Author Topic: Comparison of my new Mk.4 to my previous Mk.3 (a one month in review)  (Read 3313 times)

Pogglefish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda HR-V Adv. Style in Sand Khaki
So, having now had my Mk.4 for a month, I thought that now would be a good time to compare it to my previous Mk.3  In this case we are comparing a Mk.4 EX to a Mk.3 Automatic EX Navi.

After one month I find the following:

Where the Mk.4 is better:

- Much more comfortable seats.
- Much better ride quality.
- Much quieter in the cabin at speed.
- Faster acceleration.
- About 50% better fuel economy.
- Slightly cheaper to tax and insure.
- Better sound quality from the stereo, despite it having two fewer speakers.
- Supports Apple CarPlay.
- Has radar cruise control that actually works and lane keep assist that mostly works. 
- Looks nicer (though not quite as nice as a Mk.2).
- Has heated seats and steering wheel. 

Where the Mk.3 is better:

- Cheaper to buy (comparing new price to new price).
- Slightly bigger boot.
- OEM SatNav had RDS traffic data.
- An RDMS system you did not have to switch off every time in winter (because it only bleeped at you; it didn't actually try to jerk the car about on icy roads).
- Had lights in the vanity mirrors.
- Had two 12v sockets, whereas the Mk.4 has only 1.

Conclusion:
The Mk.4 is a better car in almost every way; the massive difference in fuel consumption being the major advantage. Further it is a much nicer place to sit behind the wheel; much more comfortable and smoother to drive, especially over long distances. 

No car is perfect, however, and there are a few black marks on the Mk.4 as compared with its predecessor.  Most are forgivable (for example the slightly smaller boot is a necessary compromise for somewhere to put the hybrid's running battery).  Others are easy enough to work around (an adaptor can be purchased to make two 12v sockets should this be required).

There are, however two things on the Mk.4 that Honda really should improve (fortunately both are software so can hopefully be improved in existing cars as well as later ones):

1) Not providing any traffic data, not even through RDS, in the OEM SatNav is quite a let-down, though (in fairness) the added support for Apple CarPlay does mitigate this, relegating the OEM satnav to areas with no signal which, thankfully, are not areas likely to have that much traffic.

2) The RDMS system really isn't liveable with, especially in winter or on narrow roads. It would seem to have two problems; the first being that it is paranoid about where the edge of the road is and will try to correct far too soon, the second is that it isn't quite bright enough always know when you are crossing a line deliberately and when you have genuinely drifted out of position. The version in the Mk.3 which beeped at you but did not try to correct your steering was far superior; you got the warning and then you could decide for yourself what to do about it. Fortunately, unlike many other modern cars, Honda has given us the option to turn the RDMS off; but to vastly improve the system I would suggest that the following changes be made - (a) if the car was switched off with RDMS off, then RDMS stays off next time the car is switched on and (b) provision of a "beeper only" mode to make it similar to that on the Mk.3.

Other than those issues, which are not in any way deal breakers and easy enough to work around, the Mk.4 Jazz is an excellent car and I am very happy that I upgraded.

- Pogglefish

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: Comparison of my new Mk.4 to my previous Mk.3 (a one month in review)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
The car doesn't have radar, it uses a camera behind the drivers windscreen mirror. I've had problems with ACC that might have been avoided if the car used a radar system.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 02:18:19 PM »
I suppose the argument about RDMS should be off, if it was off before, only applies if the car has only one driver.

I agree though and maybe an acceptable warning to tell all drivers it's off via a popup of some kind.
Let's be careful out there !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 03:30:58 PM »
RDMS should dumb itself down when on any road that's not a generous width for two-way traffic. It will be interesting to see if Honda has taken note of the feedback and has been modified the RDMS behaviour on the new HR-V.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Pogglefish

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda HR-V Adv. Style in Sand Khaki
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 09:42:02 PM »
Regarding Kremmen’s comment; yes that makes sense, for multiple drivers either a ping to say it’s still off, or perhaps have the vehicle remember different driver’s preferred settings on different key fobs.

- Pogglefish

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 03:17:48 PM »
So, having now had my Mk.4 for a month, I thought that now would be a good time to compare it to my previous Mk.3  In this case we are comparing a Mk.4 EX to a Mk.3 Automatic EX Navi.

After one month I find the following:

Where the Mk.4 is better:

- Slightly cheaper to tax and insure.

- Pogglefish

Tax cheaper-Not true. My Mk.3 Auto EX Navi was £30 while my Mk.4 EX is £145

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 03:49:36 PM »
My Mk.3 Auto EX Navi was £30 while my Mk.4 EX is £145

Mine is £155. :(

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 05:13:28 PM »
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Things changed for cars registered after 1 April 2017. Too many "alternative fuel" vehicles meant too little projected income to the treasury.

But over the year, VED is a tiny amount compared with the amount of tax most people will contribute via fuelling up (fuel duty+VAT) plus insurance tax.

jamjar

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 07:52:50 PM »
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Things changed for cars registered after 1 April 2017. Too many "alternative fuel" vehicles meant too little projected income to the treasury.

But over the year, VED is a tiny amount compared with the amount of tax most people will contribute via fuelling up (fuel duty+VAT) plus insurance tax.

OK, my £30 VED was for a 2016 MK.3 Jazz. 2017 onwards is £155

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 08:18:52 PM »
I think my Mk3 was better than my Mk4 in one respect.......it had somewhere to put a spare wheel.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

jamjar

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 04:04:47 PM »
I think my Mk3 was better than my Mk4 in one respect.......it had somewhere to put a spare wheel.

Yes, definitely a plus point.

Saucebox

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 05:43:53 PM »
What's it like 'coping' with potholes? Most reviewers are heavily critical - what's your own experience, jarring, jittery, jolting...? Also, in town (repeat, in town)  is the ride quality acceptabley compliant or noticeably bad?

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 05:54:54 PM »
What's it like 'coping' with potholes? Most reviewers are heavily critical - what's your own experience, jarring, jittery, jolting...? Also, in town (repeat, in town)  is the ride quality acceptabley compliant or noticeably bad?
Why not go to a Honda dealer and take a test drive, that will answer your question.
It's a modern car and the ride quality is good, never bad.
Hit a deep pothole and there is risk of tyre and rim damage, just like with any car.
Since the Jazz is not running particularly low profile tyres, there is less risk of damage than many other cars that do run low profile tyres.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 06:53:53 PM »
Why not go to a Honda dealer and take a test drive, that will answer your question.

I would say that will answer your questionS, because Saucebox has quite a few.
It shouldn't be a problem to get a Jazz from a dealer for (at least) half a day. That will answer all his questions.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2023, 03:55:56 AM »
When I took my test drive I drove my 9G Civic to the dealers and drove the Mk4 Jazz out.

That allowed me to make a direct comparison and I was pleasantly surprised.

When you take the 2 models into account you would expect to have to compromise, Civic to Jazz ....... not so in this case. The Jazz is quiet and smooth and a pleasure to drive. The only compromise is a smaller boot.

The 8G Civic did have a harsh ride due to torsion bar rear suspension. Honda improved it slightly on the facelift 8G and again on the 9G but they seem to have improved it further with the 4.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything