. (or parked on the road ,not on the driveway as declared.) 

Its quite noticeable how many domestic garages in the UK are never used for the car. Many are too small, have poor access, or used for storage etc.  But how many of those owners claim their car is garaged.    The difference in risk may be small, but  most insurers  are only too pleased to refuse a claim if they can find a discrepancy.
My IQ test came back negative

Jazzik

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1848
  • Country: pl
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: first windscreen de-ice of the year
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:49:32 AM »
I read the first post in this thread and thought:
Something very strange is going on here. The title is 'first windscreen de-ice of the year'. The current year is 2026. It strikes me as rather odd that de-icing wasn't needed for the first time until October.
Has climate change in the UK really resulted in there being no frost at all during January, February, and March of 2026?
Will we soon see pictures of palm trees around Achmelvich Bay and Sandwood Bay, just like on the Isles of Scilly?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Pine

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 480
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: 2026 Advance Sport Crystal Red
Re: first windscreen de-ice of the year
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:57:33 AM »
It would be interesting to know if parking in a garage changed insurance costs.  There would be less chance of the car being stolen but there could be a higher chance of accidental damage. 
I know of someone who had tins of paint hanging from the rafters.  One somehow one fell onto the car roof, the paint didn't spill but it did dent the roof.
Another person scraped the side of the car driving through a narrow door opening.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:56:35 PM by Pine »

JB

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 217
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: Jazz Advance Sport Hybrid
Re: first windscreen de-ice of the year
« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:13:52 PM »
I think it does make a little bit of difference to price, I didn't ask [I ought to have done]
when I was filling in forms with insurance agent he asked is the car garaged overnight I
replied yes, he said good and carried on with the form.
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/how-parking-affects-premiums/
I forgot what I came to forget.

ColinS

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 987
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT

Lord Voltermore

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3265
  • Country: gb
  • Fuel economy: 66.6 mpg
  • My Honda: 2024 advance
Re: first windscreen de-ice of the year
« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:56:27 PM »
I read the first post in this thread and thought:
Something very strange is going on here. The title is 'first windscreen de-ice of the year'. The current year is 2026. It strikes me as rather odd that de-icing wasn't needed for the first time until October.
Has climate change in the UK really resulted in there being no frost at all during January, February, and March of 2026?
Will we soon see pictures of palm trees around Achmelvich Bay and Sandwood Bay, just like on the Isles of Scilly?
Scilly Billy . By the same measure most people forget that new years day comes  BEFORE  Christmas day  ;D

I did think of fitting my winter wheels today but ironically it was too cold and windy.  (not quite enough room  to do it in my garage)  Forecast is warmer for Monday. 

 
My IQ test came back negative

coldstart

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 853
  • Country: ch
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY24 Jazz Adv
Re: first windscreen de-ice of the year
« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:43:45 PM »
I did think of fitting my winter wheels today but ironically it was too cold and windy.  (not quite enough room  to do it in my garage)  Forecast is warmer for Monday.
I'm quite aware that you folks live a lot "up north" from me!
However, aren't you somewhat at "sea-level"? - I'm living at about 700 metres altitude and am not (yet) concerned about changing to winter wheels. Though, I do have an appointment for the change but only much later this month. Temperatures around here are still well above freezing point even during the nights.

Tombola

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 352
  • Country: gb
Re: first windscreen de-ice of the year
« Reply #11 on: Today at 07:51:08 PM »
After a lot of tidying I am now  finally able to park in my garage .With remote control electric shutters   :D  I hope ice scraping and heavy condensation will be largely be a thing of the past   :P   ;D 

Incidentally I am currently insured for parking on the driveway. Does anyone know if there is a big premium reduction  for parking in a locked garage overnight ?   (UK)  .

The obvious answer may be ask your insurer. But I think if you ask questions like that  ,or try variations when searching for a quote ,its  noted on your  record, available to all insurance companies. This might trigger  a red flag of doubt  in the event of a relevant claim. Sods law something would  happen the one night I forget to put the car away and the claim would be refused.  If there is little or no saving i'd rather be leave it as driveway cover.
Wildly off topic
 https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-selling-guides/car-insurance-myths/

Tags:
 

Back to top