Author Topic: Toyota Raided  (Read 14050 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Toyota Raided
« on: June 04, 2024, 04:32:53 PM »
www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1wwj1p2wdyo

Japan's transport ministry raided the headquarters of motor giant Toyota on Tuesday, as a scandal over faulty safety data escalated.

The world's largest carmaker has apologised for providing incorrect or manipulated data for safety certification tests.

The scandal has shaken the Japanese car industry, with rivals Honda, Mazda and Suzuki also admitting to submitting faulty data.

Toyota sold more than 11 million passenger vehicles in 2023.

It has said the findings do not affect the safety of vehicles already on the road.

The company has suspended the production of three car models - the Corolla Fielder, Corolla Axio and Yaris Cross.

It has also been accused of using modified vehicles during safety collision tests, for vehicles that are no longer in production.

The raids come a day after Toyota chairman Akio Toyoda apologised to customers and car enthusiasts.

Japanese carmakers Honda, Mazda and Suzuki are also due to be inspected by the authorities over the same issue.

Honda said it found wrongdoing on tests related to noise and engine power, but it has stressed that its vehicles are safe to drive.

Mazda has halted the shipments of some cars and said it will bear the cost to its suppliers.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Toyota Raided
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 04:53:23 PM »
Wow!

It's not an original thought and others have expressed similar views but you look at a whole range of scandals in both the commercial and public sectors and this type of thing seems almost endemic. We had the sub postmasters but even in the tragic case of the nurse Lucy Letby who was convicted of murdering babies in her care, the old cover up mentality was there with senior managers preventing concerned clinicians from alerting the police. We have also had the VW emissions cheating scandal.

I know there is always a resistance to red tape and regulation and, if it's unnecessary, I can understand that but in some areas we need a bit more - like water companies depositing raw sewage in our rivers, lakes and seas.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 01:17:05 PM »
Yes, saw it too, puts our brake simulator into some perspective.

Hanszl2001

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz MK3 Élégance 2018
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 02:33:30 PM »
From what I understand, for Honda Jazz/Fit this concerns incorrect information with specifications regarding tire noise, driving noise and non-insulation related noise.
In other words, the figures have been tampered with... Naughty Naughty  :D

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 03:30:38 PM »
How is noise related to the charge of 'safety reports'

There's more to this, another 'watch this space'

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024, 06:49:38 PM »
Read the article once again...
Why do I get the feeling that there are people here who like doom-mongering..?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 04:49:55 AM »
With respect though, on the reverse, there are others who will not accept any posted problems and all Honda models are 100% problem free

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2024, 07:38:34 AM »
It's a tradition, remember Mitsubishi fall from grace 30 yrs ago. In EU they call it the drive to reduce emissions or you won't be able to drive anywhere in the future...

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2024, 11:45:45 AM »
I am perhaps amongst those who have tried to defend Honda to some extent. No car is perfect , no car manufacturer is perfect.  Any manufacturing fault ,or testing 'cheat' that is revealed  has to be put in context . For instance the Jazz brake fault is disappointing,  but on any complex machine  such things occasionally happen.  Its Hondas customer care attitude to resolving the problem  that is really damaging their reputation .

I suspect all manufacturers are hiding secret failures.  Some are luckier than others  in keeping it quiet.  When The VW emission testing 'cheat' was revealed  it wasnt long before other manufacturers were found to have done similar things.   I dont recall  those who escaped any scandal  went out of their way  to embarrass their  rivals by bragging that they were squeaky clean.  They probably realised a whistle blower might later  reveal  their own  development engineers or junior managers  met the demands placed upon them by senior management and legislation  by cheating  on an inconvenient test result. Not company policy,  but stuff happens when staff have targets to meet.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 11:48:00 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2024, 02:46:34 PM »

I suppose the point of a forum like this is to raise concerns. We could all talk happily about how wonderful the Jazz is, and in a lot of respects it is. I have found the drive, ease, smoothness and economy truly wonderful.. but it would be a dull forum if we all discussed only the good bits.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2024, 12:13:49 PM »
Exactly! The forums debate peoples interests and concerns with the jazz . To be valued in my opinion which is why im happy to read everything posted , if i agree or not i’m still happy people are posting.

Spodric

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR I-MMD CVT 2020
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2024, 04:03:47 PM »
Recent experience with my Mk4 Jazz brake failure and Honda UK's rejection of my loss claim is what has knocked Honda off the high pedestal, not what I might read in the media about falsifying reports, although they are a red flag.

Taken together they create an impression of a corporate cavalier attitude that prioritises profits above customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Earlier today, Honda had the cheek to send me an unsolicited email advertising their upcoming EV range.  >:(

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2024, 03:36:14 AM »
I've had a few of those

All pushing these SUV types that won't fit in my garage, or standard parking spaces with room to get out

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2024, 12:01:52 PM »

I suppose the point of a forum like this is to raise concerns. We could all talk happily about how wonderful the Jazz is, and in a lot of respects it is. I have found the drive, ease, smoothness and economy truly wonderful.. but it would be a dull forum if we all discussed only the good bits.

Without this excellent forum, I would still be oblivious, to the grinding noise, prior to its probable demise, of my near side door mirror. I may have thought that’s normal. So, off I trundle to my local dealership, who agree it needs changing. A fortnight later, it’s sorted.

All we need now, is a stimulator for the simulator!

Great car.

Tags:

anything