Author Topic: Handling the Unexpected  (Read 4545 times)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Handling the Unexpected
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 07:17:20 PM »

Exactly, I'll happily change a wheel myself at the side of the road at my discretion - even though I do have breakdown cover.

Example of how something like this can end (literally):

Two killed changing tyre on M6

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/198798/Two-killed-changing-tyre-on-M6
If nothing goes right, go left!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 07:31:24 PM »

Exactly, I'll happily change a wheel myself at the side of the road at my discretion - even though I do have breakdown cover.

I did say "at my discretion"  ::)  I don't think you need me to list all the places that I would consider it unsafe to carry out repairs, but I can tell you that it would include hard shoulders.

Also consider the risk to other road users of an abandoned car left in the carriageway for several hours. IMHO, you should always try get the vehicle off the carriageway wherever possible.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 07:49:26 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 08:58:54 PM »

I did say "at my discretion"  ::)  I don't think you need me to list all the places that I would consider it unsafe to carry out repairs, but I can tell you that it would include hard shoulders.

Also consider the risk to other road users of an abandoned car left in the carriageway for several hours. IMHO, you should always try get the vehicle off the carriageway wherever possible.

Good job it didn't happen on the 'Smart' section of M6, where there are no hard shoulders to shelter a broken down vehicle.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 10:55:33 PM »
Good job it didn't happen on the 'Smart' section of M6, where there are no hard shoulders to shelter a broken down vehicle.

It was actually two members of a recovery crew that were killed in that old story, a lorry ploughed into them while they were working on the hard shoulder.

Smart motorways are madness, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near an abandoned vehicle without a rolling stop of traffic. There have been several multiple fatality accidents on a smart motorway stretch near me, the coroner at one inquest earlier this year stated that smart motorways 'present ongoing risk of future deaths'.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 08:50:05 AM »
But was it an EV or regular engined car? The weight is going to be the problem.
Another point is that road deterioration is s factor of vehicle weight, UK roads are going to be a real mess as more and more heavy EV's take to the roads.
My Jazz is a mk2, so not so heavy. Weight is not the issue though, Honda just need to supply a more substantial jack, perhaps one from an early CRV of Legend?

You make a good point about ev weight and the state of the roads. Not just limited to EV's though, all cars have gained considerable weight over the last 25yrs. Add into the mix the trend for portly suv's and chronic underfunding of road repairs, and it is a perfect storm.

All of that said though, having spent some time driving in eastern europe, I can assure you our roads are fantastic by comparison. Head off the highway in Romania for example, and you will never grumble at a British road again!

@sparkyPaul- I agree, I would sooner have done the wheel change and just be on my way. That said, it was a sunny day on a rural B road. A different scenario had it been a dark wet evening on an A road. The spare and jack give the option of a change.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 09:22:16 AM »
Another point is that road deterioration is s factor of vehicle weight, UK roads are going to be a real mess as more and more heavy EV's take to the roads.
My Jazz is a mk2, so not so heavy. Weight is not the issue though, Honda just need to supply a more substantial jack, perhaps one from an early CRV of Legend?

Don't think there is much of a problem with EV weight.
My Mk4 is only 11% heavier than my previous Mk3, maybe 1 extra, tubby passenger ;D

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 11:19:37 AM »
Spare tyres have been discontinued because they add weight - so affecting performance / mpg figures, also - its deadly to try and change a tyre on motorways (roads)  - especially "smart motorways" - (how many aa / rac people have been killed changing your tyres?) - so no need for spare - or as per previous posts - avoids any possible problems re jacking /  affecting warranty etc etc etc.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: My Hondas: Were. Original HR-V, 4 CR-Vs, Jazz, HR-V e:HEV. CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV. Now eNiro4+
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »
When (if) I get my HR-V eHEV I intend to keep the wheel changing gear in the boot underfloor storage  and somehow squeeze a spacesaver eIther in the boot, standing upright strapped to the shopping bag hook.
or on the floor behind the front passenger seat.
Luckily I very rarely carry back seat passengers. If I do it will only be for short journeys, then I will remove it for the duration.
I bought a spacesaver & tools for SWMBO's MkII jazz, as it had a well with no spare! Madness!

No spare wheel syndrome gets right up my nose. It is penny pinching lunacy on the part of all manufacturers. The fuel saving excuse is a joke!

Now EV manufacturers are using the weight of pure EV's as the excuse, as they say the car might twist if lifted on a jack. So what are the AA/RAC going to do? Carry a 4 post lift in the vans?
We are going back to the 70's and Allegros that should not be lifted with a door open as "It may cause the body to become mis-aligned".
Simple answer make the cars stronger! If they are that weak, what is going to happen in a serious prang?
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 12:20:09 PM »
So, therefore, with the current situation of the Mk4 without a spacesaver, is it wrong, dangerous or impractical to use the current method of fixing a flat tyre with gunge and continuing on your way until it can be fixed at a garage or probably replaced.  If it is wrong, dangerous or impractical then something is seriously wrong with Honda's thinking.

guest4871

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2021, 12:37:10 PM »
So, therefore, with the current situation of the Mk4 without a spacesaver, is it wrong, dangerous or impractical to use the current method of fixing a flat tyre with gunge and continuing on your way until it can be fixed at a garage or probably replaced.  If it is wrong, dangerous or impractical then something is seriously wrong with Honda's thinking.

Correct.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2021, 01:24:19 PM »
Now EV manufacturers are using the weight of pure EV's as the excuse, as they say the car might twist if lifted on a jack. ..............
I really don't know where that comes from, I can't imagine any manufacturer saying that. My guess would be that it's a bar stool experts opinion.

Car body structure torsional stiffness has always been a major factor in the design, and I would suggest that every new model exceeds the stiffness of the preceding one. It's a fundamental of crash performance and of refinement. Modern design tools (CAD) and manufacturing methods and high strength materials/joining technology etc allow optimised structures to be produced.
If you could twist a modern car by jacking at one corner it would not survive on the streets. Gone are the days of making sure the hatchback was shut on your BL Metro before jacking it up because you couldn't shut it afterwards.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2021, 01:25:26 PM »

Don't think there is much of a problem with EV weight.
My Mk4 is only 11% heavier than my previous Mk3, maybe 1 extra, tubby passenger ;D
Jazz is hybrid. Compare the Kia Niro petrol 1490 kg and Niro EV 2230 kg. The EV version is 50% heavier than the petrol version. 740 kg extra weight due to the battery pack - so not surprising extreme stress on structure if vehicle is lifted by one corner and jacking point itself would be problematic.

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »
If no jacking point. / jack is provided - then you cant jack it. Gunk will work - as designed to get you out of a hole - not go on an excursion - but only if a small puncture.  I had puncture last year - called Honda - AA arrived in 30 minutes - tyre wouldn't take gunk - he put a plug in it - took OK - was able to drive around - but I went to tyre depot and had it looked at - it needed replacing - walls damaged.  Thats how its works. Remember - tries are your only contact with the road - they need to be tip top - no excuses. When you buy a car you should check ALL points relating to the car - if you find out later you didn't do so - then tough.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2021, 02:01:09 PM »
Now EV manufacturers are using the weight of pure EV's as the excuse, as they say the car might twist if lifted on a jack. ..............
I really don't know where that comes from, I can't imagine any manufacturer saying that. My guess would be that it's a bar stool experts opinion.

Car body structure torsional stiffness has always been a major factor in the design, and I would suggest that every new model exceeds the stiffness of the preceding one. It's a fundamental of crash performance and of refinement. Modern design tools (CAD) and manufacturing methods and high strength materials/joining technology etc allow optimised structures to be produced.
If you could twist a modern car by jacking at one corner it would not survive on the streets. Gone are the days of making sure the hatchback was shut on your BL Metro before jacking it up because you couldn't shut it afterwards.
I agree, but consider the load on a small jacking point and the strength of the jack together with the  physical strength needed to lift the car even with low gearing.  Any slight misalignment could have catastrophic consequences.

Deejay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 GR3 Jazz EX Platinum White
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2021, 02:04:22 PM »
About 1 mile from our holiday destination with a loaded car last month, yep you guessed it, a puncture! Full size spare in the boot, jack, telescopic wrench and a warning triangle. Had the wheel changed, even emptying the boot and refilling with luggage, and back on the road in <15mins!

I have no idea why all this vital kit is not fitted as standard. We've had spare wheels and tools in cars since they first took to the road. Made sense then, and still do a century later. Omission from spec is fool hardy imho.

When designing pavement layers for a carriageway only commercial vehicles are used in the assessment. EV passenger vehicles are not heavy enough to damage a road.

If you’re interested this document refers https://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/prod/attachments/257e5888-2bfd-492d-92d4-ecf7d40428b0?inline=true

Tags: