Author Topic: Does the Jazz Mk4 learn your driving style / adapt behaviour based on mileage?  (Read 1730 times)

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
I've now racked up 750km in under a week and found that pseudo gear changes appear to be happening more frequently.

Often it was under load (between 60 and 70mph going up an incline) or joining a motorway from a slip lane.

Now, however, there appears to be a bit more subtlety and far more occasions where I hear the gear change.

I'm also using ECON mode. Maybe this is also factor, but I've found it does have a positive effect without zapping performance.

So basic mode is D plus ECON (B - I'm only reserving for town use).

Perhaps my imagination, but I do feel there's an improvement in the logic applied (for pseudo gear shifts) since my first 100 miles! I hear them alot now! Does anyone know if this is the case?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 01:24:13 PM by Jayt43 »

sportse

• Approved Member
Does the Jazz Mk4 learn your driving style / adapt behaviour based on mileage?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 03:30:13 PM »
Several people have mentioned that the car seems to have a built in programmed running in period, as the car favours the petrol engine more as the miles build from new.

Certainly on my own, I was using light throttle the first 600 miles yet getting great progress without much revs. The car seemed to be favouring using the electric motor.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 03:31:45 PM by sportse »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Just on ECON mode, I have been using it and its effect on throttle input is quite pronounced, my fear, therefore, is that you might be tempted to put extra input in yourself thus defeating the object.

That said, given my driving profile (predominantly short town journeys) I am using B + Econ. I am more interested in the fact that it lessens the Climate Control impact.

I haven't noticed any "learning" effect but I am still in the very early part of my ownership.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Several people have mentioned that the car seems to have a built in programmed running in period, as the car favours the petrol engine more as the miles build from new.

I think it has more to do with lower ambient temperature and you liking a warm cabin than with a programmed running in period...

When the engine is running for a while, just push the left button with the ventilator icon on/off sign to switch off the heating and fan.... suddenly you are in EV.
Switch on again and there's your engine again...
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Approved Member
Does the Jazz Mk4 learn your driving style / adapt behaviour based on mileage?
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 06:59:36 PM »

I think it has more to do with lower ambient temperature and you liking a warm cabin than with a programmed running in period...

When the engine is running for a while, just push the left button with the ventilator icon on/off sign to switch off the heating and fan.... suddenly you are in EV.
When I was running mine in temperatures were around 20 degrees.

It only took a couple of weeks to do the 600 miles , after that I noticed more use of the petrol engine.

There might be a programmed run in, or it could just be that the engine starts more as people get used to it and the accelerator.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
I have noticed the petrol engine on more but I think it's due to the lower temperatures outside with winter approaching, also my mpg has gone down slightly (which I would expect)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
I think it goes as read that in the colder weather your engine will fire up almost immediately if you have heat selected.

I don't see the point of turning the main heat off and relying on heated seats and steering wheel just to save a few bob or fewer petrol visits.
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
I think it goes as read that in the colder weather your engine will fire up almost immediately if you have heat selected.

I don't see the point of turning the main heat off and relying on heated seats and steering wheel just to save a few bob or fewer petrol visits.
Even if heat isn't selected the engine is on longer at startup, presumably it is 'on the choke' for longer when it's cold

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Choke...? Ah, I remember that from the history books...  ;D
Nowadays it seems to have something to do with temperature sensors...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX

When I was running mine in temperatures were around 20 degrees.

It only took a couple of weeks to do the 600 miles , after that I noticed more use of the petrol engine.

/quote]

Colder weather is a factor, but if its also happening  in warmer weather there may be more to it.

Honda might restrict engine revs and load  during  the running in period which may mean the car doesnt reach the high revs needed to trigger the 'pseudo' gear changes  as readily or as often during that period. 

A run in engine has less friction  so will use less fuel and rev more freely.    The system constantly monitors which mode is the most fuel efficient for the current circumstances  . EV only  ,hybrid electric and engine, or engine alone.    An  improvement in fuel efficiency may tip the balance  of when and how often the engine is deployed.

An engine thats running-in also produces more frictional heat. So it warms up quicker . Not only might a fully run in engine need to run  longer to produce cabin heating, it might also need to run more often on the move  to maintain its  optimal operating temperature.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
whoops. I messed up the quotes  The latter part is me, not sportse
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV

Hello,
I looked at the photo and I noticed that the climate controls are reversed with respect to my car, I have the degrees on the left and the fan speed on the right.
Then in the fan speed I don't even think I have that down arrow symbol.
What car version is it? country? drive on the right or left?
Thanks for the info.
(Sorry for the mistakes I used goole translator)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
So it sounds like the 'Auto' is always on the drivers side.
Let's be careful out there !

Jayt43

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
So I guess that's a UK / JDM spec picture then.

Just imagine if Japan didn't also drive on the left? Likely they wouldn't bother to adapt the climate controls for Brit / Australian markets only, much like how PSA group don't move over the fuse box from left-hand drive models. Hence, the crappy sized glove box for UK Peugeot / Citroen drivers!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 06:43:59 PM by Jayt43 »

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
Hello,
in Italy the steering wheel is on the left and the AUTO button is always on the left,
in England, on the other hand, the steering wheel is on the right but where is the AUTO button?

Tags: