Author Topic: How to factory reset the infotainment system?  (Read 9049 times)

user1652

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
How to factory reset the infotainment system?
« on: January 19, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »
Context

I have a Honda Jazz 3rd Gen (2016). For a couple weeks, the infotainment system won't fully start. Indeed, it keeps looping on this sequence:

• Honda logo (15s)
  • Honda logo + spinning wheel (ca. 60s?)
  • blank screen (2s)

It all looks like a software issue to me. I have tried to disconnect the battery for a few seconds, but this had no effect. I've also tried to push radio's on/off button for 20s+, without success.

Question

How to factory-reset the infotainment system?

Update: This post solved my issue → https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12719.msg92545#msg92545
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:16:10 PM by user1652 »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: How to factory reset the infotainment system?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 06:28:32 AM »
According to the owner's manual page 332 the factory reset is done in the system.
https://www.honda.co.uk/content/dam/local/uk/cars/owners/manuals/JAZZ/2016%20Jazz%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

There is now instructions for the reset without the system running. However the attempt to reset by disconnecting the battery should be more than few seconds. Some minutes is good, especially if you leave the map light on to ensure all capacitors are drained.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 07:27:01 AM »
If the factory reset doesn’t fix it, it’s possible that you’re seeing the problem that dogged some early Mk3s (including mine). There used to be a thread in this forum devoted to this, but I can’t find it now so it looks like it’s been removed. Honda eventually fixed it with a succession of firmware updates, but only if the owner complained (it didn’t affect every car). It’s not clear how long you’ve had your car but if you’ve only recently acquired it maybe the previous owner didn’t get it fixed. Not sure what the position would be now your car’s out of warranty, but Honda did seem to regard it as a build fault so maybe you’d be lucky.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 08:18:34 AM »
Hard reset (Hold power button for 10sec)

Factory reset (In Android menu, total reset to factory settings)
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 08:47:49 AM »
Context

I have a Honda Jazz 3rd Gen (2016). For a couple weeks, the infotainment system won't fully start. Indeed, it keeps looping on this sequence:

• Honda logo (15s)
  • Honda logo + spinning wheel (ca. 60s?)
  • blank screen (2s)

It all looks like a software issue to me. I have tried to disconnect the battery for a few seconds, but this had no effect. I've also tried to push radio's on/off button for 20s+, without success.

Question

How to factory-reset the infotainment system?

Reminds me of when I saw a program about the F-35 when British military pilots were being trained to fly it in USA,  they did a scramble and one plane did not start,  turned out the pilot had forgotten his 'PIN' number and couldn't start the plane.  Just another layer of complication....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.

user1652

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 05:13:32 PM »
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/infotainment-boot-loop-3349011/

My issue was exactly the one described in the link posted by Jazzaro… and, fortunately, the solution as well!

I had to simultaneously press for a while (ca. 30s) on both the power and the brightness-level buttons, as indicated below.

The system then reboot, and asked me to press the power button for 2 seconds (anti-theft program)… and it was then all good!

(I haven't checked what is the effect of disconnecting the battery for a long time — i.e. enough to empty the capacitors.)

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 07:36:34 AM »
That is an excellent piece of information, thank you jazzaro for the link and user1652 for verifying and providing the illustration!
Is this procedure actually documented in any instruction?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 09:38:30 AM »
That is an excellent piece of information, thank you jazzaro for the link and user1652 for verifying and providing the illustration!
Is this procedure actually documented in any instruction?
Never seen in any user manual. Maybe it comes from the official workshop manual (Maris) or some technical bullettin.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 02:22:32 PM »
....or some technical bullettin.
When I wrote this, a far little bell started ringing in my head...  Today the little bell become a church bell: I have that technical bullettin, it was released from Honda as procedure for the unit software update and at page 1/9 there is a small part dedicated to locked units in boot loop mode, since the dealer must unlock them before attempting the upgrade process.

Some units might experience "H screen stuck on" symptom. lnitially the software update will not be possible when the unit is "H screen stuck on". You will need to follow these steps before attempting the update:

• When unit is in fail mode "H screen stuck on", Press and hold the Power and Day Night button at the same time for five seconds.
    Note: Wait until the loading circle appears on the screen and then press the Power & Day Night button.
  • After five seconds the unit will switch into the reboot mode, then the unit will do a file check during rebooting. Rebooting will take approximately two and a half minutes.
    Note: The "H screen stuck on" symptom can be caused by software or a hardware failure. In case of a hardware failure, recovering is not possible and a new RM unit is necessary.

So this procedure comes from Honda, written in Service Bullettins nr. SQ-10-013-03, SQ-10-013-04, SQ-10-013-05, SQ-10-013-06, in every update release.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:02:54 PM by jazzaro »

guest6667

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 10:24:05 AM »
After seeing the above post I thought   I would share my experience  of my honda jazz mk 3 ( EX Navi 17 reg) infotainment system.
I've owned the car from new  and  it's been excellent, that is apart from the infotainment system.
When the car was 18 months old  I was sitting in a car park waiting for my wife to return from shopping. Engine switched off , so turned  system on to listen to the radio, after  about 20 mins the usual  warning flashed up on screen " battery protection please start engine"  so I started the car, the 3d H logo appears on screen followed by a 2d white logo and spinning circle  it went into a boot loop from that point, I tried all of the above fixes to na avail.
Back to Honda dealer, who said it needs an update. Update didn't work. So brand new unit fitted by Honda (thank god it was under warranty) and I'm a happy man again.
About 8 months later  Gets into the car after finishing work, starts car
And the  boot loop happened ( no on screen warning this time) again. So back to dealer again  , new unit is ordered and fitted costing £1500, I'm starting to get annoyed and worried ,now the end of warranty is getting ever closer , and Honda isn't so reliable as I thought, so I phone Honda UK  and explain the problem
and my concerns,
 honda say leave it with them, 20 mins later honda  phone me back saying they are very sorry  I've had problems with the car  , and would give me another year's full warranty on top of my remaining warranty for peace of mind.
So far  18 months on the new unit is   working fine .
But I am still a bit worried about the infotainment system in these cars I don't think they are the best quality, and I think in time more will fail, which is unfortunate because the car is excellent otherwise. 
So if you do have problems with the system, raise the issue with Honda UK, I'm sure it's not just me who's  had problems with the system.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 04:51:04 PM »
Strange issue... looks like something in the car causes problems to the radio unit...

guest6667

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 08:21:38 PM »
It might be this fault only effects the navigation models  maybe the system can't  handle the extra work of the satellite navigation, who knows?.
Very poorly thought out system  in my opinion. Why can't  the dealer reload the system software onto the unit via USB port or CD???.
The units android operating  system is a very old version  that cannot be updated, no apps are available  for the unit, and  mirror link is  old  tech,
I looked into this after the unit was replaced  for the 2nd time, hoping that when the warranty finishes and  if it broke again, some  genius some where would find a easy  inexpensive fix for the system.
Makes no sense, the whole unit as to be replaced!.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 04:59:26 AM »
I used to replace my car every 3 years and I would have p/x my 2013 in 2016. The owner reports I saw about the Honda Android headunit put me off.

In the early days, 2015,  it wasn't uncommon for the unit to randomly reboot. After it recovered it was back to factory and you lost any navigation route you'd set and all your saved radio stations gone. Not very useful mid journey.

This was finally diagnosed as too much data being thrown at the processor and was not fixed until RC8 or 9.

I'm just hoping that the Jazz MK4 has a better unit and hopefully a newer Android version than 4.0.4
Let's be careful out there !

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 09:50:24 AM »
I'm just hoping that the Jazz MK4 has a better unit and hopefully a newer Android version than 4.0.4

Its Android 8.1

Tags:

anything