Author Topic: RPMs revving by itself and misfire  (Read 1647 times)

amuntah

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2005 1.3 IDSI GD1 Sport
RPMs revving by itself and misfire
« on: August 18, 2023, 06:50:46 PM »
Hi there! I am having issues with my Honda Jazz Mk1, 2005 GD1 Petrol. The car is revving 1-2k rpms whilst idle and also whilst it's driving. The car is also having a misfire (told by the mechanic). I did take it to the mechanic who said to take the car and they did not do the repairs.

I am also having the following symptoms: RPMs fluctuating, strong fumes that smells like bad petrol or alike, car is misfire (shuts off whilst driving, mostly uphill).

I have ran an OBD2 and got the following codes: P0113 (IAT Sensor Circuit High), P0444 (EVAP Purge Control valve circuit open). I am really out of ideas as to what the problem is. Could anyone please guide me? I would think the EVAP or IAT needs replacing but would these cause the symptoms? :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 06:52:33 PM by amuntah »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: RPMs revving by itself and misfire
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 11:40:19 AM »
...I have ran an OBD2 and got the following codes: P0113 (IAT Sensor Circuit High), P0444 (EVAP Purge Control valve circuit open). I am really out of ideas as to what the problem is. .....
You're not out of ideas, you have two big clues there in the OBD check result.

I don't know details of your model, I can only suggest possible scenarios from general principles.
If the IAT (inlet air temperature) sensor reading is telling the ECU that the temperature is very low but in reality it isn't, it will probably over-fuel the engine which might well get to the point of misfires/jerkiness and exhaust smelling of fuel. This should flag all sorts of check-engine MIL warnings.
Depending on how the purge valve is made to default with an open circuit, it is quite possible that it is flowing a relatively high purge rate (in order to minimise hydrocarbon emissions), in which case it is quite possible for the high flow rate to result in a high idle speed if it exceeds what the idle speed control system can correct for (high purge rates are normally only when driving and under load, not usually at idle).

You need to sort out both of these issues, first tackle the IAT then when that is sorted look at the purge. The most common faults are with connectors (corrosion etc), then damaged wiring, then faulty components.
Once you sort these two things it may well show up other faults, but do the obvious ones first.

I would imagine you can get pattern or generic type IAT sensors, they are simply a thermistor in most cases and not particularly expensive, however check the wiring and connectors carefully first. You can usually check the thermistor resistance values against temperature easily with a multimeter and some hot/cold water or even just holding it in your hand.
 I have no idea where the purge valve is on your car, someone else might help or go to youtube, someone somewhere will have tackled these things. The other thing to check carefully with the purge system is for any cracking or splits etc in hoses which can result in air leaks, this can upset the feedback control for the purge system if it doesn't respond the way it is supposed to.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 11:44:44 AM by embee »

amuntah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 01:45:51 PM »
...I have ran an OBD2 and got the following codes: P0113 (IAT Sensor Circuit High), P0444 (EVAP Purge Control valve circuit open). I am really out of ideas as to what the problem is. .....
You're not out of ideas, you have two big clues there in the OBD check result.

I don't know details of your model, I can only suggest possible scenarios from general principles.
If the IAT (inlet air temperature) sensor reading is telling the ECU that the temperature is very low but in reality it isn't, it will probably over-fuel the engine which might well get to the point of misfires/jerkiness and exhaust smelling of fuel. This should flag all sorts of check-engine MIL warnings.
Depending on how the purge valve is made to default with an open circuit, it is quite possible that it is flowing a relatively high purge rate (in order to minimise hydrocarbon emissions), in which case it is quite possible for the high flow rate to result in a high idle speed if it exceeds what the idle speed control system can correct for (high purge rates are normally only when driving and under load, not usually at idle).

You need to sort out both of these issues, first tackle the IAT then when that is sorted look at the purge. The most common faults are with connectors (corrosion etc), then damaged wiring, then faulty components.
Once you sort these two things it may well show up other faults, but do the obvious ones first.

I would imagine you can get pattern or generic type IAT sensors, they are simply a thermistor in most cases and not particularly expensive, however check the wiring and connectors carefully first. You can usually check the thermistor resistance values against temperature easily with a multimeter and some hot/cold water or even just holding it in your hand.
 I have no idea where the purge valve is on your car, someone else might help or go to youtube, someone somewhere will have tackled these things. The other thing to check carefully with the purge system is for any cracking or splits etc in hoses which can result in air leaks, this can upset the feedback control for the purge system if it doesn't respond the way it is supposed to.
Hi embee thanks so much for the response. I am having this high RPM both at idle and when driving. Could this mean it's not the purge and instead something else? I will take a look at the connectors and wiring to see if anything is out of place and then update the thread.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 02:03:23 PM by amuntah »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 02:59:27 PM »
Embee posts are brilliant. Lots of help there.

Something you could try for free. If your car does lots of short runs, pootles around town etc, it'll be in need of an 'Italian Tune Up'. EG take the car for a decent run of 10+ miles with some decent fuel in and ensure that once warm it gets lots of revs, eg 4000 area. A good clear out if it doesn't get one will help.

amuntah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 03:27:15 PM »
Embee posts are brilliant. Lots of help there.

Something you could try for free. If your car does lots of short runs, pootles around town etc, it'll be in need of an 'Italian Tune Up'. EG take the car for a decent run of 10+ miles with some decent fuel in and ensure that once warm it gets lots of revs, eg 4000 area. A good clear out if it doesn't get one will help.
Thanks :) but I have already tried this and the rpms are constantly going up whilst driving. I don't think it helped much.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 04:03:39 PM »
I'm going to link you to this thread as it may be worth a look since you are investigating the wiring. Whilst the problem we had was different, it seems like it could be related and possibly due to the same fault. Have a read and see what you think. There are links in the thread to other similar issues and to helpful photos. The cheap and cheerful fix here is still going strong nearly 7 years on from the original problem.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8695

Wishing you luck in finding your issue and hope this helps.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2023, 04:58:36 PM »
Extremely useful discussion and information in that link, thanks. Exactly the sort of thing these forums are so invaluable for.

Tags: