Author Topic: EV mode - can anyone help please?  (Read 8533 times)

Mandrose

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz hybrid EX
EV mode - can anyone help please?
« on: January 23, 2021, 02:16:58 PM »
I’m so frustrated at the moment, so I would really appreciate any help or advise you may have.

I purchased a new Jazz Ex in August 2020 from a dealership approx 20 miles away and I was really impressed & I admit also fascinated by how the car changed to EV power frequently. I do very few miles other than to/from work 5 miles away. 

Ive noticed the driving experience has changed. The battery indicated shows as being full 99% of the time with the display showing power coming from only the engine. Very occasionally it will go to EV but when the indicator drops by one notch it goes back to the engine again. 
An example is when driving onto my driveway the speed goes up to 3mph but it no longer goes to EV mode. I tried to attach a photo/video to show but It wouldn’t accept it. I took it to a local dealership service centre  yesterday who insist it acted normally on a test drive & a vehicle computer check showed no DTC’s.

I called Honda customer services who said they can’t help & suggested I take it to another dealership 10 miles away & if I’m still out happy to raise it with the ombudsman.

Can anyone help please? Am I wrong in thinking the car should be in EV mode when driving under 30 miles an hour or stationary?

Mandrose

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Re: EV mode - can anyone help please?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 02:18:12 PM »
Hopefully this works!

Mandrose

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »
One other

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 02:32:48 PM »
Have you got hearing/climate control (auto) on?  This will be totally normal behaviour as only the engine can heat the cabin. If I’m doing a short journey I switch heating off completely so it then runs in EV mode.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 02:37:09 PM »
Just as a side note, I was doing 78 mpg during warmer weather and much more EV driving. Now it’s mostly engine, a little bit of EV and down to 59 mpg. Winter really takes the fun out of a hybrid!  Bring on summer!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 03:13:38 PM »
Yes, it needs the engine running to give cabin heating. A pity the dealer hadn't told you that. They probably switched the heating off, and it performed as it should, hence their report.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 03:29:28 PM »
Apparently this is a characteristic of most, if not all, Hybrids and PHEVs. Use the ICE to provide cabin heating rather than reversing the air conditioner to provide heat pump for cabin heating.
EV’s don’t have ICE for cabin heating so have to use alternative electric heating systems. Most have some form of pre heating so if connected to a charging station you can switch cabin heating on (using power from mains charger) so cabin is nice and toasty before you get in and set off on cold mornings. NICE!!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 05:31:38 PM »
The electric seat heating is one way to get some warmth without having the main cabin heating running (turning the fan off disables it - no need to touch the other controls) although it doesn't help should you need to clear the windscreen.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 10:19:42 PM »
I really wouldn’t mind if the engine ran to provide heat in the winter, prefer that to no heat! Problem would be if the engine didn’t run to provide heat - I don’t like the cold.

Mandrose

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 05:41:16 PM »
Thank you all, that now makes perfect sense!

It would have been good if the dealership had explained this when I bought the car but even better if the service department had on Thursday! They basically made me feel like I was making it up, so I’m not impressed!

I’ll stop worrying now & look forward to the warmer weather and the return of my EV fascination  :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 09:00:45 PM »
Another pertinent point is that enabling the Econ mode widens the allowable difference between target and actual cabin temperature before then engine is run or the aircon tured on (as appropriate depending on the season).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 10:43:48 PM »
the return of my EV fascination

Keep in mind that the Jazz is always moved by its electrical engine, albeit powered by the petrol engine.

Which makes it almost as smooth as a full EV especially when light on the throttle pedal (or using ECON mode).

I let it do its thing and just enjoy the ride.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 10:27:22 AM »
Keep in mind that the Jazz is always moved by its electrical engine, albeit powered by the petrol engine
...except at high speed when direct engine drive takes over.

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 11:02:15 AM »
As it is designed to do - if you don't like the ICE then buy a full EV - simples.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 12:04:05 PM »
Agreed, the beauty of the Jazz is that it is range unlimited because of the ICE. In much of your driving it is similar to an EV but the engine supports/provides the drive at higher speeds.
I am very wary of EV cars recharging problems until the batteries are capable of much quicker recharging. On a 400 mile drive with current EV’s in the real world you would need to stop at least twice for over an hour each time to recharge, assuming you can pull onto a recharge unit without having to wait for someone else to charge their car. The Jazz system allows you unlimited range (just quick fill of petrol) with the benefit of low fuel consumption and the EV driving experience in most situations.

Tags:

anything