Author Topic: Heavy frost on door handles and mirrors.  (Read 1176 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Heavy frost on door handles and mirrors.
« on: January 18, 2023, 12:17:34 PM »
Had a heavy frost, with thick  hoar frost and ice on the door handles and mirrors.  I was just thinking I may need to use  the key 'unlock'  button when the car unlocked itself.  I hadnt touched the  door handle,  and I dont think I touched the unlock button.  But I may have inadvertantly done so as I was fumbling in gloves.   Maybe the thick coating of frost on the door handle activated a touch sensor.

But only the drivers door mirror unfolded.  I thought the frost must be jamming the other one.  I gave it a couple of manual tugs to try and help it but nothing  doing . >:(      But as soon as I initiated the ignition start up  the mirror opened immediately  with no apparent difficulty. Maybe my tugging had unjammed it but there had been no noticeable movement.    Incidentally I was amazed how quickly the mirror glasses  defrosted. It only took a few seconds.

Anyone had something similar. Any thoughts? 

Thinking further  the mirror problem may be the small 12v battery  was  under 12v  and the start up may have boosted this to 14Volts, but it seemed too quick for that. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 12:29:55 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Heavy frost on door handles and mirrors.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 12:31:33 PM »
Sorry, can't help, mine is garaged, and with these conditions, that's where it's staying.

Let's be careful out there !

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Civic e:hev elegance 2024
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 12:32:22 PM »
It is very easy to disable the auto fold mirror option (ignition on, lever in P, select options - doors and mirrors - auto fold option). I did so after the first real frost and I will enable it again in February or so. This is also easier for my window cover, which also covers mirrors and front side windows. Very handy option!

The door handles worked normally, even after being frosted or filled with snow.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 03:12:04 PM »
Had a heavy frost, with thick  hoar frost and ice on the door handles and mirrors.  I was just thinking I may need to use  the key 'unlock'  button when the car unlocked itself.  I hadnt touched the  door handle,  and I dont think I touched the unlock button.  But I may have inadvertantly done so as I was fumbling in gloves.   Maybe the thick coating of frost on the door handle activated a touch sensor.

But only the drivers door mirror unfolded.  I thought the frost must be jamming the other one.  I gave it a couple of manual tugs to try and help it but nothing  doing . >:(      But as soon as I initiated the ignition start up  the mirror opened immediately  with no apparent difficulty. Maybe my tugging had unjammed it but there had been no noticeable movement.    Incidentally I was amazed how quickly the mirror glasses  defrosted. It only took a few seconds.

Anyone had something similar. Any thoughts? 

Thinking further  the mirror problem may be the small 12v battery  was  under 12v  and the start up may have boosted this to 14Volts, but it seemed too quick for that.
It might be the 12v battery, I checked mine a couple of days ago as I haven't used the car much recently and it was only showing 11.6v so I put it on the trickle charger for a few hours and was then up to 12.8v ie full

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 10:22:30 AM »
Its beginning to look a lot like the mirror motors are marginal. Can normally cope, but any resistance such as  ice they might need  the full 14.4 volts  you get when the engine is running. It was exceptional conditions though.  The car doors were partially stuck shut with frost, and a padlock on the shed was frozen solid.   

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 10:33:11 AM »
I wonder if the mirror motors have a clutch in them to avoid overloading the motor when for any reason the mirror is not free to move.
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 11:55:06 AM »
I'm not sure.  When the mirror didnt open I immediately went and  tried to assist it manually. Had it still been under power but restrained by a clutch I think this  would have got it moving.  More likely an electrical cut out tripping power if it detects a problem . Probably better than it straining away for too long  if its not going to move.    When I then powered up and maybe now got 14.4 volts, it might make a second attempt that worked this time.      But had it not worked  would it trip again and  would it try again later when maybe the mirror heating has freed things up.  ?   

The car is frosty again today, but not nearly as bad.  I could go out in the cold and experiment.  Nah   :P

Thingy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 12:16:38 PM »
When my car was covered in snow a few weeks ago, after clearing the snow and opening the door the nearside mirror failed to open. I went and gave it a push and it opened.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 12:36:52 PM »
...My nearside mirror started to randomly not unfold last year, nothing related to cold weather.
I doubt battery problems would cause it as I commute daily around 20 miles plus other journeys.

My MK2 did the same :o although that was after 9 years...

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 12:56:44 PM »
My MK2 did the same :o although that was after 9 years...

So it seems that your Mk4 is growing up to maturity much faster than your Mk2... ;)
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 12:56:55 PM »
Quite a few make the mistake of using normal WD40. That quickly evaporates, leaves no lubricant, and can make it worse.

I've occasionally used silicone lubricant spray, similar to this, without issue :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD40D-N-A-WD-40-Silicone/dp/B006UCNI38/ref=asc_df_B006UCNI38/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226532832899&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8266696232911217250&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046086&hvtargid=pla-386862338069&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 01:37:59 PM »
Maybe summer issues due to dust etc in the gearing and its lubricant causing the motor to be under stress and possibly triggering the cut out. IIRC some have reported jerky movement  .   Winter might be damp air freezing  on the gears,or freezing the lubricant.  The writing may be on the wall for me to get issues next  summer as well   ???

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 01:57:42 PM »
...I usually lock and unlock via the door handle or boot. Its not often I use the fob buttons.
It may not work 3 times in one week or even day then work faultlessly for 3 weeks. No pattern...

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 02:33:45 PM »
Ditto, door and tailgate as well.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2023, 03:21:21 PM »
When my car was covered in snow a few weeks ago, after clearing the snow and opening the door the nearside mirror failed to open. I went and gave it a push and it opened.
Probably best not to fold mirrors overnight in freezing or snowy conditions.

Tags: