Author Topic: Automatic high beam warning light disappears  (Read 21225 times)

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
Automatic high beam warning light disappears
« on: July 18, 2024, 10:27:06 AM »
Hi everyone,
I noticed this fact last night,
I was on the motorway at around 130 km/h with the lights on (it was late evening) and looking at the dashboard I saw the high beam symbol with the letter "A" go off (the low beam lights continued to work normally), then come on again .
This thing has happened other times, what could it be? Has anyone had this problem?
I'm a little worried, I don't want something to break!?
Thank you all for the information you can provide me.

(Sorry for the mistakes, I used Google Translate)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Automatic high beam warning light disappears
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 11:21:44 AM »
Sounds to me, like you have Auto High Beam activated.
This will switch from high to low beam when approaching traffic to avoid blinding drivers.
It can set On/Off in Settings.

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY24 Jazz Adv
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2024, 12:22:06 PM »
I was on the motorway at around 130 km/h with the lights on (it was late evening) and looking at the dashboard I saw the high beam symbol with the letter "A" go off (the low beam lights continued to work normally), then come on again .
This thing has happened other times, what could it be?

The manual states the following conditions under which the auto high-beam system may be deactivated:

In the following cases, the auto high-beam system may not switch the headlights properly or the switching timing may be changed. In case of the automatic switching operation does not fit for your driving habits, please switch the headlights manually.
• The brightness of the lights from the preceding or oncoming vehicle is intense or poor.
• Visibility is poor due to the weather (rain, snow, fog, windscreen frost, etc.).
• Surrounding light sources, such as street lights, electric billboards and traffic lights are illuminating the road ahead.
• The brightness level of the road ahead constantly changes.
• The road is bumpy or has many curves.
• A vehicle suddenly appears in front of you, or a vehicle in front of you is not in the preceding or oncoming direction.
• Your vehicle is tilted with a heavy load in the rear.
• A traffic sign, mirror, or other reflective object ahead is reflecting strong light towards the vehicle.
• The oncoming vehicle frequently disappears under roadside trees or behind median barriers.
• The preceding or oncoming vehicle is a motorcycle, bicycle, mobility scooter, or other small vehicle.

The auto high-beam system keeps the headlight low beam when:
• Windscreen wipers are operating at a high speed.
• The camera has detected a dense fog.

So, looking back, would it seam any of these conditions would match your situation?
If yes: Normal operation
If no: Talk to your dealer about it

Wonder

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 08:06:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies but maybe I didn't explain myself well,
I always use the lights in automatic mode,
when the light goes out (evening night tunnel etc.) the high beam symbol with the letter "A" appears but the low beam lights continue to work, only in the case of absolute darkness, without other vehicles etc.. the high beam lights come on and the blue light symbol appears (blue warning light),
when the high beam turns off the blue light obviously disappears.
Instead, it happened that the automatic light symbol disappeared,
the one with the letter "A" without me touching anything, then it reappeared.
This has happened several times.
I hope I have explained myself.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Civic e:hev elegance 2024
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 06:47:16 AM »
When you use high beam to signal (by pulling the lever towards you) automatic high beam is turned off for a while; the symbol disappears. Might that be the case?

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 08:07:09 AM »
I know what you mean. I too notice the symbol disappears from the display after awhile. I don't know why, all I know is the lights still continue to activate as and when they should do with approaching cars/built up areas and street lights. I just ignore the symbol disappearing now and let it get on with it.

Wonder

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2024, 09:05:42 AM »
When you use high beam to signal (by pulling the lever towards you) automatic high beam is turned off for a while; the symbol disappears. Might that be the case?

Hi, no I'm sure I didn't blink at anyone

Wonder

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2024, 09:10:03 AM »
I know what you mean. I too notice the symbol disappears from the display after awhile. I don't know why, all I know is the lights still continue to activate as and when they should do with approaching cars/built up areas and street lights. I just ignore the symbol disappearing now and let it get on with it.

Hi, the same thing happens to me, I thought I was a unique case, I noticed this on Monday, but I couldn't tell you how long it's been doing it or if it's always done it.
The lights still work fine for me too.
I wanted to stop by the workshop, but the summer holidays are starting soon and the activities have a strong reduction in service and therefore we would practically skip September

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2024, 12:12:26 PM »
Its does need to be dark enough for Auto High beam to be active, if driving at twilight, it can often be dark enough for auto lights to come on, but no be dark enough for Auto High beam to be active. At this time going under trees etc. that reduce the light levels very slight can mean it doe  become active, only to go off again when the light reduction has passed. So the indicator can be seen turning on and off, that is normal.

Wonder

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2024, 07:32:56 PM »
Interesting observation,
It already seemed dark to me but it could actually be the situation you describe,
when I happen to use the car again I'll look at it again.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2024, 07:11:06 AM »
It happens in full darkness. Nothing to do with twilight/dawn or tunnels. If you are driving in full darkness, with no oncoming traffic/streetlights/built up areas and the full beam is on using the 'auto' setting, the symbol disappears at some point... even if the full beam is still activated.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2024, 08:18:31 AM »
I too had been confused by exactly when and if the lights and their dashboard warning lights should be coming on and off.  I thought I had learned it all  and began to think I must have forgotten it again.  (like the other stuff I really have forgotten :-[ )

But no  - it really is that confusing.    So my plan to become a political leader  in my old age is still on the cards.   

I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2024, 03:25:19 PM »
I too had been confused by exactly when and if the lights and their dashboard warning lights should be coming on and off.  I thought I had learned it all  and began to think I must have forgotten it again.  (like the other stuff I really have forgotten :-[ )

But no  - it really is that confusing.    So my plan to become a political leader  in my old age is still on the cards.   

Politicians ramble on with meaningless drivel, generally repeat what others have already concluded and seldom offer a direct answer.

Do you really think that you qualify :)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2024, 06:54:10 AM »

Politicians ramble on with meaningless drivel, generally repeat what others have already concluded and seldom offer a direct answer.

Do you really think that you qualify :)

Thats me in a nutshell  ;D  Ideal as the leader of my new  "brevity" party.   The party theme song will be Roy Orbison'' "Anything you want, you got it" 
 Todays brilliant idea . Britain can be free of this fancy lighting nonsense ,and other EU road  safety  regulations.   I will reintroduce the  Red flag Act  of 1865 .  Someone has to walk in front of the car carrying a red warning flag. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 07:25:29 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2024, 06:48:54 PM »
From my observations, the A symbol only illuminates fully when it is dark enough for auto high beams to activate. Normal dipped headlights will always work regardless. If I enter the dartford tunnel with little traffic (not often!), it will illuminate briefly. It will only illuminate permanently for me during dark night drives.

Tags: