Author Topic: MPG- Could not believe it  (Read 12940 times)

guest1925

Re: MPG- Could not believe it
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 10:00:21 PM »
Acceleration is the great fuel guzzler (which is why stop-start city driving is so bad), followed by speed and cold weather.

In a 1.4GD I can get up to 60mpg in the summer on 50 mile round trip mixed main road / town commute, but no more than low 50's mpg in winter. I don't drive slowly but have a habit of accelerating slowly and coasting downhills and up to islands, I try not to come to a stop but 'slot in' to traffic flow where possible. Think ahead, and if traffic up front is at a standstill just coast up to it, don't go at speed and then brake to a halt.

Just remember that every time you use the brakes you are wasting fuel (transferring the energy from the petrol burnt in the engine into energy that is just heating up the brake discs).

Here here I agree.  I believe it to be down to driving styles - when I drive my Jazz I can get 50 to 55 mpg but when my husband drives it this drops down to around 46mpg - he has a heavier foot than me, accelerates hard and brakes sharp, whereas I have a lighter foot and do what Culzean does.  As you can imagine my hubby and I have some interesting conversations about driving styles and MPG lol  :D  The best part is when I have had to follow him somewhere and although he is usually way ahead than me on the straights when we reach our destination I am only seconds behind him, so it is not that I drive any slower!   8)

guest1897

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
Game on then!!!! :D :D :D

whos going to get the best distance on the trip?
Just brimmed mine with fuel, and looking to crack 400 at least before refilling.

guest1844

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »
Here here I agree.  I believe it to be down to driving styles - when I drive my Jazz I can get 50 to 55 mpg but when my husband drives it this drops down to around 46mpg - he has a heavier foot than me, accelerates hard and brakes sharp, whereas I have a lighter foot and do what Culzean does.  As you can imagine my hubby and I have some interesting conversations about driving styles and MPG lol

Just goes to show that women really are better drivers than men! They crash less as well. You can't argue with the insurance premiums. Us men really ought to start believing it...

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 07:38:30 AM »
It's the opposite for my wife and i.  She states it all down to the town driving she does while i only drive it on longer journey's.
She does 'hover' her foot over the clutch but she insists its not on it.  Apart from being no good for the clutch, would this have an effect on MPG?  Plates not touching as well? ::)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »
It's the opposite for my wife and i.  She states it all down to the town driving she does while i only drive it on longer journey's.
She does 'hover' her foot over the clutch but she insists its not on it.  Apart from being no good for the clutch, would this have an effect on MPG?  Plates not touching as well? ::)

Well the clutch won't last long so keep your left foot off it!

MPG effected? Well definitely

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »
I'll carry on with the nagging then :P

guest1907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »
I've had my Jazz for 2 weeks now so this morning reset the trip computer for the first time.
My journey is about 15 miles around 5 town and 10 dual carriage way.
On the way out it read 54.7 mph it was early morning so not much traffic. On the way back it read 50.4 mph but more traffic about, so understandable. Quite pleased with that. Next week going to fill it up run it for the week then check it from the tank and trip computer.

guest1897

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »
 ;)  topped the car up about two weeks ago.

Ran till the light came on ans more or less went and filled up. 345 miles.

MPG trip said 48.3 mpg.........
Fuel added and checked for mpg, which was 46 mpg average.
I could not use the same pump and the fuel staton, but just filled up to the click off.

i'm happy with that.

guest1874

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 11:07:45 AM »
on the subject of mpg! i think im getting a poor return at the moment when it comes to driving on the motorways as a maintain quite a high rev...my question to all u guys/girls is...how quick do u tend to go on the motorways?? and at what revs??   :D

guest1262

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »
We don't do motorways here in East Anglia.

On dual carriageways, when I find one, cruise control has been set at 69mph (my 3 penalty points will be scrubbed out soon) but, when I travel over to Telford next weekend, I'm planning to reduce that to 65mph. MPG will be improved - and I'll catch up with overtakers at the next roundabout.

High revs? Only rarely.

guest1907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
Finally got round to filling up the Jazz I've ran it for 10 days then checked the MPG at the pump.
Car had done 218.7 miles took 18.1 ltr to fill to the click on the pump. If my sums are right thats 55 mpg.
It's the 1.2 model and 75% of my journeys are on a dual carriageway. Try to keep speed down to 60-65 mph when possible.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »
Nowadays I`m doing 55-60 mph on the motorway with the lorries to get a good mpg. In the last 2 days the onboard computer shows 64mpg but tomorrow morning I`ll fill up the tank (about 20 liters for 300miles). I`ll update here, I`m guessing real world 57mpg.

Update: I filled 23.03 liters of fuel for 287 miles (56.72mpg).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:26:02 PM by DV »

guest102

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »
Wifey drives our 1.4 Manual 2007 - averages out at 42mpg over many tanks. mostly stop start local driving. Couple of points though ...... even if you measure tank to tank you are still relying on the accuracy of the odometer, also measuring tank to tank the displayed MPG is always 2-3 MPG optomistic. Just bought a CR-Z - first couple of tanks working out at 46 MPG - jury still out though!

Tags:

anything