Author Topic: Thinking about the next car - sat nav options  (Read 2609 times)

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
Thinking about the next car - sat nav options
« on: January 19, 2023, 10:13:30 AM »
Just at that thinking stage. I’d prefer the  SR is it possible to add a sat nav or camera? Or is it simpler to go for them installed with the disadvantage of the larger wheels?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Thinking about the next car - sat nav options
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 10:44:06 AM »
I fitted/hardwired a dash cam and secondary SatNav, there's a post of mine here somewhere with images.
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 11:07:54 AM »
...If you mean reversing camera then I thought that was an SR option?

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 02:07:28 PM »
Why not just use Google maps for your sat nav off your phone. Works very well and it has live updates for congestion and suggests alternate routes.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 02:32:30 PM »
I do use Google Maps but I find the Garmin PND very useful as it shows traffic for the whole route and my speed cameras :

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=15451.msg128964#msg128964

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 03:12:02 PM »
I wouldnt upgrade just to get the  built in satnav.  The garmin one is not great,doesnt have traffic updates  (in UK)  and many with it installed still prefer to use google via their phone   or other alternatives.

Reversing camera  is definitely worth having.   But as the SR  has a 9" touch screen  it might be compatible with some universal  aftermarket reversing cameras.  But I dont know for sure.  And the camera might be quite obtrusive and a faff to fit.  . ( I assume you dont mean  dash cam. None have that . )

The EX does have some other perks apart from from some extra leather, bling , fog lights etc.
Blind spot and  cross traffic monitoring is nice to have  .But you can manage without it like you have always done in the past.      Heated steering wheel is surprisingly pleasant to have , but again I could live without it if necessary.   I quite like the privacy glass and it looks good on some car colours, but not a deal maker or breaker.   The whole package  may be worth the extra cost..  But yes the 16" wheels may cost you more in tyres in the long term. For example Michelin crossclimate 2 are £99 in 15" but £155 in 16" (blackcircles site)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 03:19:08 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 05:21:47 PM »
Thank you everyone.  Very useful, especially the additional tyre cost. We did have one Jazz with the panoramic roof and larger tyres and it was a rougher ride, the tyres were hard to get hold of and expensive so do prefer the smaller ones.  Not worried about heated steering wheels and seats etc.  I don't really have a data plan for my phone.  Generally just using PAYG so not constantly connected.  We have Garmin on the current car and we're used to it.  I just wonder what the specs are for the new categories of Jazz just announced anyone got any ideas?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 05:25:05 PM »
Just be aware the MK4 Jazz with built in Garmin has no traffic unlike previous versions.

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 03:52:01 PM »
I paid for the camera on my SR...it was the only thing extra that the EX has that I cared about

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 04:12:23 PM »
Thank you everyone.  Very useful, especially the additional tyre cost. We did have one Jazz with the panoramic roof and larger tyres and it was a rougher ride, the tyres were hard to get hold of and expensive so do prefer the smaller ones.  Not worried about heated steering wheels and seats etc.  I don't really have a data plan for my phone.  Generally just using PAYG so not constantly connected.  We have Garmin on the current car and we're used to it.  I just wonder what the specs are for the new categories of Jazz just announced anyone got any ideas?
The Toyos I had on the same car as you had are only £65 each. Didn't find them particularly hard to get hold of either.
How cheap were you expecting to go?  :o

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 10:01:59 AM »

The Toyos I had on the same car as you had are only £65 each. Didn't find them particularly hard to get hold of either.
How cheap were you expecting to go?  :o
I highlighted the price differential, and maybe the Crossclimate2 is the most extreme example. :-[  I am a fan of all seasons , and personally I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to fit all seasons rather than new summer tyres. 

There is more choice in summer tyres. The Toyo is  a decent tyre and even in 16" is cheaper than the top end  15" all seasons.   But the 15" Toyo is still  £56 a set cheaper than 16" Toyo on the Backcircles site.   

If you actually want the bells and whistles of an EX  or the style of the 16" wheels ,replacment tyre cost is not a deal breaker.  But if Like Hebden  you are doubtful  , then tyre choices and price could tip the balance.

Its probably best to do more research on other tyre sites before deciding .

If  "Hebden" lives  near Hebden Bridge  West Yorkshire I'd definitely recommend changing to all seasons asap.  ;)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 11:49:53 AM »
Daft question alert:

On phone sat nav apps, am I right in thinking you need to use a USB data cable for Android Auto (I have some) and will Google maps then appear on the infotainment screen?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2023, 02:48:37 PM »
If you enable wireless Android Auto you don't need any phone to car cable.

By default, no idea why, wireless AA is disabled but is easily enabled, there's a thread here somewhere ......

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2023, 04:23:14 PM »
Bear in mind rule 149 Highway code. Dont hold the phone in your hand while driving.For instance to  fiddle with its android auto connection or wire.       A holder or mat or built in satnav are ok as they are regarded as handsfree.  I would think  a built in touch screen  thats mirroring and controlling the sat nav etc from the phone is also ok.

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 05:26:03 PM »
When I lived on the tops I drove an AWD Subaru Impreza and it was needed, now in the bottom of the valley, with a change of lifestyle, not so often!
Interested in the camera installation - was it as neat as the factory installation?

Still using low energy Michelins on the current car.  Just hated the previous car's large Dunlops that only lasted a short time. Its not the cost of tyres as much as a harsher ride that's of concern.  Less jolting and jarring preferred.

Its difficult really, don't want all the fancy stuff like heated seats or privacy glass and big wheels or extra huge bumpers.  Well, time will tell.  I wonder what the spec for the uplifted models is? Anyone know more?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 05:31:08 PM by Hebden »

Tags:

anything