Author Topic: Handling the Unexpected  (Read 4845 times)

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
Handling the Unexpected
« on: August 24, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »
This is the heading for page 343 of the Owner’s Guide. There is a description of the Tool Bag which includes the following:

Detachable Towing Hook
Flat-tip screwdriver

What exactly is the point of a screwdriver? Not even a wheel brace or Jack. Apart from the universally derided puncture repair kit, it appears Honda’s philosophy is to be totally reliant on a third party breakdown service to “Handle the Unexpected “. Or am I missing something here?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Handling the Unexpected
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 11:32:03 AM »
Page 568 includes instructions about tyre rotation.

Now without a jack ............................
Let's be careful out there !

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 11:48:26 AM »
In my opinion the main reason why many new cars don't come with a spare wheel + tools is the "more profit" mentality.

It also makes hybrid car design easier. As i already pointed KIa did better than jazz & HRV & CHR by moving forward the battery
Most drivers today don't use tools on cars.
And with a hybrid, do you really want someone tinkering with the electrical system - the risk if electrocution is ever present.

No tools = no court case if someone tinkers.

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 11:49:22 AM »
I think the alternative name for the screwdriver is the "Towing hook hole cover removal tool".

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 12:15:55 PM »
Why do you want tools. The vast majority of owner don't do any work on there car. Do you want to change a wheel at the side of the road. Even if I had a spare wheel,  I wouldn't. Gone are the days then you could repair you car at the side of the road. A new spark plug lead or new points. Even if you had a full took kit you would also need a good diagnostic computer to plug in. Then the knowledge of how to repair it.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 12:27:45 PM »
In my opinion the main reason why many new cars don't come with a spare wheel + tools is the "more profit" mentality.

It also makes hybrid car design easier. As i already pointed KIa did better than jazz & HRV & CHR by moving forward the battery
Most drivers today don't use tools on cars.
And with a hybrid, do you really want someone tinkering with the electrical system - the risk if electrocution is ever present.

No tools = no court case if someone tinkers.

Where there is blame there is a claim.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 01:35:28 PM »
Another reason spare wheels are being discontinued is that the weight of batteries is such that jacking up one corner of a car to change a wheel will put too great a strain on the structure and the jacking point. 4 point lifts are becoming standard and as be we transition to total Ev's spare wheels will become history. Not sure what AA etc will do apart from towing you to s tyre dealer if the sealant gunk doesn't work.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 01:47:01 PM »
Changing a wheel has got to be the simplest thing ever - my niece ( who has been brought up with cars and motorbikes etc ) even changed a wheel on a Range River for her neighbour ( a 'new age' bloke who wouldn't recognize a wheel brace or jack if it fell on his head ). I did tell her she should have left the useless tw$t to call AA or whoever he employed to fix his car and let him wait a few hours.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Saycol

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 02:07:58 PM »
I think the alternative name for the screwdriver is the "Towing hook hole cover removal tool".
Ah, good explanation so perhaps “Towing Kit” rather than “Tool Kit” would be a better description - maybe something got lost in the translation from the Japanese…

I guess I just have to move with the times and accept my wheel changing days are over and put my trust in the AA. And for rotating the tyres to even out wear I’ll no doubt be paying Honda or Kwik Fit to do that.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: My Hondas: Were. Original HR-V, 4 CR-Vs, Jazz, HR-V e:HEV. CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV. Now eNiro4+
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 03:19:11 PM »
Q-Fit are highwaymen. They'll rob you. Try Bathwick tyres. They changed a full set of standard wheels over for winter wheels on my KAroq for £20.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 04:03:14 PM »
Another reason spare wheels are being discontinued is that the weight of batteries is such that jacking up one corner of a car to change a wheel will put too great a strain on the structure and the jacking point. 4 point lifts are becoming standard and as be we transition to total Ev's spare wheels will become history. Not sure what AA etc will do apart from towing you to s tyre dealer if the sealant gunk doesn't work.

I think you're right .......but if you're only talking about one tyre it won't stop some fitters just wheeling the trolley jack under the car and lifting just one corner anywhere they fancy with the jack.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 04:38:58 PM »

I think you're right .......but if you're only talking about one tyre it won't stop some fitters just wheeling the trolley jack under the car and lifting just one corner anywhere they fancy with the jack.
Until they damage the structure of the car and then are faced with s huge bill to replace the car. The national chains will lead on this, can't remember when Kwik fit or Halfords used anything but a lift to change a wheel.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 04:52:55 PM »
About 1 mile from our holiday destination with a loaded car last month, yep you guessed it, a puncture! Full size spare in the boot, jack, telescopic wrench and a warning triangle. Had the wheel changed, even emptying the boot and refilling with luggage, and back on the road in <15mins!

I have no idea why all this vital kit is not fitted as standard. We've had spare wheels and tools in cars since they first took to the road. Made sense then, and still do a century later. Omission from spec is fool hardy imho.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 05:08:17 PM »
About 1 mile from our holiday destination with a loaded car last month, yep you guessed it, a puncture! Full size spare in the boot, jack, telescopic wrench and a warning triangle. Had the wheel changed, even emptying the boot and refilling with luggage, and back on the road in <15mins!

I have no idea why all this vital kit is not fitted as standard. We've had spare wheels and tools in cars since they first took to the road. Made sense then, and still do a century later. Omission from spec is fool hardy imho.
But was it an EV or regular engined car? The weight is going to be the problem.
Another point is that road deterioration is s factor of vehicle weight, UK roads are going to be a real mess as more and more heavy EV's take to the roads.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 06:21:25 PM »

Exactly, I'll happily change a wheel myself at the side of the road at my discretion - even though I do have breakdown cover.

I just did a couple of very long overnight journeys through the Scottish Highlands in the last fortnight. I would sooner swap the wheel and be on my way, rather than be stuck somewhere remote, possibly waiting for many hours for someone to turn up.

Tags: