Author Topic: Major loud squeaking/squeal. Not a grinding noise!  (Read 2684 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Major loud squeaking/squeal. Not a grinding noise!
« on: June 26, 2024, 03:13:52 PM »
Hi All, Hope eveyone enjoying decent weather for a change! I think & hope my car is enjoying it too much, getting too hot!

When doing usual around small town errands, driving involves no more than 3 miles at a guess, on occasions get a very loud squeak/squeal, and sometimes sounds like the brake system is hanging off the car axle! It always seems to be coming from the rear brake on drivers side. it sounds bloody awful with window down in this weather, when it happens.

Past 2 occasions we thought (as we saw) somebody had run over a can wilst they were mowing the lawn and even saw someone checking their lawnmower...unless it was the car making them think summat wrong with lawnmower!

It happened for about 50 metres today whilst going shopping. Only been driving less than 5 minutes and really shook us up, realising that it was the car making this noise. Few seconds later when parked up at supermarket, I checked brakes, nothing stuck in wheel on catching on brakes themselves, but the one I think which is culprit was bloody hot (know they get hot from being used-but dont really use handbrake unless parking. If we stop for a couple of seconds, it seems to remedy itself.

So is it just the brakes & disc getting so hot in weather and expanding slightly more than usual, or is there something more serious? Hoping other members are experiencing same sound/problem, hence just due to weather. As always, ever grateful for any replies and comments. Many thanks & take care out there.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Major loud squeaking/squeal. Not a grinding noise!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 03:44:53 PM »
Caliper seizing on/slide pins corroded.Or both.
Brakes SHOULD be serviced regularly..
Srip down and rebuild at best, new caliper at worst.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 04:23:28 PM »
I should have added that the noise/squealing only happens when were travelling/in motion. Not when we are braking or using brakes!?
Is it only a garage (have a good local mechanic) that can diagnose caliper seizing on/slide pins corroded?
Many thanks for reply madasafish.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 05:14:23 PM »
If the caliper is seizing, the wheel will feel hot at the end of a journey. 

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 06:11:28 PM »
Wow! Actually thought wheels, or actually the disc would feel hot anyway, even after such a short journey. Maybe less than mile after stopping outside newspaper shop for few minutes and then few minutes drive to supermarket, where when checking, noticed it was hot to the touch! Would wheels/discs feel cool even after braking, or at least not feel too hot to bear to touch?

Also have just checked last service document when had MOT in November last year, and brakes pads, all of them are at '30% worn'! Does that mean pads have 70% life left? If not & only 30% life left, is it possible that rear pads have worn down to 20% or less in 7 months, maybe doing after calculation 1500 miles?

Sorry for tech queries, know will have to get car to garage for check asap, asking to concentrate on brakes/discs, just that car is needed until middle next week when free!

Again MT for any further advice/help.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 06:34:31 PM »
When trying to check state of brake pads through the wheel gaps, I also noticed that appears to be more brake dust on the rear alloys than the front. Does this help add anything to the equation?

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Civic e:hev elegance 2024
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 06:38:10 PM »
You can check by using a jack and lifting a rear wheel off the ground. You should be able to spin the wheel around by hand and it should continue to spin, only coming to a stop slowly.
Taking the brakes / pads apart, cleaning and using some copper grease is fairly easy to do. Anything else might require special tools, I guess.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2024, 06:59:22 PM »
You have the  classic symptoms of a seized brake. Brakes get hot on use but  a brake that is seized on and doesn't release as it should get VERY hot. Even red hot or white hot. It's not directly related to remaining brake lining percentage although the seized brake may cause increased lining wear on that wheel. As others have said the affected brake caliper needs servicing.It could be as simple as cleaning to remove clogged brake dust or corrosion  which is stopping the bbrake releasing propery but might require a new caliper and depending on how bad it is it may require new pads and possibly new discs .Which normally means replacing both the left side and right side so braking remains equally balanced.And it doesn't make sense servicing just one brake. The other 3 probably also need attention soon .

« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 07:08:29 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Beanbag

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 1.5 sport + 2006 1.3 sport
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2024, 07:31:11 PM »
I had this, it was a stone in the brake. Reversed a few times , braking and it came out.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2024, 02:00:13 PM »
Many thanks & so grateful to all latest replies. Will have to get new discs & brakes as cost is minimal. from what I can see will be around £150-200 from my local mechanic, with whom have good relationship.
Get those done as soon as know when we don't really need car in next week or so!
I have watched a few youtube vids and am able to take wheel off and inspect closer, also doing the turning of wheel to see if brakes are releasing!
Obviously tell my mechanic the problems and noises we have had and will ask him to pay attention to the calipers & the pins/bolts that push the pads onto the disc - if that is understandable!
I would love to be able to take the calipers/brake pads apart to clean and greas, unfortunately, this is beyond my limitations!
As always, many many thanks for all advice to the points I raised. So grateful to all and that am member of such a great society!

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2024, 03:29:47 PM »
Well...have just done usual trip and as weather here is much cooler...didn't have single peep out of brakes! Merely to confuse matters 😁

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2024, 03:55:23 PM »
Well, just had the same prob so its not heat!

Took to local garage for inspection. The driver side rear brake is metal to metal. So new brake discs and pads for rear.

There is then the question of the caliper, to see if this is causing the binding. Have had a quick look at prices for brake discs and pads & seen caliper prices at around £45-50! Luckily only 1 caliper looks to need replacing (not both like I thought as you do with discs/pads).

Does anybody have any idea of total cost for parts and labour (labour is around £45.00) if caliper is needed and cost of just brake discs and pads repacement?

It has just started scoring the rear disc & as I need car for couple short journeys, less than couple of miles, mech said shouldn't be problem...just no long driving.

He has booked car in for Monday and will have sorted by close of play. Thank God and thank you so much all for your valued input. Also glad got a bloke like we have just round corner.

Hope for couple of replies with average costs :-)

Tags:

anything