Author Topic: Manual control of car interior heating  (Read 5426 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Manual control of car interior heating
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 11:14:38 AM »
Yes - takes some getting used too. My default is to have Climate Control on permanently but, of late, I have taken to turning down the fan as it is so bloody noisy and produces an uncomfortably high level of air flow.

I am more than a little concerned that the recirculation doesn't seem to switch off at all (if on when you start). Surely there must come a point when the oxygen content of the air drops to potentially dangerous levels? Would I be right in thinking that if the outside temperature is higher than the temperature set in the car it will never turn off?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2022, 11:46:09 AM »
I've always found that recirc only cuts in when the interior temp is considerably higher than set.

As long as I have Auto set which means the fan is 'giving it some' until the interior temp cools sufficiently then recirc does eventually turn off.

Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2022, 04:12:05 PM »
In this hot weather you have to remember to switch ECO off if you use it or the climate system struggles to reach its target

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 03:26:06 PM »
Agree

If unsure just press auto

It's well known that the compressor seals can deteriorate quicker with AC turned off for extended periods. AC still has a winter job of drying the air to help reduce misting.
I have never been a great lover of AC., but am aware of the need to run the system, to keep the seals from leaking, making the system less effective.

Is the AC and the climate control intrinsically linked, allowing the use of the latter, without the AC, and if I just use the CC, will that give me issues in the future, with leaking seals?

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 10:25:45 PM »
Agree

If unsure just press auto

It's well known that the compressor seals can deteriorate quicker with AC turned off for extended periods. AC still has a winter job of drying the air to help reduce misting.
I have never been a great lover of AC., but am aware of the need to run the system, to keep the seals from leaking, making the system less effective.

Is the AC and the climate control intrinsically linked, allowing the use of the latter, without the AC, and if I just use the CC, will that give me issues in the future, with leaking seals?
Best to use it occasionally to keep in good order.

I'm very impressed with the CC on my Crosstar, used it today and kept the car beautifully cool while outside it was like an oven, doesn't seem to affect the economy too much either. Much better than the old system on my Mk 2 which struggled in heat wave conditions.

PaulC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2022, 09:32:20 PM »
Hi, did the experiment that I talked about in my last post in this thread.
So in the NZ winter with the outside temperature at 12 degrees (Auckland rarely gets below 5 degrees in winter) I set the interior temperature control to 25 degrees.
Auto CC was set to Off, Air Conditioning was set to Off, fan speed was set to 1 bar, air recirculation was set to internal.
Result was lots of warm air coming out the air vents.
So heating can be manually controlled for my version of the hybrid Jazz

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 06:29:03 AM »
So in the NZ winter with the outside temperature at 12 degrees (Auckland rarely gets below 5 degrees in winter) I set the interior temperature control to 25 degrees.
Auto CC was set to Off, Air Conditioning was set to Off, fan speed was set to 1 bar, air recirculation was set to internal.
And it works even though the car is upside down, being in the southern hemisphere  ;D
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 07:40:56 AM »

Well yes, but what you’ve done there is replicate the system on a car of 20 years ago: you’ve bought a car with A/C controlled by a climate control system and then turned it all off ... not sure I see the point of that. The car will continue churning out hot air until you get too hot, when you’ll have to turn it down manually. Why not let the auto system - which you’ve paid for - control the temperature?

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2020 CRV e-HEV EX
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2022, 11:18:48 PM »
It will be interesting to see how the Climate Control functions on our cars during the upcoming heatwave……

Comments invited in the days ahead?
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

sportse

• Approved Member
Manual control of car interior heating
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2022, 10:27:21 AM »
Should be the same as I found driving in 33 degree temperatures recently- cc adequate rather than good and fan will blow fast all the time.

Not a very efficient air conditioning system - I found economy dropped by 10mpg and the engine revs much more often and higher as it tries to generate power for the ac.

Several comments on another thread said how generally poor Honda air conditioning is unfortunately.

I don’t understand why Honda air conditioning is like that, they sell hundreds of thousands of cars in the US each year and 40 degree temperatures aren’t unusual.

Manufacturers are supposed to test their cars in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, before selling a new model.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2022, 11:42:04 AM »
Although manufacturers sell cars worldwide these days they are set up differently for different markets.  Americans like their climate control to be more aggressive i.e. if the temp inside the car is far from the set temp they like the air to be coming out of the vents at gale force and to be extra hot or extremely cold so it gets to the set temp asap.  This takes its toll on the fuel consumption.  I was in the USA at the start of May and did more than a few miles in my daughters four litre SUV, had to fill it three times in 10 days.  Taking into account the difference in a US and British gallon the equivalent price for a litre of unleaded was 86p,  they think that's expensive.  It's a big country and many used cars have covered mega miles, my daughters is on 225000.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 11:52:01 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the Climate Control functions on our cars during the upcoming heatwave……

Comments invited in the days ahead?

Surely the sensible thing to do would be to keep out of your car during the heatwave.
Edit Typo
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 12:03:23 PM by JimSh »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2022, 12:40:15 PM »
I intend to leave the car parked up as JimSH suggests but I am retired so don't need to drive. There will be some who have no choice. I reckon the CC will be blasting out cold air for a very long time if my recent little trip is anything to go by. I can well imagine fuel consumption will increase dramatically as well. If I did have to go out I would follow the advice given on here to switch off ECO but I would also turn up the thermostat to, say, 26 to give the CC a fighting chance of attaining that.

guest9814

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2022, 02:24:37 PM »
Although manufacturers sell cars worldwide these days they are set up differently for different markets.  Americans like their climate control to be more aggressive i.e. if the temp inside the car is far from the set temp they like the air to be coming out of the vents at gale force and to be extra hot or extremely cold so it gets to the set temp asap.  This takes its toll on the fuel consumption.  I was in the USA at the start of May and did more than a few miles in my daughters four litre SUV, had to fill it three times in 10 days.  Taking into account the difference in a US and British gallon the equivalent price for a litre of unleaded was 86p,  they think that's expensive.  It's a big country and many used cars have covered mega miles, my daughters is on 225000.
In US and UK price reasonable low for unleded
Currently in Israel 1 liter or 95RON cost 2.33$ or 1.96 GBP
Next time i drive in middle of day after car parked uner sun i will try to do as folow
when i unlock car i will open all dors for minute or 2, then when i start to drive i will crack open rear windows to allow hot air to escape from cabin and power on A/C without recirculation with max fan speed for first 2-3 km, then will close rear windows and will switch climate control to auto 25-26 degrees C, when i do so i will record video from Car Scanner app dashboard, there i set outside and inside air temp sensors, powermeters speedometer.
I will do 15km trip, outside temp must be 31-33 degrees C. 

Maybe part of Climate control issues is that fact that in almost any situations when it started it uses recirculation, but that mean that a/c will fight hot air and heated parts of cabin to reduce air temperature in cabin, meibe i wrong but i think that better way to cool air in cabin faster is to push hot air out from cabin either throught cabin ventilation in lugage compartment or throught rear windows opened slightly.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2022, 03:24:35 PM »
One good thing is to hold the unlock button as you are walking up to the car - all four windows will lower and it lets some of the hot air come out before you get to the car.

Tags:

anything