Author Topic: Stolen Catalytic Converter  (Read 1736 times)

Mike13

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: HONDA JAZZ HATCHBACK (GD, GE3, GE2) 1.2 I-DSI (GD5, GE2)
Stolen Catalytic Converter
« on: June 26, 2023, 04:59:23 PM »
Hi everyone. Just in dire need of help/opinion in regards to whether or not any of you had there catalytic converter stolen and opted by simply deleting it? Don't know what the correct term is, but basically creating a direct bypass and not installing a new one. Yes I know that fuel consumption might go up a bit, the engine light will probably stay on and of course fumes and the level of gases will also go up. But other than that, is there anyone with personal experience in having their car without the catalytic converter? Appreciate the help 🙏👍

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Stolen Catalytic Converter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 09:10:36 PM »
It won't pass an MOT so you'll have to put a cat on it at some point,  irrespective of the technical implications or legality

.... but i know that doesn't answer your question.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 09:34:30 PM »
Welcome. I don't know what the rules are in Portugal. Probably the best place to ask your question would be the US site as the guys there are into major mods. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/
Here in the UK, it is illegal to fit a shunt, so I doubt anyone has done it unless they race a Jazz.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 11:19:35 PM »
.. I don't know what the rules are in Portugal. ......
Apologies, I'd read the post on my phone and the country of the OP didn't show up. Carry on .........

Mike13

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 01:32:54 AM »
.. I don't know what the rules are in Portugal. ......
Apologies, I'd read the post on my phone and the country of the OP didn't show up. Carry on .........
no worries 👍but yes, the MOT situation is applicable as well in Portugal, however an extra 20€ left on the gearshift as a "thank you for not failing my car" does the trick! Hate to do it, but unfortunately given the rise of stolen catalytic converter's in Portugal, I am not going to risk paying over 500€ and find out that 2 days go by and again someone stole the new one. Thanks for your input 😉👍

Mike13

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 01:34:41 AM »
Welcome. I don't know what the rules are in Portugal. Probably the best place to ask your question would be the US site as the guys there are into major mods. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/
Here in the UK, it is illegal to fit a shunt, so I doubt anyone has done it unless they race a Jazz.
Thank you! I am going to have a look at the site you just mentioned. Like I just replied to embee, same situation applies in Portugal in regards to MOT. Pay them off and get it over with. Thanks bud appreciate your help 🙂
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 01:57:12 AM by Mike13 »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 07:34:49 AM »
There are performance /customising  enthusiasts  who do Decat their cars  in the UK. They get round the MOT problem by converting it back to road legal just long enough  to pass the test for another year before returning it to how they like it.   By refitting the Cat converter, maybe changing outrageously illegal Hi intensity lights to standard ones,  fitting a set of legal number plates etc.   and of course some are willing to risk driving with no current mot, insurance, road tax etc.

Having a current MOT  may reduce their chances of getting 'caught'  but the car is still illegal, and in the UK at least it will also void their insurance.  No Insurer would  allow a modification that makes the car illegal. 
So dont try this at home folks.  ;D

Mike13 if you are determined to investigate further  try googling 'decat'  for more information.

The problem with testing is often the exhaust  emissions.  Whilst it may be common in Portugal  to offer a tip /bribe to overlook minor things  (unlike in the uk  where  the system is open to abuse by garages charging for unnecessary repairs)  some countries ,such as Bulgaria now minimise corruption /cheating by having the rolling road Brake efficiency tests   and emission tests carried out  with a live  on- line connection to the government authority who also record the result. With a close up shot of the Chassis number and the whole procedure monitored on cctv to ensure the correct car is used for the tests.   
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 08:33:11 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Mike13

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 01:45:08 PM »
There are performance /customising  enthusiasts  who do Decat their cars  in the UK. They get round the MOT problem by converting it back to road legal just long enough  to pass the test for another year before returning it to how they like it.   By refitting the Cat converter, maybe changing outrageously illegal Hi intensity lights to standard ones,  fitting a set of legal number plates etc.   and of course some are willing to risk driving with no current mot, insurance, road tax etc.

Having a current MOT  may reduce their chances of getting 'caught'  but the car is still illegal, and in the UK at least it will also void their insurance.  No Insurer would  allow a modification that makes the car illegal. 
So dont try this at home folks.  ;D

Mike13 if you are determined to investigate further  try googling 'decat'  for more information.

The problem with testing is often the exhaust  emissions.  Whilst it may be common in Portugal  to offer a tip /bribe to overlook minor things  (unlike in the uk  where  the system is open to abuse by garages charging for unnecessary repairs)  some countries ,such as Bulgaria now minimise corruption /cheating by having the rolling road Brake efficiency tests   and emission tests carried out  with a live  on- line connection to the government authority who also record the result. With a close up shot of the Chassis number and the whole procedure monitored on cctv to ensure the correct car is used for the tests.
Well, just thank God we aren't in Bulgaria!!!

I've done my research and a hefty conversation is about to happen in the next couple of hours with my mechanic. He has no interest whatsoever in a decat, but quite honestly it's not up to him, my pockets aren't his pockets! Thanks for the heads-up  ;)

scratchabout

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Mk1 1.4 CVT
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 06:33:59 PM »
You might be interested in this these people catloc.co.uk

Have fitted to my Jazz. Simple to put on and difficult to take off so 'dissuades' the opportunist.

I cannot get the hyper link to go in but you may be able to copy and paste this into your browser

https://catloc.co.uk/product/honda-jazz-20022008-gen1/

scratchabout

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Mk1 1.4 CVT
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 06:35:11 PM »
Oh. Looks like the hyperlink went in. Magic...

Tags: