Author Topic: Overheating lamp comes on on motorway driving or in heavy stop/start traffic  (Read 9188 times)

Ted

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz Mk 2
Hello,

The red overheating lamp on my 2013 Jazz has come on a few times in the past year but the garage has no idea what the problem could be.  Most recently (last Sunday) I was driving in light traffic along the M25 anticlockwise towards Gatwick Airport when it suddenly came on at the M23 junction. I'd not been going much over 2000 rpm and 65 mph. Anyway I pulled over in one of those emergency laybys and let the engine cool down, although there was no steam coming out, the coolant was only halfway up the overflow tank, and the engine didn't seem overly hot. After about 10 minutes, I started the engine and the lamp had cleared. Thereafter, I hobbled along at 50mph to the next junction before returning home via A roads. On the way back, I noticed the lamp came on again when going uphill but would clear when coming back down.

The other two times it came on were briefly when driving on the North Circular in February, and before that in November under very similar circumstances to Sunday when I was on the M23 (again) heading towards Brighton.   

I explained all this to my local garage but they told me they'd never seen it happen with a Honda Jazz, and that I'd need to bring the car in with the lamp on if they were to catch it in the diagnostics. They did check the coolant level and the dipstick but found no issues. I called the local Honda service department and was told me pretty much the same thing (also wanted to charge me £150 for the diagnostics test!)  Problem is that I only go for long drives, where the lamp is likely to come on, on weekends when the garages are shut.  I don't want to risk it.

[TL;DR] 2013 Jazz mk3. Overheating lamp sometimes comes on under pretty normal driving conditions. Local garage and Honda Service can't tell me why.

Any advice on what the problem could be, and how I might go about getting it fixed? Wife was not best pleased when it ran aground last weekend! >:(

Thanks in advance.

Ted

EDIT: Apparently this is a Mk2, not a Mk3. I get confused. Sorry. I'll post this in that forum.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 05:02:50 PM by Ted »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Firstly, what car are you talking about? The Mk3 was introduced in 2015, so if yours is definitely a 2013 car it's a Mk2 and you might get more knowledgeable responses over in that part of the forum.

Secondly, doesn't this kind of issue leave a fault code behind in the computer? You need to get someone to use an OBD reader to find that code, which should help you work out what's happening. Surprised that the garages you've spoken to haven't done that.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
This is the jazz 2015-2020 room.
If coolant level is ok, check:
1) Thermostat, it could open only partially liquid flux towards the radiator
2) Water pump, maybe blades are worn
3) Radiator, could be clogged by sludge, especially if liquid is very old and liquid level has been restored with tap water or other no-oem liquids.
4) Cooling fan, check the proper fuse and the fan motor, especially if you see it not working when the red light is on.

Ted

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Firstly, what car are you talking about? The Mk3 was introduced in 2015, so if yours is definitely a 2013 car it's a Mk2 and you might get more knowledgeable responses over in that part of the forum.

Secondly, doesn't this kind of issue leave a fault code behind in the computer? You need to get someone to use an OBD reader to find that code, which should help you work out what's happening. Surprised that the garages you've spoken to haven't done that.

You're right, it's the Mk2.  My apologies - will repost on that forum.

Ted

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
This is the jazz 2015-2020 room.
If coolant level is ok, check:
1) Thermostat, it could open only partially liquid flux towards the radiator
2) Water pump, maybe blades are worn
3) Radiator, could be clogged by sludge, especially if liquid is very old and liquid level has been restored with tap water or other no-oem liquids.
4) Cooling fan, check the proper fuse and the fan motor, especially if you see it not working when the red light is on.

I realised it's actually a Mk2 but thanks, that is all good to know. 

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
If it does it again turn the engine off and see if the radiator is hot, I had it on a audi that the coolant temp sensor was faulty and wasn't sending coolant around the radiator so it was getting hot although nothing was wrong with the water level / circulation etc.

Tags:

anything