Author Topic: Mk4 'pothole jitters' factor (repeat, specifically Mk4)  (Read 1529 times)

Saucebox

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 jazz EX
Mk4 'pothole jitters' factor (repeat, specifically Mk4)
« on: January 03, 2023, 03:43:00 PM »
According to many reviewers this model badly jars and clatters over road imperfections in general and potholes/speedhumps in particular. Apparently the car doesn't cope at all well in such matters... Oh dear... Ahead of possible acquisition this scenario puts me off hugely because I'm not at all sure I could live with the alleged reality:

What's ●your● experience and opinion in this connection?

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
Re: Mk4 'pothole jitters' factor (repeat, specifically Mk4)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 04:13:06 PM »
No worse than any of the 12 Renaults I had prior to switching allegiance to the Honda Jazz. I had Scenics, Clios and Capturs and they were no better at handling potholes than the Jazz is. I have the EX Style, and I find the ride over bumps OK... and speed bumps don't really phase it either. Obviously, pot holes differ in their size and depth, so depends how and at what speed you hit the bloody things. I watch the road, and try to drive around them. 

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 04:47:15 PM »
I have never considered the MK4 to be any worse on rough roads than my previous cars.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 04:51:32 PM »
Same positive experience here.

I'm finding the suspension softer and more pliable than my 3 previous Civics both 8G and 9G

If you've picked up your info from a magazine then check the date. Frequently they base early reviews on a previous model.
Let's be careful out there !

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 05:44:04 PM »
I have never considered the MK4 to be any worse on rough roads than my previous cars.

My sentiments entirely, I suggest you book a test drive, before making any firm decision.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 06:04:00 PM »
My Jazz is the Crosstar variant, so slightly higher ride height. Recently, whilst four up, I visited a country park which had seriously vicious speed bumps laid diagonally across the road. The car coped admirably, no suspension bottoming and definitely more capable in this situation than my previous car, a VW Golf.

On normal roads I have felt the ride and the way the suspension copes with potholes etc perfectly acceptable.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 06:35:56 PM »
I especially got the alloy 15 in wheels on my EX because many reviews say the extra tyre height is advantageous. I have no complaints, the Jazz rides like a bigger heavier car overall.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 09:18:50 PM »
My jazz rides better than my previous Nissan Note with just the driver. Once both have more load they did a good job for a normal car . .. in some cars maybe a big pot hole causes the suspension to hit the bumpstop? I don’t think I have hit the bumpstop in the jazz yet as I try to avoid potholes .. I do wonder how motoring road testers  come up with their comments. As a teenager following cars with the weekly   MOTOR and AUTOCAR car mags you learned how they tried to be objective in their tests. Sadly in You Tube and todays social media this is lacking in those reviews in too many cases. To anyone thinking of buying one go try and you will buy as we have all !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 09:32:30 PM »
... This EX rides much better than my 2010 EX.
It is going to be carp compared to some cars and magnificent compared to others.
I think it's pretty good actually.

Pogglefish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda HR-V Adv. Style in Sand Khaki
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 10:30:25 PM »
I find the Mk.4 Jazz to be average in respect of potholes - not great and not terrible either.

The Mk.1 Jazz was terrible - it was the only serious flaw in what was otherwise a very good car - but the Mk.4 is okay.

- Pogglefish

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 10:41:30 PM »
I never found my Mk 1 Jazz all that terrible. Mind you, I had 14" steel wheels so plenty of wall on the tyre.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 04:00:53 AM »
There seems to be a theme here with the OP having found incorrect reports.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 03:24:24 PM »
There is lots of plagiarism with Reviews.  .If other reviewers  have mentioned a fault a lazy reviewer, working mostly in the office,  wont want be the only one who apparently didnt notice.  (Only a few top reviewers appear prepared to contradict others)    In reality they may all be plagiarising  each other to the extent that a  reported fault may have originated  in a review for a previous model Jazz, and  no longer applies.  .

I have driven my Mk4  on  both 16" wheels with summer tyres and 15" wheels with all seasons.   They say that higher side walls of 15" gives   a softer ride than 16"  but  I found them about the same.  Probably because the 15" tyres were new and still a bit stiff.

There is a downside to a car that appears to handle potholes well. It encourages you to treat them with less caution  and drive that much faster.  And newtons law says if velocity doubles  (from maybe 5 mph to 10 mph)  Kinetic energy quadruples.  In other words your tyres, wheels and suspension will be impacting  potholes 4 times as hard.

In summary, I am happy with the mk 4's  ride  even on quite bad roads. . A good balance of comfort and handling.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 03:28:51 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

SebastianTR

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 4.0L/100km
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 11:35:52 AM »
In 2021 I bought a brand new 2021 Seat Arona.
Before that I had an Seat leon 2013

I thought.. I believe they were good at some point... Until I bought used (12500km) 2021 Honda Jazz crosstar.

Same road, same speedbump Jazz is much much better. We were like head banging in Seat.
Cheers!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 12:57:15 PM »
Just driven a new  civic elegance   loan car.  I didnt find the ride noticeably  better than my 2021 Jazz ex. Exact comparison not possible because my Jazz is currently on 15" all  season tyres, the civic has 18"wheels with  summer tyres.

I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Tags:

anything