Author Topic: My very first post......for help =)  (Read 8272 times)

guest1874

My very first post......for help =)
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:36:51 PM »
Hi all!!!

I am currently in the market for a second car for commuting and ive pretty much narrowed it down to a Manual 05/06 Jazz sport  :)

Ive test driven a few and they seem to have a very capable and frugal engine!

Do u guys/gals have any advice on what to look out for when it comes to viewing a Jazz to buy?? Any weak spots i should i be aware off?? any spots prone to rusting?? ( ive owned a few hondas in the past and most are prone to rusting in the rear arches)...Im also a little concerned with a few of the forums talking about the weak bearings on the gearboxes and it seems very common  :o

On the Service front i note that the big ones are every 25k and been told the tappets possibly need adjusting?? been told my local honda the 'big service' is circa £500 which is quite expensive no??? most of u use ur stealership for this service?? im just generally worried that if i was taking it to a local garage they probs wont have a look at the tappets as it involved removing the inlet manifold etc!!

for now thats it  :P if any of u see nice blue or black sport for sale let us know :) working with a small budget of 6k

ciao!!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: My very first post......for help =)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
Hello and welcome :)

Rust isn't a problem as far as we know. What Honda's did you own that went rusty round the rear wheelarches? I think this weak spot has been eradicated across all makes in the last 15 years...except some pre-Focus Fords. ;)

2006-on models don't need the tappets done until 62,000miles. Some on here with earlier cars have never had the tappets adjusted and report no problems.

A problem that can rarely occur with going outside the Honda dealer network is some smaller garages may forget the Jazz has eight instead of the usual four spark plugs.

guest1874

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:53:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply  :D

Use to drive a ek4 VTI and a integra DC2 both had similar probs! even my current bmw 330 is experiencing some rust in the arches! think im cursed  :-X

06 would be 62k miles?? but they fetch a slight premium over the 05 plates (circa £1,000) so a problem i need to weigh out....

in regards to the tappets think i would like them maintained accordingly
----- Double Post Prevention - new post below: 1295812821 -----
http://pistonheads.com/sales/2325320.htm

Good price??? 2006 spec as well .... so 62k tappets is a good 20k miles away  :P

guest1844

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
I have an '05 and I am a bit surprised at the amount of surface rust under mine. A lot of the  suspension components are really quite rusty and bolts would take a bit of shifting. If I compare it to my 12yr old Volvo, the Volvo is in much better condition underneath, with barely any rust at all. Also the paint on the Jazz is not as good - chips easily and subsequently rusts. I have to say it has the worst paint of any car I've recently owned. Not saying its bad, but European paints are better, inc my old Citroen. I'm going to get the paint chips / door edges repaired professionally this summer to keep it at bay.

I do think the previous owner had only used car-washes as the underside was caked with old dirt. You can't beat a hand wash with hosing the sills/arches every week, esp in winter. My Aunt has an '03 Jazz and I checked under hers and hers has much less rust, but where she live the roads aren't salted.

If it's clean underneath then I expect you can keep it that way. I suspect rust will be the eventual killer of Jazzes, I predict many will succumb fatally by 10 yrs old.

No other probs except a sticking brake.

I'd be interested to know if others have noticed rust under theirs. Just stick your head under the back bumper and check the back beam axle. The other place us the main front suspension strut (what the coil spring goes round). I can flake of rust with my fingers and the nuts have seized on the bolts. They would have to be cut out if they ever needed shifting.

Other than that, it's a great car, Honda make great engines and the Jazz engine is no exception. Since engines are the most complicated bit of a car, and therefore the most expensive bit to fix, this remains a strong virtue of the Jazz.

guest1874

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
thanks bazzer!

i keep a note and look at the surface rust!

how about the gearbox peeps? i keep hearing its a weak design and the bearings are prone to breakin  ???

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:05:07 PM »
Do some research on Autotrader, Pistonheads, your local newspapers and Honda dealers to get an idea on how much Jazz's are going for. By all means have a look at the valuations on Parkers and What Car but these are not always a reliable guide.

I know the change to the tappet adjustment schedule was made on 2006 models but when '2006 models' start I have no idea - 55 plate? 06 plate? I know 2006 models also have a AUX-in socket next to the cigarette lighter for MP3 players so could be the best way to identify one.

guest1874

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:24:04 PM »
checking the AUX plug seems the easiest way forward lol thanks!

looking forward to Jazz ownership...commuting work hopefully be a little bit more exciting =)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »
Read the car by car section of honestjohn co uk
Have you checked your insurance quote again use athe main comparison sites
When you find the right car ask to ring the prev owner...
always interesting to see the dealer reaction
or try BCA for sure sell bargains

guest1874

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
Thanks! had a good informative read on honestjohn! gave me a little more insight into the car...if not a little bit more cautious now lol!

Ive never bought via a BCA...never considered it cause of the possible risks involved .. u have any experience in it??

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:40:18 AM »
 :D

Rust is inevitable in most cars here in UK, knowing the fact that in winter months roads are being grite d withj rock sal that last thru summer month. 
When most of  the roads are dry and nice and summer months these things are to watch out for where corrosion from salt particles takes place.  But constant car washing in winter times is bit hard to do, and does not guaratee a corrosion free car.  It is but reality the any car would get corroded in any time of its lifespan. :'(

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
If it wasn't for salt on our roads all modern cars would last about 30 years.  They are much better made than cars have ever been.  All the seams and edges on bodies of modern cars are sealed, the large plastic bumpers keep stones off the metal bits, much more zinc and powder coated steels are used.  The rust you can see underneath most cars is the suspension arms etc which get lots of stones and salt hitting them and are heavy forgings anyway, the other bits are made out of thick steel which can stand a bit of rust without any bother.

When you bought a new car in the 60's 70's and 80's they would keep you awake at night with the sound of rusting metal. The original mini had major rust problems after 18 months to 2 years no matter how well looked after, and certain Italian cars were rusty before they even left the factory. Any modern car will last 10 years without worrying about rust and even then it will be fairly localised and won't be in any safety critical area. Most people would never keep a mobile phone or TV for 10 years, but expect their car to be in good condition after that time despite the harsh environment it has to operate in every day.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1844

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 10:34:35 PM »
I take your point culzean. It the comparison with other cars that surprises me. My '98 Volvo V70 has almost no rust on it - meaning that everything outside the wheel arches has absolutely nothing at all, and the suspension arms etc have a very light dusting, but they are basically still black. A couple of bolts are a rusty colour but shifted the other day first time, after a quick spirt of WD40. My previous '04 Citroen had less rust on the suspension components.
The Honda's paint seems to flake easily - there are a couple of small "supermarket trolley" dents where the paint has flaked off, leaving the undercoat. I was just expecting a bit better on a modern car.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 07:52:37 PM »
The paint on most Japanese cars is very soft.

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
What was the "other option" to buy, Vs the Jazz?....it would be interesting to compare.......as it is obviously a close run thing............. :-\

guest1844

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »
Suzuki Swift? I think they were out about 2006, tad pricey 2nd hand for me. Prob a better drive and more trendy. I suppose there's the Nissan Note, but a Jazz wins that comparison.

Tags:

anything