Author Topic: Need an uphill driving lesson  (Read 1680 times)

Terryp

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz EX crosstar
Need an uphill driving lesson
« on: January 18, 2023, 07:53:23 AM »
Hi all
For a manual driver of 40 years I feel a bit stupid here asking but what is the best way to drive a xstar up hill especially if the traffic is slow.

My manual gears are easy with clutch control but how simple is it to stop and go with a sort of automatic set up.

Thanks for the potential driving lesson.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Civic e:hev elegance 2024
Re: Need an uphill driving lesson
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 07:56:10 AM »
It is very simple: just put your foot on the throttle and the brakes will automatically release and you go forward. While stopped keep your foot on the brake pedal or use brake hold.
Just as on the flat!

Terryp

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 08:06:24 AM »
Thanks Marco, the bit I found odd is that when I did a test drive (all on the flat) the cross star didn’t seem to pull forwards when I lifted off the brake as has been the case with the few autos I’ve had a go on. It’s the rolling back that bothers my small brain.

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 09:24:58 AM »
Thanks Marco, the bit I found odd is that when I did a test drive (all on the flat) the cross star didn’t seem to pull forwards when I lifted off the brake as has been the case with the few autos I’ve had a go on. It’s the rolling back that bothers my small brain.

That would probably be because Break Hold was engaged.  You need to lightly touch the accelerator to release this and creep/ move forward.  It's brilliant!

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 09:30:39 AM »
I personally wouldn't use Brake Hold if I was stopped on a steep hill, I always use the parking brake in that situation. The manual says Brake Hold isn't guaranteed to work on an incline.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 09:39:43 AM »
Same here, I always lift the lever, then to go just press the go pedal.
Let's be careful out there !

SebastianTR

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 4.0L/100km
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 10:33:55 AM »
If I was going up I always use brake hold still using brake pedal (old habit) but brake hold is great feature.

But when you going down brake hold is a little bit annoying in heavy traffic. You want move just a inch but you can't move because it's doing it's job
Cheers!

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: My Hondas: Were. Original HR-V, 4 CR-Vs, Jazz, HR-V e:HEV. CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV. Now eNiro4+
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 10:54:40 AM »
Bearing in mind I have only driven a Crosstar once.......
Both the HR-V hybrid and the CR-V hybrid brake hold will only hold for between 1-2 minutes. It then releases without warning and if still in D or B will 'creep' you into the car in front of you, unless you are quick on the brake pedal.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Terryp

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 10:57:04 AM »
Thanks all, looks like practice will make perfect so to speak. I do pathology runs to hospitals and one hill coming out of bath to get to the main A46 is a nightmare as it has a 20mph limit which tends to create slow traffic uphill.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 11:40:28 AM »
... one hill coming out of bath to get to the main A46 is a nightmare as it has a 20mph limit which tends to create slow traffic uphill.
Ha! Lansdown Lane through Weston with one of the few working speed cameras in the area, I know it well. The issue there is gear selection. In a manual car, you need to be in low gear to stay within the limit near the bottom, but most people seem to change up too soon and are then caught out when the hill steepens further up. I stay in low gear and put my foot down after the NSL sign. All the cars that have been nudging my back bumper in the 20 limit are out of sight before I reach the junction at the top! In a hybrid you won't have that problem, the electric drive will give you the torque at whatever speed without worrying about gears.

Some of the earlier comments suggest the issue might be with Hill Start Assist (which the Mk3 has, and is a real PITA when parallel parking on a hill ... quite common in Bath). Does the Mk4 have that as well as Brake Hold?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 12:04:48 PM by ColinB »

SebastianTR

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 4.0L/100km
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 11:50:53 AM »
Bearing in mind I have only driven a Crosstar once.......
Both the HR-V hybrid and the CR-V hybrid brake hold will only hold for between 1-2 minutes. It then releases without warning and if still in D or B will 'creep' you into the car in front of you, unless you are quick on the brake pedal.

It should hold 10 minutes.
Cheers!

Terryp

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 12:03:06 PM »
That’s the one Colin, my MK2 does well getting up there until the NSL sign turns up. I am hoping engine creep will be enough to just edge upwards without having to use anything else.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 12:46:54 PM »
Creep is enough  for trickling  without throttle    on the level and some hills.   But there comes a point where the hill is too steep for it and you need some throttle.
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 12:54:33 PM »
What I like about downward hills is when I'm following other cars.

They are all displaying brake lights whilst my B mode means no brakes.

I imagine the cars behind are also on brakes.
Let's be careful out there !

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 01:18:09 PM »
Parking break for me, which is what I also used on my manual cars. Fortunately, the Jazz has the same functioning 'hill start assist' that my Renaults had. Works a treat.
As to downhill, I use the B mode which is what the manual advises.

Tags:

anything