Author Topic: key battery  (Read 4617 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
key battery
« on: May 23, 2024, 10:32:03 AM »
Finally after 2.5 years of neglect my key battery needed replacing.   Sods law  the large orange warning light first came on while my wife was using the car, which caused her some anxiety  .

I changed the battery myself.  Removing the emergency key was easy,  But the point of this  post is  that the next stage was more difficult than I expected.    You have to prise the two halves  of the key apart by twisting a coin in a gap between two blocks  of plastic.   This needed quite a bit of force to be used, and I began to question if I was doing it right and feared I might  break something.    Eventually I succeeded.  Once open the battery is easy to replace and the key is easy to snap shut again. 

The manual recommends wrapping the coin in cloth to protect the key. I didnt bother with this, and there was no damage.  I dont think wrapping it  would have made it any easier.      It also warns to be careful the buttons dont drop out  :o    From what I could see this didnt seem likely.

I carried a spare  Cr2032 battery in the car  with the idea that I could change the battery if necessary while away from home.  But I dont think I would have had the confidence to use that much force  on the key while away from the security of being at home with a spare key to hand.  And my wife certainly wouldnt. But having done it once it will no longer be a problem.

I'd recommend  not leaving it to the last minute, although I suppose you could get the dealer to do it.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 10:56:34 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Spodric

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR I-MMD CVT 2020
Re: key battery
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 02:19:02 PM »
I have had to replace the battery twice. I also carry a spare 2032 in the car.

A flat screwdriver is easier to split the casing with than a coin.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 02:57:37 PM »
Did mine last year

Don't recall any issues but it was indoors with all the tools round me
Let's be careful out there !

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 10:35:26 PM »
The key placed in the slot and twisted will split the casing easily.  Seems to work well, and no anxieties  :)

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024, 08:02:53 AM »
mine was so difficult to crack open I thought I was doing it wrong.

ditched the coin and used a large flathead screwdriver , job done.

with anything plastic it is always a bit scary knowing how much force to use , fine line between getting it apart and destroying it !

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024, 01:24:25 PM »
Agree, I tested it with the key along the length of the slot and it works well. ! keep a battery in the glove box just to be sure.

Tags:

anything