Author Topic: Engine oil - factory fill  (Read 1946 times)

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Engine oil - factory fill
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 05:00:45 PM »
If I need to, I'll be topping up with Shell Helix Ultra ECT C5 0W-20 (perhaps wrongly I've always though Shell Oils superior to the likes of Castrol etc - even though they do carry a price premium).

https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/engine-oils/helix/helix-ultra/shell-helix-ultra-ect-c5-0w-20.html

aphybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.41
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 06:21:34 PM »
I think embee gets closest to my view (having been involved in oil testing in aero engines).

Regardless of cost oil is the cheapest and best service you can give any engine, and the better quality known source and reputation is best measure.

Shopping around for Castrol H 0W20 can get it for £11.41/litre (Cox's) as opposed to some over £20/litre.

But that said you would have to punish severely today's quality of engines to bring about any significant detriment using off the shelf well known brands.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 06:25:08 PM »
I would not get too hung up on expensive synthetic oils for the Jazz, it is after all a family runabout not a racing car.  I tend to use ( and have for a long time ) Castrol Magnatec synthetic 5W-30 -

5w-30  may be ok for earlier Jazz models but its unsuitable for the Mk4 /Crosstar and must not be used.  These require  API SN ILSAC GF-5,  0W20 oil.     There are cheaper 0W20 oils   that dont meet these full  specifications and these shouldnt be used either.  .

Plenty of oils meet API SN ILSAC GF-5 spec and they do not have to be 0W-20,  that standard has been around since 2010.   They can be any viscosity up to 10W-30.  Using a slightly thicker ( and a lot less pricey 5W-30 is not going to cause any harm, you may get 0.001 % less MPG ).

The latest spec is GF-6 recommended for direct injection engines  https://pqia.org/api-sp-ilsac-gf-6a-6b/

https://www.castrol.com/en_cr/ccsa/home/motor-oil-and-fluids/new-api-sn-plus-specifications.html

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 06:37:33 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 04:35:06 PM »
From reading the specs for Morris Multivis  oil it appears more 0W20 oils meet the specifications than I realised.   Some just dont brag about it on their label.    Fancy packaging and advertising hype . All that glisters is not gold.

Hopefully  with increasing choice  the price will come down. Or better still I may never need to top up between services.
 I was initially a bit shocked that the handbook says oil consumption can be as high as 1 litre per 1000km  :o.
But members  report low oil consumption . The handbook for my yaris also quotes up to 1 litre per 1000 km, and that has never used much oil.  Phew.

I still wont be tempted to use 5W20.   If by chance an  engine has to be replaced during warranty , Honda may well investigate the cause of failure .  If they find the wrong grade oil has been used ,even if that wasnt the primary cause, they could  void the warranty.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: My Hondas: Were. Original HR-V, 4 CR-Vs, Jazz, HR-V e:HEV. CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV. Now eNiro4+
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2021, 05:11:10 PM »
Further to Karoq's post, having worked in the auto power train industry since the late 1970's in both manufacturers and consultant companies doing R&D for big manufacturers, I haven't come across anyone who uses anything other than a regular service oil as factory fill. You will read people say that factory fill is some sort of mineral/base oil, but I have yet to see any evidence for those statements, I suspect the bar stool expert effect.

I have been retired for some years, but generally speaking i would confirm that.
Using synthetic or even semi-synthetic oils in new engines can stop the rings and bores bedding in and cause bore glazing which cannot be got rid of without taking the engine apart and using a 'glaze-busting' tool a very expensive and protracted operation.
When with Shell, I personally had a problem with Bedford as their new lorries were suffering with bore glazing after Bedford decided to change from a SHELL mineral oil to our new semi-synthetic as factory fill. I changed them back to mineral oils and the problem vanished. Then at the first oil change, once the engine had bedded in they went back to the semi-synthetic as the chosen service fill.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: My Hondas: Were. Original HR-V, 4 CR-Vs, Jazz, HR-V e:HEV. CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV. Now eNiro4+
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2021, 05:16:13 PM »
If I need to, I'll be topping up with Shell Helix Ultra ECT C5 0W-20 (perhaps wrongly I've always though Shell Oils superior to the likes of Castrol etc - even though they do carry a price premium).

https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/engine-oils/helix/helix-ultra/shell-helix-ultra-ect-c5-0w-20.html
Why thank you Sir! I'm glad someone is propping up my pension! ;D
We (in SHELL) always called Castrol 'Bunghole blenders'
They bought the base oil, usually from us or ESSO and then  tipped in a cocktail of additives bought from and calculated by an additive manufacturer. To my knowledge they still operate in a similar fashion. Piece of useless information,. SHELL 'R' preceded CASTROL 'R', but for some reason never gained the cache that Castrol did.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2021, 05:31:51 PM »
So Tesco sunflower oil doesn't cut it then  ;D
Let's be careful out there !

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2021, 10:06:59 PM »
So Tesco sunflower oil doesn't cut it then  ;D
You need organic cold-pressed ultra-extra-bonus-virgin olive oil.

Tags:

anything