Author Topic: Satnav update  (Read 3609 times)

Saucebox

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 jazz EX
Satnav update
« on: February 10, 2023, 02:42:51 PM »
Being a technophobe I don't have a computer and in these circumstances wonder if a Honda  dealer (at a cost presumably) would update the software yes/no? If negative, what do I do?  I don't use, nor would I know how to, a phone connection so therefore I rely entirely on the s/n. The device often directs a left turn, for instance, only for me to find that a roadside sign forbids. Annoying to say the least. The car is a '20 plate so I don't know if it's due for such an update and that's possibly why I'm experiencing the problem. More than once it's caused a potentially dangerous situation, in short it's by no means always reliable... Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who could personally advise me in the matter.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Satnav update
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 02:53:14 PM »
If you have a MK4 and don't have the wherewithal I'd consider Android Auto Google Maps.

The main issue being the built in unit has no traffic.

You will require a Smartphone though.
Let's be careful out there !

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Civic e:hev elegance 2024
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 03:04:31 PM »
Your dealer will update all software at each servicing. Satnav will be updated as well, at least for the first 5 years (car age, not length of ownership). Only once a year an update of roads etc is released, so the satnav is always a bit behind when circumstances change.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 05:03:08 PM »
In my experience  if the satnav ,,any make of satnav , is telling you to take a road that signs forbid its often driver error, not a problem with updates.   Highways authorities do sometimes change one way system priorities etc   but often its because you are actually trying to turn into the wrong road.  I sometimes need to double check the route by glancing at the satnav map and countdown distances, only to find its not that junction , but the next one or previous one.
Ultimately the driver needs to remain alert  and in charge of the reality of road priorities (and traffic and crossing pedestrians etc)  not slavishly follow what the satnav tells them to do.   In particular I find satnavs sometimes imply you go straight ahead at a junction, without mentioning you need to give way. 
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 02:02:24 PM »
Your dealer will update all software at each servicing. Satnav will be updated as well, at least for the first 5 years (car age, not length of ownership). Only once a year an update of roads etc is released, so the satnav is always a bit behind when circumstances change.

In the UK this doesn't seem to happen although I agree it should. With my Mk3 Jazz the dealer wanted £140 to update the sat nav even though the car was still under warranty. They advised me to "use your phone!!!"

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 02:46:35 PM »
Not only in the Netherlands, also here in Poland, the dealer checks all software and the map version and does any updates during maintenance.
Without charging £140 (how much? one hundred and forty pounds? :o) extra for it.
Find a dealer that is more customer friendly (perhaps to be found on that phone ;D), because this one is a very bad joke!
If nothing goes right, go left!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 05:10:42 PM »
I'm going to look into this Jazzik. Thanks for the information.

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 07:39:34 PM »
Not only in the Netherlands, also here in Poland, the dealer checks all software and the map version and does any updates during maintenance.
Without charging £140 (how much? one hundred and forty pounds? :o) extra for it.
Find a dealer that is more customer friendly (perhaps to be found on that phone ;D), because this one is a very bad joke!
In the UK this doesn't seem to happen although I agree it should. With my Mk3 Jazz the dealer wanted £140 to update the sat nav even though the car was still under warranty. They advised me to "use your phone!!!"

Had my Sat Nav updated for free during my last service. Was told by the Honda dealer that it is free if you have the service plan. I had asked for the update, don't know if they would update it without you requesting it.
[/size][/size][/size]

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 11:14:14 PM »

Had my Sat Nav updated for free during my last service. Was told by the Honda dealer that it is free if you have the service plan. I had asked for the update, don't know if they would update it without you requesting it.

The logic completely escapes me here.
You opt for a service plan, which saves you money (and therefore costs the dealer money...). The dealer does the updates for free.
I do not opt for a service plan, just pay for service every year or every 20000 km./12500 mi.
That will cost me more and puts more money in the bank account for the dealer.
Now I don't get free updates, but I have to pay around £140 per update?
Here all new Honda vehicles with SatNav come with 5 years of free map updates. Serviceplan or no serviceplan And not in the UK?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 04:34:20 AM »
Some dealers may update the mapping but I guess only on request as mentioned.

Some owners may not want it updating, you never know.

I only updated mine because I can. I never use the built in as it has no traffic. It's just there as a backup but in the last month or so Android Auto and Google Maps has kicked in within 20 secs without fail. Before Xmas it was 50/50 whether it connected quickly or could take up to 2 minutes.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 10:29:28 AM »
[quote author=jamjar link=topic=15535.msg130097#msg130097 date=1676230

You opt for a service plan, which saves you money (and therefore costs the dealer money...). The dealer does the updates for free.
I do not opt for a service plan, just pay for service every year or every 20000 km./12500 mi.
That will cost me more and puts more money in the bank account for the dealer.
Now I don't get free updates, but I have to pay around £140 per update?
Here all new Honda vehicles with SatNav come with 5 years of free map updates. Serviceplan or no serviceplan And not in the UK?

Surely, Honda pay the dealer for a service done under the service plan?

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 10:39:59 AM »
...The map updates being free and maps being updated for free are not the same thing  ;D

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 10:43:52 AM »
I have the 5 year service plan and when the car was serviced last June, the satnav was not updated. I did not specifically ask for this so I guess it is a question of don’t ask don’t get.
I have subsequently successfully updated it myself (thanks to guidance on this forum).
However as many seem to recommend, I find the maps on iPhone far better in almost every way so tend to use that.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 10:52:16 AM »
When mine was serviced last year I asked about them updating the maps.  They said they could do it but would not be covered by the service plan, so I would have to pay.  I ended up doing it myself.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 10:57:09 AM »
...The map updates being free and maps being updated for free are not the same thing  ;D

Fortunately, our dealer thinks otherwise. It seems that the word 'service' has a different meaning on the other side of the Channel than it has here...

Tags: